Author Topic: Interconnecting Vestas 660KW  (Read 1036 times)

fathernature

Interconnecting Vestas 660KW
« on: August 12, 2004, 07:38:51 PM »
Thank you all for that excellent wind measurement information. Fortunately, I have found professionally measured data for an entire year with windrose. Everything I need. I am now focusing on a Vestas 660KW project. However, interconnecting is complicated and I do need a Power Engineer to complete data required by my local utility.

In thinking about siting near my wind data what kind of transmission line do I need to hook up the vestas 660KW? It outputs at 690 volts, 3 phase, 60 Hz. As far as I know 690 volts is very low but higher than localized distribution. Are 690 volt lines common? If there are any certified power enginners, feel free to contact me about getting in on this project.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 07:38:51 PM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: Interconnecting Vestas 660KW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 08:03:28 PM »
If your truly serious about it all... you might post on the AWEA discussion board.  There are some folks there that I belive could be helpful.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:03:28 PM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 04:29:13 AM »

There will have to be a contact for you and  will probably come from the home office of your utility .They don't like the idea (as rule ) of dealing with people with limited  knowledge and will restrict you if they can you'll have to be committed to your plan . And work ahead  . Research all possibilities the site is  critical and be ready to spend some money .  I wish you luck  .Selling power is a very good idea . I won't saddle you with a negative just prepare your self . This will be most rewarding  . You must match  your output with the power company this usually comes in the form of an isolation transformer the point that it is installed is critical so as they upgrade service you won't be asked to realign to meet their line requirements .Again good luck  Keep a string open in the form of a diary . As for your Vestas output you'll have to match the line voltage with a Transformer and switchgear.  This is a code code code game.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 04:29:13 AM by tecker »

gatu

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 02:39:55 AM »
        You dont say where you are, but in the UK, you would connect to the 11 kv local distribution network. 690 v is the internal voltage of the turbine, and would be stepped up to 11 kv by a transformer in the base of the turbine. Local distribution voltage varies from country to country, so you will have to find out the local situation. Vestas should know.

Before spending significant money, make preliminary planning enquiries, and determine if your local grid connection is strong enough to take the power from your turbine. If you need long power lines, the cost of installation goes up.

You could also see if there is any local or national turbine owners association where you live, as in the initial stages, enthusiastic owners may offer you free advise on the processes involved in developing your project. This is far better than asking basic questions of a consultant who may charge you several hundred dollars an hour for his answers.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 02:39:55 AM by gatu »

dazboot

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 09:32:48 PM »
Fathernature

What does the Vestas cost?  Im in Canada and my friends want to do the same, but im wondering how the Vestas will handle cold climates.

thanks

Dazboot

« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 09:32:48 PM by dazboot »

fathernature

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 08:47:44 AM »
ON average its around $1500 CDN per KW installed and running. Unless you are in the far north the Vestas should do fine. I'm now looking at a 1.8 MW as the same amount of 'wind developer' work is involved. Also, the 1.8 MW has an internal transformer than can be adjusted to output at up to 33kv. Here we operate with 12 and 25kv lines. Finding a power engineer willing to work for the proposed project profits is another story. Any takers?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 08:47:44 AM by fathernature »