Author Topic: Still refining VAWT blade design  (Read 8142 times)

(unknown)

Still refining VAWT blade design
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:47:39 AM »
Finalized VAWT blade design.  I am using fabrication techniques developed during last blade attempt so previous efforts were not a complete waste of time.  Previous road tests proofed the fabrication technique is capable of withstanding high winds without blowing apart. The blades are constructed of PVC and aluminum using pneumatic staples to secure the aluminum flashing within the pattern canals cut in the PVC. If test results show that more torque is required the blades can easily be expanded to provide more torque.  

The new blade design in combination with the 3 to 1 ratio drive plate should produce better results.  

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:47:39 AM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Still refining VAWT blade design
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »
KilroyOdin your not going to like what i have to say,but here goes.

i do like your alt with its 3:1 ratio and its belt tentioners, i might have used bicycle sprockets and a chain,but i still like it.

My only experience with VAWTs was my version of EDs(windstuff) cycloturbine , which spun like a bat outta hell with a strong winter wind , not sure why he didn't go further with that design? maybe it got a little scary with a heavy wind ,not sure.

it only had/has two blades ,i first made them out of wood , later i made them out of foam ,point is sometimes less is more.its just that i cant see using six blades instead three?it is looking like one of those circulating resturaunt vents sure they spin , but will they ever generate usefull power? I've been thinking about a design where the backside collapses when its not capturing the wind , to cut down on drag. That is a main advantage of the cycloturbine , the backside isnt a drag on the system because it turns into the wind as it rotates. in fact IIRC its the one comming FROM the back that produces the lift. google windstuffed if ya get a chance good reading.

bill

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:15:37 PM by willib »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:51:07 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:51:07 PM by willib »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:13:21 AM »
Hi, thank you for your input.  My PMA is has small diameter and requires a lot of RPM's to reach a changing voltage.  Spinning the drive plate by hand under different loads illustrates the torque needed to produce  higher outputs.   I am hoping the new design will provide both and be installed before the snow arrives. Thanks again and best regards.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:13:21 AM by KilroyOdin »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:21:01 AM »
PS, a bike chain would rust and would require constant maintenance.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:21:01 AM by KilroyOdin »

KilroyOdin

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 04:55:52 AM »
Hi, I checked your web cam. Super and a great achievement.  My funding is considerably less.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:55:52 AM by KilroyOdin »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 08:06:29 AM »
That page !

It's not mine.

i should remove it

If you knew me you would know that i mostly make stuff from what i find , or can make.

I was trying to point you in a direction of something that may work better.

anyway this was my version of Ed's cycloturbine, a few years ago.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2965/cycloturbine.JPG

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2965/top_view.JPG

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:06:29 AM by willib »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »
I am long on posting, and short on building, but...

I can't have a HAWT where I'm at, and just for fun, I fully intend to build a 3 drum Savonius. 2:1 timing belt and pulleys from a salvage yard car. A central pipe will form the backbone, and a spinning outer pipe will be supported by a tapered auto wheel bearing on the bottom (#BR5) and a common pillow block on top, such as  are found at a farming equipment supply.

Drum halves attached to wood discs, which are attached to the outer spinning pipe.

3 drums will fit on a 10' section of pipe, and bell connectors will allow a slightly fatter pipe section to be threaded onto the bottom and top.

The upper section of pipe will be just tall enough to allow 3 guy wires at about a 45-degree angle.

My goal is a VAWT demonstrator capable of charging D and AA batteries for music and lights at night during a power outage. I have purchased AA and D flashlights and lanterns with LED's, and adjustable brightness levels ("high" for good light, "low" for long battery life).

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:35:11 AM by spinningmagnets »