Author Topic: Electric Recumbent Trike  (Read 23328 times)

zeusmorg

Electric Recumbent Trike
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:47:52 AM »
 First. Let me explain a little bit about this project.

Back when I was a teenager, I envisioned a one passenger "car" that would be able to be either human-powered or powered off of rechargable batteries. Unfortunately at the time (70's) the technology was not available. Oh sure they had crates that had golf cart parts in them and would go 50 miles (maybe)...

My goal is to buy the component parts, and assemble a form of transportation that anyone could use most anywhere and not have to rely on purchasing expensive gasoline and come in on a budget of under $2,000 U.S.

The further goals are that this "bike" would conform to the existing laws of my state and to be able to keep up with city traffic, in most situations. So that would require a max speed of 30 MPH at least. This  should also have the ability to easily climb most hills with some pedal assistance, if necessary.

I also wanted a range of at least 50 miles. This would suit most anyone's commutes. I would also prefer a further range of around 100 miles on an extended battery pack.

I started off with a recumbent trike that was purchased (with shipping) for under $1,200 there are several models around that fit into this price range, mine is an actionbent T1 model. The next major purchase was a hub motor, mounted on a 700c wheel and all the associated controls and components.

The best deal I found was from GoldenMotor and that purchase came in at $450 with shipping. There were some cheaper options from them, however I decided to go with probably their most expensive setup which is a 1000w hub motor and associated components. I did not buy any battery solution from them, however and for the lower voltage motors, (they offer both 24v and 36v options in 500w and 750w and they may have been a better choice)

I knew that I would run into mounting and wiring problems with their kit, since they are designed with  more standard bikes in mind. I did not, however have to lengthen many wires.

I chose to go with Ni-cad battery packs to mount on the rack and with the help of BruceS accomplished this rather cheaply! He provided me with recycled sub-c battery packs already assembled into 19.2v (fully charged) ni-cad packs. 3 of them in series  hit my target voltage perfectly, and from those I could parallel them to provide more amperage. I also got some re-cycled AGM batteries to mount on a trailer to provide my extended range.

I decided to go with XLR connectors for my battery packs, as I had quite a few already lying around.

I found a good AC charger for $60, which would provide me with approximately the charging amperage I needed for my primary pack system, it will charge at between c10 and c20 depending on my final setup.

More to come.....

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:47:52 AM by (unknown) »

zap

• There's an app for that
Re: Electric Recumbent Trike
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:56:17 AM »
Sounds like fun zeusmorg, I've always wanted to try a tadpole.

Lets see some pictures!!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:56:17 AM by zap »

zeusmorg

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »
 After I received the recumbent (in pieces, in a box) (major assembly required)

I started putting the pieces together. This is not a difficult task for anyone with any skills in using hand tools.

I did run into some issues as in what to assemble first, etc. probably the worst part about it was getting the fenders on, and properly aligned. I still need to work on that a bit. It does require a bit of thinking and planning so you don't have to re-route things later. My biggest problem was in the placement of a brazeon cable holder for the front shifter, badly placed and causes some binding. Solution to come later.

The overall setup and specifications on this recumbent trike were very nice indeed.

Not top of the line, state of the art, mind you, but overall good quality components.

Brakes consist of two front mounted disks, one controlled by each hand.No rear brake.

Specifications:

Frame: Main tubes Chrome-Moly, boom and some parts Aluminum Alloy 7005

Boom Tube: Alloy 7005, telescopes in/out

Seat: Fiberglass-reinforced plastic w/headrest

Handlebar: Alloy, Handlebar radius adjustable approx 21-29" lever to lever

Shifter: SRAM Attack twist grips, 27 Speeds

Lever: Avid Digit 5

F/Derailler: Shimano

R/Derailler: Shimano Deore

Crank: FSA Gossamer 50/39/30, alloy in silver

Freewheel: Sram 970, 11-34 9 speeds

Hub: Alloy CNC, left in front 20 holes. Standard in rear 32 holes

Tire: 100PSI 20"/1.25 front; 700c x 1.25" rear

Pedal: Alloy VP 196 Combo clipless/strapped

Brakes: Avid 160mm Disks

Wheelbase: 41" -- Outermost width 32"

Overall Len: @75" (variable)

Seat Height: 9" ground to base

Load Rating: 120kg or 265 pounds

Weight: 42 pounds 19.09 Kg

Once assembled and all the shifters properly adjusted It is a joy to ride!

