Author Topic: need info  (Read 1120 times)

icicle

need info
« on: April 18, 2006, 06:48:17 AM »
Just wondering, If I lived in a city with a lot of street lights will a solar panel kick out any juice.

I would like to go off grid completely
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 06:48:17 AM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

Re: need info
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 01:48:01 AM »
They will give so little it wouldnt be worth it. Only natural light is best for solar panels. Even 180w worth of spotlights gives mine enough to work so I doubt a street light would.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 01:48:01 AM by AbyssUnderground »

dinges

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 04:40:09 AM »
Would be nice if it worked; city paying for the electricity and making light, and you harvesting that light for free and converting it back to electricity :)

But I agree with the previous poster. Too bad it won't work.

What I've once thought about; over here (Netherlands) we have communal water system, pressurised at a few bar. It should be possible to rig some kind of generator, using the energy available in the pressurised water. But, that would mean we'd have to let the tap run continuously. Not a solution for myself, but maybe there are big water users that could use it? Doubt it though, that big water users use the communal water supply.

Ah well, at least it was a nice dream.

Peter.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 04:40:09 AM by dinges »
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” (W. von Braun)

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 06:58:25 AM »
If you could build something cheap enough that works water might do something. Maybe not alot.

Just for fun I thought about building a water wheel with a small dc motor and installing it under the bath tub facet. Maybe try to modify one of those water pumps you attach to a drill, stick it on the shower pipe before the shower head and have it turn a small dc motor as water runs through it. Maybe do a drill type pump for the main water line into the house. Anytime water runs the motor spins and hopefully make a little power.

Around here people can still use a lagoon instead of a septic system. So there is no problem with running washing machine grey water into a small pond as a lagoon. Thought about doing that and put a small water wheel at the end of the pipe.

Perhaps make myself a 55gal barrel of charcoal (great filter) run washing machine water into top of barrel, filters though charcoal, drains out bottom, runs through buried pipe comes out side of hill like a spring, turns water wheel and dumps into fake pond, then evaporates in hot sun. Would be more for landscaping, decoration and looks, but should make some small power if done right. Maybe light Leds at night around the pond or driveway.  

Like I say mostly just for fun, no great power, but it might be a good way to recharge Ni-cads, batteries dead, take a bath or shower and recharge them :)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 06:58:25 AM by nothing to lose »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 03:08:02 PM »
stick a wind mill up next to the freeway. it's kind of turbulant, better use a savonius

suck all the methane gas out of the city sewer system use it for fuel
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 03:08:02 PM by electrondady1 »