Author Topic: Wind Gen - Time Flies  (Read 956 times)

MickS

Wind Gen - Time Flies
« on: October 16, 2023, 02:25:06 AM »
I just looked at my last post. It was dated year 2008. It is now 2023 and I have just given the genny a bit of spit and polish.
The magnet rotors resealed with Sikaflex - to keep the water aou. Some more killrust paint to stop surface rust.
A cable that I can hook onto to keep the tail furled when I don't want it running (Saves dropping it).
I cannot remember doing it but the blades look different. I do remember fiddleing with blades so that they stall at a lower speed, I dont need the peak power, just continuous power.
Did not realise it has been running for so long and boy have the trees grown in that time.
The tower position was selected near the  big pine tree to shelter it from stormy damaging northerly winds which we can often get around here.

Still going strong
MickS15629-0

mbouwer

Re: Wind Gen - Time Flies
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 08:31:06 AM »
Great inspiration for self-builders.
Can you tell us something about your generator?

MattM

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 08:00:22 PM »
If my eyes do not betray me he used square tubing.  Looks like his tower is pretty strong.

MickS

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 02:33:30 AM »
Gosh, it is so long ago I forget the actual details like number of magnets , the number of turns on the coils etc.
I did post all the details when I built them. I still have all the files, photos etc. so I will put together a summary and post that soon.

Yep the tower is made out of square tubing . It pivots at the top of the tower so I can drop it easily to work on it. Also supported by wire rope cables and all anchored into the ground with concrete footings.

Will put more up soon if people are still interested
MickS

mbouwer

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 04:09:15 PM »

Reading your messages from years ago, I have an impression about the components.

MickS

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 04:02:18 AM »
OK, I will leave it for now unless others want me to put up new info

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 08:54:08 AM »
Is it built to plans like the dan's or hugh piggott's or your own design? That kind of longevity is pretty excellent.  I wouldn't mind seeing details.

I can also look back at your old posts if that is easier. 

What part of the world are you from?

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 01:32:28 PM »
Howdy MickS,
Great to see it still up and turning.  Thanks for checking in!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca