Author Topic: How to revive old lithium cells?  (Read 1174 times)

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
How to revive old lithium cells?
« on: August 20, 2023, 07:23:45 PM »
I get lithium packs from metal scrappers that need work. Usually the balancing board got wet or a cell or two shorted out. Replacing dead cells is easy enough, bad boards mean stripping the pack for cells. Recently I got two packs that were simply weak. All the cells worked but did not put out enough current for more than a few seconds to power the device.

So I have a bunch of 18650 4v cells that are only suitable for a flashlight or portable radio. Is there any way to revive these cells? I got 2 nicad packs from an older Harbor Freight impact drill that came back by a slow long complete discharge, but a complete discharge on a lithium cell is supposed to be bad for the cell.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: How to revive old lithium cells?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 11:49:23 AM »
I have tried reviving no less that 20 of the 18650s,,, no luck on any of them. I don't think the chemistry allows them to be revived.
From all my training and reading, once they go dead, they can actually go reverse polarity (I currently have 2 that show reversed voltage ,so they are both sitting in a tin bucket of play sand).
If you find a way that is repeatable, let me know too.

Best of luck
Bruce
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 08:25:55 AM »
I get lithium packs from metal scrappers that need work. Usually the balancing board got wet or a cell or two shorted out. Replacing dead cells is easy enough, bad boards mean stripping the pack for cells. Recently I got two packs that were simply weak. All the cells worked but did not put out enough current for more than a few seconds to power the device.

So I have a bunch of 18650 4v cells that are only suitable for a flashlight or portable radio. Is there any way to revive these cells? I got 2 nicad packs from an older Harbor Freight impact drill that came back by a slow long complete discharge, but a complete discharge on a lithium cell is supposed to be bad for the cell.

Basically it is fatal to a cell, if voltage goes to 0 or near 0 it is done for, you can never trust it again
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Jackir

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 01:18:44 AM »
I've had some luck reviving weak lithium cells by doing a few charge-discharge cycles. Try charging them fully and then discharging them slowly (not all the way to 0%) a few times. It might help improve their capacity.