It is a bit difficult to get into and off of but yer butt DOES end up very close to the ground! I do recommend using clipless shoes (dunno why they call then clipless they clip in!) Because holding your legs out in front of you otherwise can become a strain!

My big complaints are the assembly manual was "generalized" and this would confuse some people, I'd like to see chain routing shown better. And the seat cushion is held to the fibreglass frame by self-adhesive velcro I know that will eventually

fail.

More to come..

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:28:52 AM by zeusmorg »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »
Looks good man... Any provision for regenerative braking?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:40:59 AM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:30:49 AM »
Zeusmorg;

She sure looks nice!!

Glad to see you went with the 1000 watter!! How does it do on a hill?

How is the trailer coming along? The connectors holding up to the current okay?

Bruce S

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:30:49 AM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

spinningmagnets

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
Fun project Z! E-bikes occupy a middle ground that allows both sides to dislike them! Car drivers (without you having said a word) feel you are accusing them of being fat, lazy, and resource hogs.

Manual bike riders often say "Oh, I get it! you have a motor...wait a minute, thats cheating!"

I'm certain that bikes with a motor get ridden more often than ones without.

I remember reading one post from a E-trike rider with a trailer. On a long downhill with a full pack, his brakes got pretty hot. He added 3 resistive coils (set out in the air as a dump load), so after flipping switches he could adjust how much drag the motor created to add a type of rear-wheel regen-brake...but of course his cheap/easy solution didn't actually put any juice back into the battery.

Just a thought...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:30:22 AM by spinningmagnets »

Jon Miller

• Otherpower UK
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:40:18 PM »
I have an ebike but I would love your bike with that 1000 watt motor!!! mines only 250watt!

I saw this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290284900685&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&a
mp;viewitem=&salenotsupported

Its a regenerative speed controller, I would get one but sadly my motor has a one way bearing in it to stop drag.

What amp hour is your battery pack?

how far do you get from a pack?

I went with lithium ion battery pack with mine and it is great.

Regards

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:40:18 PM by Jon Miller »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:17:57 PM »
The batteries to go 50 miles without pedaling much will cost as much as the bike unless you use SLA's. I have a 24v Currie from WallyWorld. In Flatland (Florida) it's okay, but 2 12AH 12v SLA's weigh a lot. A nice set of LiFePO batteries would cost $600.

The Currie charger uses an XLR plug, too.

The legal limit for power (as a bicycle) in Florida is 750 watts, mine is only 450w.

I like the third wheel on yours. If you want to stop, you don't have to dismount. The elderly here favor trikes for getting around Century Village.

A collapsible Bimini top would be nice for when it rains or the sun is too strong.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:17:57 PM by dnix71 »

Old F

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 08:49:37 PM »
I just never liked the recumbent your setting so low to the ground

Your road kill waiting to happen  

Its bad enough  on two wheels an you can look the driver in the eye an they still cant see you

You should think about flying a flag  any thing to make your self more visible

Off my road safety soap box

Old F

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:49:37 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

zeusmorg

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »
 Now comes the fun bits!

I purchased the following components for this to start the e-bike process : 48v 1000w

PMG PWM hub motor, controller with the following features: Cruise control,Pedalec(a feature that measures your pedaling, and adds boost in equal proportion via the hub motor),regenerative braking,reverse and horn,(which I choose not to implement) and an anti-theft system that sounds an alarm, and throws the motor into regen making it REALLY difficult for someone to pedal away on it! Brake levers w/switches to toss it into regen mode (whohoo! rear brakes now),thumb throttle with an integrated cruise switch and 3 light power level indicator.

This basically came as a configurable kit from Golden Motor. The build quality as far as looks on every thing is very nice.The hub motor came pre-laced in a 700c hub with heavy duty spokes (you can buy the motor separate) The wheel (which was black matching my existing ones) also accommodated my presta valve.

First hurdle was to figure out what rear gear cluster to buy to replace my cassette type. and keep a similar range. i ended up finding a shimano 6 speed cluster and bought a matching indexed twist shifter. Installation is easy , just screw it on, and your pedaling force will tighten it up later. I dod not think that a torque compensator arm was necessary as the rear forks on this recumbent are very heavy duty.

So i just spread the forks the necessary width, fitted in the washers, and torqued it into place and locktited the nuts.

Next was figuring out the placement of the components. getting everything to work out on the handlebars was a bit of a challenge, First off, the bars point upwards not crossed like most bikes, and this has caused some problems with what and where things will go! then routing the wires, and the placement of the controller.

I wanted the controller near the rear wheel, of course, so I elected to mount it under the rack, and got a plastic box to put controller, alarm horn and electrical connectors in. I also added female XLR connectors to both sides.

It turned out my box was a BIT too wide to fit between the rack uprights. seems Didn't read the bit about the box dimensions being interior, not exterior! also clearance between the rack and the fender was a problem, so for now the box will reside on top of the rack.(solution can wait)

My biggest mounting of component problem was the pedalec pickup and magnets.

It was designed to slip on the crankset crank rod, however mine was WAY too big in diameter to accommodate this. so I think i came up with a rather elegant solution by super gluing f magnets to my inner crankset gear, and placing the pickup under the bike, I tried just super gluing the pickup to the bike after filing the body of the pickup to the curvature, however the superglue didn't seem to like the rubber like compound of the pickup so I'll have to add a metal bracket.  

Don't get me wrong, there have been a lot of little niggly problems I've encountered, and extending the wiring on the pedalec sensor was one! I cut the connector off, thinking that I had an extra connector in the box provided, well guess what? It was the ONLY connector I didn't have an extra of! OOPS! I finally cut through the plastic of the connector enough to acess the ends of the terminals. (tough stuff in those connectors) Used needles to speread them, inserted the new wires, clamped them down with my mini-needle nose pliers, put a needle in my soldering iron and added some solder, that was LOADS of fun!

Running a wire only to find out I had it crossed wrong somewhere and re-threading it through cables and things..

I had done an early test with a cobbled together battery pack that hung from one side of the rack, BADLY imbalancing the bike. Hanging 15 lbs on one side.. BAD IDEA!

The initial test run was nice! whohoo! POWER! but.. i felt a bump, and looking back my batteries were hanging askew, and suddenly the bike wasn't running right, limped it home in spits and jerks of e-power and pedaling..

At this point the build was interrupted by a bit of surgery I had to go through, and recovery afterwards slowed things down..

So I pulled out my limited skills with my old 1947 singer sewing machine. (which i had to do a bit of work on th get it back up and sewing) and made a set of panniers strong enough to accommodate my primary battery pack, which at this point consists of 3 sets of 3 sub-c cell packs on each side giving me a grand total of 288 sub-c cells configured to output 50.6v Max, and 7.8 Ahr and at a weight of 27 lbs. (thanks again to BruceS for generously contributing said sub-c cells to this project!)

More to come....

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:43:20 PM by zeusmorg »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 10:20:07 AM »
Z,

That looks really nice.

If I could ask the stupid question...  Did you choose to have only one motor, on the back, deliberately, or were there other considerations that forced that?  It looks to me like you've struck a balance between having one driven wheel, which includes an option for regenerative braking, plus two wheels with disk brakes.  It sounds like an optimal situation, but were there any alternatives that you considered that might have worked?  

