Author Topic: bleh  (Read 825 times)

jacquesm

bleh
« on: September 06, 2004, 06:54:21 PM »
It started off ok, got the registering working (thanks again, Ron). Then I wanted to make both sides of the scaled down blade. Somewhere during the first 10 minutes of routing the routers bearing decided to freeze up and it took the front of the housing (cast alumknum) with it. I tried fixing it but it's definitely beyond salvaging.

That may seem like it is not such a big deal because the thing was easily 20 years old but this router is quite special. It's an ancient black and decker unit that has 1/4" shaft and is really small in cross section, as well as very light. The important bit about that is that the Z slide on the cutter table was not designed with hoisting heavy duty routers up and down.

If anybody has a brand to recommend that's both light and does not have a problem with extended run times then I'm very interested. On the positive side the software worked pretty good, though I may have to do a side in several passes, especially near the root.

The router bearing did not seem to like such a long bite in one go (I'm anything but a woodworker, this will take me a while to get the hang of).

« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 06:54:21 PM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

Re: bleh
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 08:19:52 PM »
   I use a porter cable on mine.   Mine isn't CNC just simple pattern tracing but the router is quite nice and easy to mount.

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 08:19:52 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed