Newbies > Newbies

affect of dual vs single rotor

<< < (4/4)

Bruce S:
As I stated earlier the FAQs section has a ton of info,even a wire calculator  ;D.
Here's a link that I found in there.
https://fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,143174.0.html

Bruce S

MagnetJuice:
Hi defed,

--- Quote from: defed on June 22, 2023, 10:36:16 AM ---i do know that thin wire gives more voltage, that's why i started thin, because i wasn't sure what i could even get from this tiny alternator.

--- End quote ---

A thin wire does not give more voltage. It is true that for the same coil size, you can get more turns with thin wire. Voltage is determined by the number of turns, not wire thickness.

--- Quote from: defed on June 19, 2023, 11:37:42 AM ---let's presume i have a set of coils and running a single rotor, what affect does adding a 2nd rotor have?  is only the voltage increased or also the amperage?

--- End quote ---

As others have said, adding a second rotor will increase both voltage and amperage. In other words, it will increase power (watts).

Here is an example:

The 4 foot machine from Hugh Piggott's book will produce 26 volts with 155 turns per coil, at 300 RPM.
If you add another steel disk without magnets, it will produce 38 volts. If you place magnets on the second disk, it will produce 54 volts. All with the same 155 turns per coil and at the same 300 RPM.

What are you planning to do with the power after you build your final alternator?

Ed

defed:

--- Quote from: MagnetJuice on June 25, 2023, 11:21:29 PM ---Hi defed,

--- Quote from: defed on June 22, 2023, 10:36:16 AM ---i do know that thin wire gives more voltage, that's why i started thin, because i wasn't sure what i could even get from this tiny alternator.

--- End quote ---

A thin wire does not give more voltage. It is true that for the same coil size, you can get more turns with thin wire. Voltage is determined by the number of turns, not wire thickness.

--- Quote from: defed on June 19, 2023, 11:37:42 AM ---let's presume i have a set of coils and running a single rotor, what affect does adding a 2nd rotor have?  is only the voltage increased or also the amperage?

--- End quote ---

As others have said, adding a second rotor will increase both voltage and amperage. In other words, it will increase power (watts).

Here is an example:

The 4 foot machine from Hugh Piggott's book will produce 26 volts with 155 turns per coil, at 300 RPM.
If you add another steel disk without magnets, it will produce 38 volts. If you place magnets on the second disk, it will produce 54 volts. All with the same 155 turns per coil and at the same 300 RPM.

What are you planning to do with the power after you build your final alternator?

Ed

--- End quote ---

yes, you are right, turns = volts, not wire thickness....but as you also said, you can fit more turns of thinner wire onto a given coil....so while i was technically 'wrong', i know what i meant...but i should state it accurately!

when you say dual rotors increases the watts...yes, increasing either volts or amps will increase wattage....in your example, the 4' goes from 26v to 54v, which is more than 2x voltage, and wattage, (unless you made a typo), so do the amps actually increase as well, which would more than double the output?

i have no idea what i'm going to do...charge a battery probably, but i'm so far from that as i'm still just testing the feasibility of even turning an alternator.  i still haven't gotten around to trying different wire for my coils yet.

MagnetJuice:

--- Quote from: defed on June 25, 2023, 11:32:57 PM ---(unless you made a typo), so do the amps actually increase as well, which would more than double the output?

--- End quote ---

No, I didn't make a typo and yes, the amps will increase as well.

Let’s say that your alternator's open voltage (no load), is 36 volts and you are charging a 24 volts battery. The battery is going to clamp the voltage at 24 volts, or a bit higher. You had 36 volts and now you have 24. What happened to the other 12 volts? They went into the battery as amps.

Ed

defed:
that's one thing I need to figure out, how to 'tune' the alternator to the load.  i made a single rotor 4' turbine quite a few yrs ago (15+), so it's been a long time since i worked on an alternator.  i remember the concepts of open voltage vs charging voltage, cut in, stall, etc but i don't remember how to figure it all out.  for example, if i want to charge 12v batteries, it almost seems like, hey, if i have 60v open, that HAS to be better, right?  that gives me plenty of 'extra'... but i don't think it's a matter of making the most possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version