Author Topic: Still about my power problems  (Read 865 times)

terramir

Still about my power problems
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:56:06 PM »
With the wire shorted at the battery as requested, I get about 1.3-1.4V total (both panels) And panel #1 I get 0.68V- 0.75v and panel #2 I get 0.60V- 0.65V with the diodes inline or removed didn't make a difference. Another observation, after I fiddled around with the wires I get about 3A down here it is a gain of one amp maybe when I fiddled with the wires I improved the connections a bit, Although I'd say that I'm still not getting what I should considering it's only one hour 30 min past solar noon in Los Angeles. and I suspect if I climb up there right now adding the panels up mathematically would get me 4 to 5 amps.

Thanks for having patience with me

terramir

PS: those 2 speaker wires (24AWG x2)X2 of those do make a difference albeit a very small one like +.02A - .05A consistently seems like that stuff is pretty crappy. Well bottom dollar specials what do you expect, was just using it to check a theory anyways. Also letting ya know due to me putting those on there I got a real estimate of the wire length now it's like 80 ft. round trip.

PLease discuss this in the original thread rather than spread it out. You will find it much easier to follow.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:56:06 PM by (unknown) »

Spdlmt150

Re: Still about my power problems
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:18:48 PM »

When I first got my panels (4x75w) I used 18g speaker wire to hook them up just so I could see something coming in from them. I wasn't at all happy with the results. After seeing how little they were pushing, I got some 6ga and shortened the run as much as possible. This went as far as relocating the charge controller & batts to keep the line length down. This gave me quite a difference in output. The larger gauge wire costs, but it will definitely pay off with the results. The shorter the run (at low voltages) the more you will see coming in. Same thing with my current windmill project - 2-5 amps at the batt thru a fairly long run of speaker wire, quite a bit higher at the rectifiers.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 05:18:48 PM by (unknown) »