Author Topic: Completed 6' blades  (Read 809 times)

Wes

Completed 6' blades
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:58:36 AM »
Here's the rotor I built. Only 6', but they're my first blades...I'm thinking >10' for next set. I can't wait to get the 6 footer up and flying.

"80%"">

I'm thinking of using a rear wheel car hub, the angled bearings should be up for the task.

here's the metal plates I cut out for the mag rotor...I guess they might be too thin though. Note the spoke shave. I used all hand tools for material removal...it would've been too easy if I had power tools, right?

we have image posting rules here 640 x 480 pixels or less and under 150KB not 1000+ pixels and 400+ KB also half your pictures were broken anyway.... missing file names....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:58:36 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Completed 6' blades
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:52:44 AM »
Nice work.

For smaller blades hand tools have some advantages, they make no noise and much less mess and as long as you have reasonable timber it can be nearly as quick. When you get up into the big stuff then roughing out with a chain saw seems the easiest way but even at 10ft you can still do it by hand.

If those discs are the 1/8" ones I replied to elsewhere then yes they are too thin. I hope you didn't use the spokeshave on them.

The hub looks excellent for the job. You look to be making a really nice job and if you are struggling with the discs I think you may be better buying them rather than compromising some otherwise excellent work.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:52:44 AM by Flux »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 05:01:50 AM »
Wes;

You seem to have missed / ignored the photo posting guidelines.

One of the photo cops will probably write you a citation for it later. I don't  have time to try to fix it myself just now.

Looks nice, but rules is rules.

Tom

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:01:50 AM by TomW »

Wes

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
Thanks Flux! yea I am scraping the 1/8th" discs. The doubling/quadrupling up idea didn't sit right with me. I may breakdown and buy the 1/4" nicely machined rotors from the products page, but not until I prove that I can't do it myself reasonably.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:16:19 AM by Wes »