Author Topic: Wind Repairs - lightning  (Read 587 times)

kitestrings

Wind Repairs - lightning
« on: October 20, 2023, 07:58:11 PM »
We had a warm summer night around September 10th IIRC.  It had been a crazy wet, humid summer overall.  The windows were open above our bed.  The next thing I new, it sounded like a cannon discharged (twice actually) in the garden and lightning shook everything on this bit of ledge; our home.

Over the next few days, I found it to be 'the gift that kept giving....' nothing major, but lot's of little things no longer worked, including:

Internet - it took out our wireless antenna and injector (I think it's called)
Aux 1 & Aux 2 relays in one of the Classic charge controllers - the relays control the furling actuator and load diversion
the RPM board for the turbine
the "PA-39" control for the tail furling actuator
a RAB motion sensor, and associated exterior light relay
a small battery trickle charger

Btw, none of this is too serious.  Annoying yes, but in context of other life-affecting, and world events; pretty minor, I know.

The Classic had to be sent to Washington state, on the other side of the country from us.  MN Solar turned it around pretty quick, but quite a lot of work to dismantle and remove.

RPM gauge - fortunately I had spares:
15639-0
15640-1

Classic CC
15641-2
15642-3

PA-39 Actuator control (I had a spare)

I've got everything back together now.  The new MNGS (display) has no backlight adjustment, so I'm waiting for a replacement, but otherwise good.

More to follow...

bigrockcandymountain

Re: Wind Repairs - lightning
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 10:08:44 PM »
Do you have lightning arrestors on all the main lines and not on the furling actuator wires coming in? Do you think it was a direct hit on the tower?

I'm glad to hear it was mostly minor damage. 

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Wind Repairs - lightning
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 10:52:29 PM »
Sounds like a near miss... a direct hit would have done way more damage!