The batteries don't have to be attached just "on top" of the rack.  You could mount them on the sides of the rack, like saddle bags, only rigid.  That would also get their weight a bit lower to the ground.

I doubt any thief would be daunted by the regen brake set.  Anybody can pick it up and plunk it in the box of a pick-up.  I wouldn't leave an eye-catcher like that on the street (depending on where you live & work).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:20:07 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »
is there a speedometer on this thing?
is it zippy !
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:18:56 PM by electrondady1 »

zeusmorg

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
 Now on to the BAD news...

I finally got all the pieces / parts in place for my final testing. Hopped on, hit my power switch and....three beeps... no throttle!!! OH NO!!!!! well, this thing is supposed to function at 1/2 power with several malfunctions, so i read how to do it, and nope it didn't work. The 3 beeps by the way is supposed to indicate a bad throttle, and having a twist throttle also, i hooked it up and had the same results.

After going over my connections thoroughly I pretty much came to the conclusion that the controller was at fault. I took a multi-meter and went over all the connections, checked power etc.. I've also done several other tests suggested by people on a few e-bike forums, and some Ross came up with.

So, I e-mailed the company and got back a reply it must be my connections.I tested them again, Right now I'm playing ping-pone e-mail with the company tech.

Waht it's doing: connect battery, switch on. hit throttle, no response. hit cruise control button , one pulse of power, then nothing.three beeps again ,, hit cruise one pulse. There is also a failsafe mode where you hold the brake lever then hit the cruise button, the horn beeps once then you are supposed to be able to hit the cruise button and ride with 1/2 power. In several failures, including hall sensor failures.

Doing this only gets me one pulse, then nothing. At this point I will see what the Golden Motor company will do. I am getting frustrated, and I do not want to wait forever to get this situation resolved..

Now to try and answer some questions, at least the ones i can at this point.

"lets see some pictures!"  ok.. http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/albums.php there are more pictures to come.

"Any provision for regenerative braking?" Yes

" How does it do on a hill?

How is the trailer coming along? The connectors holding up to the current okay?"  I don't know yet, the trailer is in the works, and hmmm.....

"What amp hour is your battery pack?" I have several, from 1.3Ahr up to 7.8 currently and a provision for plugging in several concurrently.

"how far do you get from a pack?" I wish i knew.

"I went with lithium ion battery pack with mine and it is great." I like the lithium ion option however due to cost, I decided not to go that route...yet.

"is there a speedometer on this thing? is it zippy !" Yes i have a speedometer (temporarily mounted due to wire length),and yes it's zippy, but as to how zippy with the hub motor, I don't know...yet

Yes I did consider many solutions to what i would do and how I would design this. All hub motors that i know of require being mounted in a fork, so powering the front hubs was out of the question, and overkill to boot! I had considered a separately mounted motor powering the left side of the wheel, but overall I think the options i picked simplify things, and work sufficiently well, and still fall within the budget I set for this project.

I have yet to put on ALL the safety and security features I plan. I also purchased an alarm which will go off if someone fools with it and let me tell you it is LOUD! I also carry with me at all times a cable lock. So with the 3 security features all combined, I hope no one will steal my PRECIOUS!

Also you will note in the otherpower album, I have already added a headlight, 56 led 4 function low, med, high, and flashing. I also have two more 5 led headlights 5 led that I plan on mounting either to the fender or brackets. The rear will have turn signals, and a brake light and also a flashing warning light. The tires have reflector stripes, and i have some reflectors to mount on the spokes. I also have some blue/red flashing led's that I'll shine at the tires at night.. I also plan to have a safety flag. when i can find one. My rear view mirror solution isn't working (too flimsy) so i am still working on rear view mirrors. This thing will be lit up like a christmas tree at a thanksgiving parade. Also just due to the very nature of it being so unusual looking, drivers, and pedestrians seem to notice it easily! There is also a high awareness of bicycles in the main areas I ride, in, many bike lanes abound in this town. so no, I do not think I'm roadkill waiting to happen.

