Author Topic: Update on wind turbine project  (Read 1893 times)

SDSUMetalHead

Update on wind turbine project
« on: June 14, 2009, 08:50:23 PM »
I am attaching some schematics I was working on a week or so ago. A recap of my project is that I'm doing a senior design project and we are trying to determine the feasability of mounting a turbine on a silo. We are currently working on making smaller scale models for testing. I did some calculations and schematics to determine swept area and torque. I am doing this to decide on what size of magnets/coils to use to make the generator. I decided to make the generator sized to our prototype model at a 5' diameter. Then we will build other models and size them to a close swept area (for vawt models). In the end if we cannot obtain much energy from those models we are going to use the generator to build a size HAWT that is best for the generator. I am having a hard time finding a theoretical TSR since my hope is that this design reduces the drag and increases the tsr. I could always design for the worst case scenario I suppose. I would appreciate some help looking at my schematic and calculations and pointing out where the mistakes are. Notice that my design wants to use blades that are able to rotate X amount of degrees. I am also trying to think of a way to use airfoils as blades to somehow incorporate lift into a typically drag based application. I used a compass and straight edge and a scaled ruler to come up with the distance the blades could rotate. I chose 8 blades because I think it would be wise to use more blades since the purpose is to get rid of most of the drag from each blade. My group is at stall until I can come up with the magnet sizes and magnet wire size. We were hoping to get the generator done this summer. Any help or suggestions with the generator sizing would be extremely appreciated! I thought maybe Ed Lenz could help since he somehow figured out the generator for his VAWT. I do not know how to put photos in the diary entries, but in my files the two pictures are called wind3 and wind4.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:50:23 PM by (unknown) »

SDSUMetalHead

Re: Update on wind turbine project
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »

Here are the pictures. I sized them right (I HOPE!) It is hard to see with the small sizes so hopefully you can resize them on your own computer.

Thanks,

SDSU MetalHead

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:08:10 PM by SDSUMetalHead »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:33:47 AM »
just want to say that utilizing a silo as a windmill platform

has always appealed to me.

you have packed a lot of information in your post.

I've read it a few times.

it appears you want to build an alternator that will work for several different design exercises.

i want to warn you one of the most difficult things to do is match an alternator to a vawt.

would it be possible to simply spin a d.c.motor as an electrical producer and run varius size pullys to it so could still get a comparison output.

or perhaps just decide on a size of hawt that you would like in the end and build the alternator to suit it .

that same alternator will work to some degree on all your designs.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:33:47 AM by electrondady1 »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »
just wanted to add,

with all due respect to your motorcycle building sponsor.

useing a multi stator design is not the optimal layout for a wind generator.

if all the copper and mags were laid out in a single dual rotor configuratation it would produce a great deal more power.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:51:07 AM by electrondady1 »

SDSUMetalHead

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »
The guy who built the multi-stator wind turbine is not our sponsor. He just helped us build some models and was an information resource. I agree with the idea of building the generator with the final HAWT in mind and I was thinking one way to match it to the vawt is by varying the distance between the stator and rotors according to the rpm and tsr each vawt model turns. Or possibly using no-load spin on each vawt trial and trying to match the alternator to the best vawt under no load. Then if I cannot get my results to be sufficient we can build the hawt. I was thinking either that or building Ed's generator on his site and trying to increase the swept area some to try to get the maximum output out of his design...I will bring both options up to my team so we can get the project going. Thanks for the insight. Sorry for all of the scrambled thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:06:06 AM by SDSUMetalHead »

SDSUMetalHead

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 08:44:25 PM »
I have a plan. Does anyone know of a combination of the following materials.  5 lbs AWG 14 magnet wire http://www.powerwerx.com/product.asp?ProdID=2094&CtgID=1002. 25 1&1/2" x 3/4" magnets for $295.00

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

I tried to match some magnets on forcefield with plans I have seen, but they seem to be out of alot of things. I am estimating (with no calculation) that it might max out at 500W with a 7' diameter turbine. So that would be the overall goal after testing the most efficient vawt design. Could anybody tell me if I am making a big mistake in the wire or magnets?

Thanks in advance,

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:44:25 PM by SDSUMetalHead »

Airstream

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 05:58:40 AM »
Let me introduce you to a very polite thing that simplifies postings " http://tinyurl.com/ " and we will note here your preview button works so use it : )

A quick search of 14awg mag wire currently on eBay shows those wire prices are high.

And I have no clue why our sponsers' inventory is dwindling...

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 05:58:40 AM by Airstream »

SDSUMetalHead

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:33:25 AM »
I have always been skeptical about ebay. I haven't found anything using both search engines about buying magnet wire on ebay or magnets for that matter. Isn't it possible the cheaper magnet wire is simply copper wire or a lower quality wire? I might have to go that route though. I like the tinyurl suggestion. I definately wish I would have known about that five years ago.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:33:25 AM by SDSUMetalHead »

Airstream

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:02:12 PM »
Some vendors live to gouge day after day after day, the web numbs many honest folks "buyer beware" instincts.

You see the specifications well listed on eBay: 200© insulation, heavy coat, OEM spools, branded name like "Essex" with full web presence for engineering details...

If you wanted to order everything from one place, perhaps to reduce shipping plus get a full measure of technical help then a site like our WonderMagnet is an ideal place to spend dollars!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:02:12 PM by Airstream »

SDSUMetalHead

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 06:31:48 AM »
I would love to order from WonderMagnet, but they have a dwindling supply that doesn't have the magnet wire. If you could recommend a good magnet size that they do have that I could match with an X sized prop for 500Watts +- 100 Watts I would definately go that route since I agree with supporting this community.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 06:31:48 AM by SDSUMetalHead »