Author Topic: Post killed? Backyard battery recycling?  (Read 214 times)

nothing to lose

Post killed? Backyard battery recycling?
« on: September 19, 2007, 08:57:56 AM »
Although the post "Backyard battery recycling?" was not really RE related to making power, still it is a recycle idea. Some things could and perhaps should be said to prevent user harm, and better ideas, save the earth, etc... but I could not find the post link?

Lead posts from batteries, lead cable clamps, etc... makes very good lead for bullets!

I knew a guy, bought him out when he moved, that did this often and he was a pawn shop, gun dealer, reloader, gun smith, and had more ammo to load on his trailer than the average reserve troop probably has. Took us days to load him up to move, some house hold, mostly ammo, powder, and guns!!! I got about 200lbs of lead he did not have room to haul, about 600 rounds of assorted loose reloaded ammo also, from cast battery leads, and allot more I don't want to talk about too.

Although the plates in the batteries should probably not be used, YES the lead posts can be cut off, cut out the side mounts, Good lead!

Recycle the batteries as normal, so you lose a few OZ battery weight but with a decent supply of batteries you gain LBs of good cheap lead for sinkers or bullets at a very low cost. Many battery cable clamps were and still are made from good bullet making lead, cut them off the cables from junk cars or scrap yards!

Yes, there are all the hazzards of working with lead, there always is for what ever reason it is worked with, and we do do that in reloading etc... In RE we use batteries, and when they need junked out and they do at times, it is good to know the best way to junk them. If you do allot of shooting and your on solar and wind scraping out 2000 amps of batteries that are totally fried, then why not get the posts etc... and SAFELY cast some bullets  etc...

Lead is perfectly safe to work with, just takes $15,000 in safety equipment LOL

If TOM killed that post, hey I support ya, doing a good job, I think that one could have road a bit though. Maybe just move it if needed?

Ya. I may be back, Lead was not my problem! I think aluminum oxides from sand blasting, normal stuff for most people, was giving me severe headaches and such, even with the safety stuff. Health was getting me down allot this year, I found getting near the oxides, even if not blasting for days just moving parts, was giving me Migrains? Even the kid asked if I was ok one day, said it looked like my eye was way swoled up. It felt like it would explode and half that side of my head too.

Tons of people work with blasting media with no problems, I  may not?? But I can work with lead and it has not bothered me yet. Of course I don't want any more kids either so I don't much care about that part.

Long as I can make a hooker happy on a Friday night, LOL HAHA and that was meant for a forum friend as just a joke.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:57:56 AM by (unknown) »