More to come... as the saga continues, this post brings me up to the current issues.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:09:32 PM by zeusmorg »

zap

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 06:59:04 AM »
DOH!  Sorry to hear that zeusmorg.  I'm sure the setbacks and problems will soon be ironed out and you'll be on the road.

It sounds as though you have things well thought out... now it's just getting the pieces to play well together.

I get a "403" access error at your anotherpower link.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 06:59:04 AM by zap »

zeusmorg

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 07:35:16 AM »
 Wolv seems to be having problems with the server that the pictures are on. Patience please as he does try to keep that site up and running!

I am getting a bit frustrated by what feels like a runaround by Golden Motor, at this point I'm not totally writing them off as a supplier for e-bike stuff. They do have a lot of different offerings, not just things for e-bikes, and seem to add things on a constant basis. The information alone gets updated, and there's more info about my system than there was when i purchased it!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:35:16 AM by zeusmorg »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »
Z

Not sure what all you're tried, but if you have 4 SLAs wired them up for 48V, bypass the NiCds and see if that will get you going. The controllers are builts with L_A batts in mind so that's a good staring point.

Another bypass would be to hook the battery pack directly to the motor, it'll go full out of course, but that'll tell you which one it is.

Golden Motor: They do offer some good stuff, tech-support mostly seems to be reading from a script, but they will come around...

The upgraded controller we got for the 550Watter went belly up 60 days into it and took me several times to "convince" them I knew what I was doing, even offered to him train their techs at one point...

They will come around, if you're playing email tag, send tons of testing data to them they'll stop with the 50 questions and send which ever part is at fault.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:10:08 AM by Bruce S »

zeusmorg

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 08:35:20 AM »
 Worth a try....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:35:20 AM by zeusmorg »

zeusmorg

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »
 Well upon further testing, I've found that there is no voltage present to the throttle. So It looks like my assumption of a bad controller was right all along, waiting for a response (once again) from Golden Motor.

Hopefully i can get this situation resolved in a timely manner.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:55:23 PM by zeusmorg »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 06:10:08 AM »
please keep us up to date zeusmorg

for leverage you may wish to inform the company that you are posting the information

on an 11,000 member forum and the performance and reputation of golden motor corporation is being considered by us.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:10:08 AM by electrondady1 »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 06:19:23 AM »
E1;

Nearer 12K registered users now, actually.

Readers is a total unknown as I don't see those stats.

Tom

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:19:23 AM by TomW »

huntedheads

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 06:48:55 AM »
Nice looking bike butt I think it's a little closer to the ground than I prefer.Here is my home built bike. The bike is a 21 speed mountain bike from wal-mart and everything else is scrounged or built.

Motor:450 watt

Battery: 24V 14 amp hr flooded

Max speed 21mph

Range: Makes 7 mile trip to work and back.

It's a 26" bike, I'm just tall.

All load up and off to work I go!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:48:55 AM by huntedheads »

zeusmorg

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »
 Very nice looking conversion.

I had personal reasons for going with a recumbent trike, mainly it's called a pain in the ass!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 07:43:37 AM by zeusmorg »

zeusmorg

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »
 Well, my correspondence with Golden Motors has been less than satisfactory. I really feel I am getting the runaround, I'll let you guys decide here is a copy of my most recent e-mails to them.

Dear Sirs.

I recently purchased a 48v 1000w rear hub motor kit. I have finally gotten it assembled on a recumbent only to find out it does not work.

I get 3 beeps when testing, which indicates a bad throttle. As I had the twist throttle also I substituted it for testing purposes,to the same result. I have also checked out all the components external of the controller and can find no faults.

I also added inline fuses from the battery pack for protection,which is something you should consider adding to the package.

