Author Topic: Air 403 voltage changing  (Read 1653 times)

Bigwheel

Air 403 voltage changing
« on: August 06, 2007, 02:17:01 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question for you with more knowledge than I.  Got a brand new air 403 here and was going to shelve it until jerrys posting on the brains for a used 403 48volt system.  I am leaning on going with a 24 or 48 volt solar and wind setup here at my home.  I got some distance to run and the high voltage is more efficent.  Anyhow, I came across a pdf file from southwest wind power discussing being able to go 12 to 24 or 36 to 48 volt.  Basically, from what I read I should be able to convert my 12 to a 24 volt.   Anyone out there beleive that this is capiable.  I guess on the back of the boards there is a small solder bridge that needs to be removed inorder to go from 12 to 24 or add to go from 48 to 36.  Does this hold any merit??  I may be leaving out some detail but thought I would ask.  Oh, the low voltage boards have a 100ohm 5% resistor and the high voltage board has a 1k 5% resistor.  Well got to run and be a slave to the man.  Take care and thanks for your input.  Chad

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 02:17:01 AM by (unknown) »

Warrior

Re: Air 403 voltage changing
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 04:42:27 AM »
Hello Chad,

Desoldering a bridge probably means that some of the coils that were in parallel are now seriesed to make the higher voltage. Can you post a link to the pdf?

It would help to have a read.

Good choice in going to the higher voltage...

Good Luck

Warrior

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:42:27 AM by Warrior »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

snowcrow

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 05:13:29 AM »
Hi Bigwheel, you would have to rewind the stator as well I would think. Changing a resistor on the board will only effect the brains of the unit itself as to what the charging voltage will be, breaking, and so on... If you do decided to go ahead with the rewind, you might as well go all the way by calculating into your rewind for longer blades to lower the cut-in speed, and adding to the tail so it doesn't fly down wind.

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:13:29 AM by snowcrow »

Warrior

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 06:49:05 AM »
OK i just saw the file from Soutwest Windpower's website.

It seems that you need to change the turbine´s stator, either for 24 or 48 volts, then remove the jumper from the control circuit. SWWP allows you to use the electronics for different voltage set-ups. I'm guessing the stator is pretty cheap but the electronics aren't. If your turbine is 12 volts the circuit can operate @ 24v after removing the jumper, but it won't work for a 36 or 48v turbine.

In all cases you need a new stator.

Good Luck,

Warrior

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:49:05 AM by Warrior »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

Bigwheel

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 12:06:13 PM »
Hi again,

I can never seem to figure out how to add links but here's the address for the southwest site:

www.southwest-windpower.com/documents/kits/0169_AIR_403_Ind_Voltage_Conversion_Instructions.pdf

I didn't think it wouldn't be as simple of desoldering the bridge.  Line 7 of the file did mention something about a new stator.  I needed to reconfirm, If rewiring or buying another stator is necessary.  I might as well put the wire and time into my larger and lower start up axial setup. My plates at the lazer cutter are all done and just need to pick them up.  While talking about voltages, any recomendations on wire size and wraps for either 24 or 48 volts.  I'm using Mr Ed's style setup (thanks ED) I'm going to be using his provin dual rotor setup.  Anyhow, thanks for your input and after finding that file, maybe it might be useful for someone else.  Thanks again Chad  

"POWER TO THE PEOPLE"

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:06:13 PM by Bigwheel »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 07:21:24 AM »
You MUST include http:// before a link for scoop to automatically make it a clickable link. Check on preview before submitting though to make sure it works :-)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 07:21:24 AM by AbyssUnderground »

Bigwheel

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:33:14 PM »
Hi Abyss,

Sorry about the link issue.  No really computer savy,  Better with my skills in the shop than on the computer.  Next time I'll try and make it easier for you all.  Going to sit and ponder the rewiring of the stator.  Would like to put this nice little machine to use.  Got it for a song and if the cost of the stator is cheap, I may just buy it.  If not I'll probably be do some more reasearch on the rewring process, wire size and number of turns.  Lately been scoring a lot of throw away motors from work.  After reading Zubbly's posting, It got me interested in experimenting with one.  Right now, those are getting shelved for a later time.  Nice web site, got a chance to look around it eariler.  Good luck and thanks for the foresite. Chad

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 12:33:14 PM by Bigwheel »

vawtman

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 03:35:54 PM »
Hi Bigwheel

Heres a link to a post i did on the uploading links thingy.

Ghurds advice help me with Windows if thats what you have.

Never fell off the barstool trying to figure it out either.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/1/31/03735/2314

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 03:35:54 PM by vawtman »