This has led me to the conclusion that I received a faulty controller. I do wish to get this replaced in a timely manner. My question is, how do i get this resolved?

This project was started with the possibility of adding electric recumbents to our line of

products. However until I can verify the quality of what I sell, I will not go forward.

My controller has the numbers MX-48C-EB-D  09030467 on the label.

To: xxx@hotmail.com

Subject: goldenmotor

Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 10:19:15 +0800

Hello Sir

Before sending,we have test all of your products.

If gets 3 beeps,the problem must from throttle.Maybe there is some problem with the throttle connector from the controller.

The best way to test is cut off the wires (green,black,red--white,blue,red).Make these wires are connected directly,without connector.

Another way is to do as "item 5"  

Thanks

Tom

Goldenmotor

Dear Sirs,

I still have the same situation.

I bypassed the plugs from the throttle and cruise control switch and soldered them together. I ge 3 beeps on power up. I tried step 5 and I get no beep. and I also get no power to the hub motor, except a quick "jerk" and that's all, and this is not consistent.

I also checked resistance on all other contacts and found them all good.

The battery pack I am using is fully charged,  this is a 48V ni-cad pack and fully charged gives me 51.6 V.

The alarm and anti-theft function , however does work.

Tom: zhourenli@goldenmotor.com

To: xxx@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: faulty controller

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 06:24:35 +0800

Hello sir

If it still has anti-theft function,the controller is okay.

The problem  is still from the wires been connected.

Could you take a photo or movie to me?

What the meaning of quick "jerk"?

Is that when you turn your throttle,quick "jerk" from motor?

Regards

Tom

GoldenmotorDear Sir,

The problem is NOT from the wires connected. I have taken a multi-meter and established that there is 0 resistance across every connector to the controller.

I removed and inserted the plugs on the controller several times, inspected them visually and see nothing wrong with those connectors.  I tested every switch.

I swapped out the twist throttle to test.

I have checked my voltages to the controller.

The only thing I haven't made sure is good are the throttles themselves. I tried testing them off the bike, with a multimeter to see if i got varied resistance and I get no results on either one. Of course I am not sure what these readings should be.

My results are consistent. I plug in my battery pack, turn on the soft switch I get 3 beeps. Then if I hit the cruse control button, one pulse is sent to the motor, that is all.it will not do this again until it is turned off and back on. If i turn off the soft switch and move the bike then the alarm sounds and the motor "locks up".

I also tried step 5 holding the brake lever while hitting the cruise control button 5 times. It will beep once, and then upon hitting the cruise control button i will get one pulse to the motor.

I get no response whatsoever from either throttle when connected to the controller.

I am no amateur when it comes to electric troubleshooting. I worked several years as an import car technician, and I was relied on to find strange electrical problems.

Sent:     Wed 6/03/09 9:17 PM

To:     xxx@hotmail.com)

Hello sir

There is something wrong with your wires.

The thin green wire from the throttle should  connect red wire,(+),not black wire(-).

Best Regards

Tom

Goldenmotor

To:      tom goldenmotor (zhourenli@goldenmotor.com)

That black wire has a WHITE stripe. it's positive.

From the golden motor forum:

Re: Bad Controller?

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:41:31 PM »

This might help,

With the controller powered up there should be 5 volt dc between the red wire (T1) and the black wire (Z).

The red wire should be positive.

As you turn the twist grip or press the thumb throttle the voltage between the black wire (Z) and the white wire (T2) should increase from zero to about 5 volts with the white wire (T2) being positive. You should be able to read these values at your splice and also at the controller terminals which are a little harder to get to.

If these values are all correct, I would say you have some other problem.

Other people that have had simular but different problems on the formum have missed the connection from the "g" terminal to the positive side of the battery.

good luck

Hi,

All I can say on the matter is that I found it usefull to use a stick connector to make all the connections, this forces you to use the wiring diagram availible on goldenmotor.com (which is correct), is neater than using the connectors supplied and should help in trouble shooting.

Good luck,

There should be a varied resistance across the throttle.

With the controller powered up I get .86 v across the red and black wires.  I wiggled, the connections on the controller, and also pulled it apart and reconnected it. Same results.

I get no reading between the black and white wires on voltage.

Nor do i get a varied resistance reading,ccbreder are you sure the reading ia variable on resistance? I don't believe the throttle is a potentiometer.

Sorry but i have no clue what a stick connector is. I've checked my wiring against the schematics and It is all wired properly. I did add inline fuses for safety.

Hello Sir

Please check your voltage.

When you put throught your battery.

1.The voltage of throttle

red and green wire:4.4V

red and black wire:4.4V

2.The voltage of hall

red and black wire:4.9V

green and black wire:4.9V or 0V(when you turn your wheel,the voltage will change)

yellow and black wire:4.9V or 0V(when you turn your wheel,the voltage will change)

blue and black wire:0V or 4.9V(when you turn your wheel,the voltage will change)

If the voltage is normal,your motor will work.

Best Regards

Tom

Goldenmotor

I really feel I am getting the runaround here.

I have TESTED EVERYTHING. All these tests point to a faulty controller.

If you had read my e-mails, you would see the results.

My shipping address is:

xxx-xxx

xxx

I expect a replacement throttle to be shipped out in the next 24 hours.

If these conditions are not met. I will begin posting all this correspondence in the various forums that I am a member of.

These would include most of the bicycle forums that are on the internet.

It would also include most of the EV forums on the internet.

It also includes several Renewable energy forums that are on the internet.

So now my question to you is, Is continuing this runaround really worth all the bad press that will be generated?

Up to this point, I feel i have been extremely patient in attempting to get this resolved, however that patience is at an end.

So do you really wish to loose me as a customer over the $74 cost of a controller?

Do you really wish to loose the potential customers that will search the various forums looking for which system to buy?

This will also be posted to your own forum now.

So I personally feel I have given them the benifit of the doubt at this point.

They should've given me ALL the testing parameters in the first e-mail.

If that had been done, and if they had EVER given me a shipping address to return this controller, It would be there, and my new one would already be on the way.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:38:46 PM by zeusmorg »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »
Be nice if the responder could communicate in proper English, too.

Technical communication requires fluent language skills, not broken English. Pet peeve of mine WRT support.

I think they are shining you on and seem to be too stupid to realize you know it?

Demand the contact info for this YoYos supervisor cut to the chase.

Hope you paid by Credit Card so you have some recourse.

Tom

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:53:35 PM by TomW »

zeusmorg

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 09:20:41 PM »
 Well, I have now had 5 e-mails in this that have gone with no response. I've yet to get one to my latest 2 e-mails. I have also e-mailed the owner. No response of yet.

So let's just say even IF this turns out to be good quality materials in the long run, their customer service is poor, at best!

It is very possible that I did get a rare bad controller, yet I just want this thing to work.

Yes I did pay with a credit card, and I have already started that process, which anyone knows who has had to go that route can be a long road.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:20:41 PM by zeusmorg »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 10:22:22 PM »
Z, have you posted any info over at endless-sphere? Someone might be able to offer some good advice. Golden Motor customer service has occasionally posted. ES is probably the biggest E-bike forum (you may already know). Here's some "Golden Motor" threads from the ES search, some good...some bad.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10824

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10363

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10469

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8807

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9939

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:22:22 PM by spinningmagnets »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 10:43:26 PM »
Quite nice on the conversion, thanks for posting...

Not trying to be harsh; the pixs be oversize as Photo Size is limited to 150K bytes and/or 640x480.. Please resize your photos before posting them since there is no edit function on comments the usual is to delete them.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:43:26 PM by DanG »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 05:49:17 AM »
Sounds like my experience with the Doc Wattson customer support over one that randomly resets the data and blanks out.

Kept sending the same message with slightly different wording to the effect of "they never fail except from over voltage" Which is pure BS.

Never got any satisfaction there, either but I chose to let it go rather than get all stressed out over $60.

No product can claim it never fails but they expected me to accept it as their policy on customer failures.,

Golden Motor apparently expects you to accept that their testing is 100% effective and their product is not capable of failing after it passes said testing. BS again.

Anyway, I can't get going on this general customer service topic it will make me kill something.

At least Doc Wattson was smart enough to have fluent English speakers working their email so I knew what was being said without having to guess.

Tom

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 05:49:17 AM by TomW »

zap

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 07:40:44 AM »
I've seen a few bad reviews on GoldenMotor products but it seemed to me they had cleaned up their act in the last year or so.

As spinningmagnets has said, endless-sphere has tons of information.

Usually, the poor English in emails and owner's manuals is a good source of entertainment or at least good for a chuckle or two.

If I had as many "clams" tied up in a product as is the case here, it would frustrate the heck out of me.

If it was me, I'd be working hard to get the credit refund and looking down the road for a different product.

Sorry zeusmorg, hope you get it fixed one way or another.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:40:44 AM by zap »

zap

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 07:47:28 AM »
huntedheads you must be tall... you make that bike look like a 24"!  I love the battery holders but unless it's just the angle of the photo, are the batteries different sizes?

"...everything else is scrounged or built."

I'm using the same motor as you in a project.  What are you using for a controller?  Or are you just switching the power on and off?

Nice project.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:47:28 AM by zap »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 01:16:41 PM »
Z,

I also have an account with them. I've had a few "little" problems; like missing connectors etc, but they always just said okay and shipped them.

I just sent my contact an email stating that I saw a long outstanding "problem and wish to close my open account".

I stated your on going problem and since I knew your knowledge with electronics that I thought they would handle this better and am taking my biz else where.

Now I have NO dilussions that my little open account with them will have a rain drop's chance in the ocean of getting any further. BUT who knows, enough of these and they'll possibly listen.

Best of luck!!

Bruce S

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:16:41 PM by Bruce S »

zeusmorg

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »
 Ah well, other than this, it seems like a good product, too bad their customer service has treated me this way..

Oh, here's the "latest" runaround:

Dear Sir,

Please e-mail yaoyuan@goldenmotor.com

Do not e-mail sales@goldenmotor.com because that is for sales enquiry only.

www.goldenmotor.com/SMF is the GM forums, please seek help there.

We apologize for not making this clear enough on the website.

We hope you would understand.

Yours,

Yao Yuan

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:38 PM,

Dear Sir,

It seems as though your support staff has chosen to ignore me.

I have been attempting to resolve this situation for way too much time now, and the customer support is poor at best.

You really need to re-think how you choose to operate your customer support.

My e-mails have been ignored, or poorly read.

I have a bad controller and I have been very patient up to this point in attempting to get it replaced.

Since it seems your company chooses not to replace bad components, I will be informing

prospective buyers of your business practices via the various forums.

I really feel that this situation has gone on long enough.

One satisfied customer can gain you 10 new ones, one dissatisfied customer can loose you 50.

I was really hoping to do more business with you as I own a bicycle store, and we are going to be offering e-bike conversions in the future, it looks like i will have to take my business elsewhere.

If i ran my business as you do, I probably would be out of business now.

xxx

Hmmm,,,,,

I DID E-MAIL THAT ADDRESS ALSO!

I've also tried contacting through their forum.

gotta love it!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:38:01 PM by zeusmorg »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 03:07:37 PM »
Man-o-man;

I was hopeing they would come through. That's ok, I can go elsewere too.

There's just too many others available for a site to have such poor CS.

We fire people in our office for being rude one too many times.

There's an old saying

"Take Care of Your Customers OR Someone Else Will"

Cheers & Good luck.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:07:37 PM by Bruce S »