Author Topic: South Six Twelve  (Read 1717 times)

WXYZCIENCE

South Six Twelve
« on: May 13, 2006, 01:04:58 AM »
I read a couple of articles on solar heating, looked around the yard and came up with enough material to build this solar window box.

I started with some 2x6 lumber, metal roofing, old shower aluminum trim, paint and of course windows.

The aluminum baffle pieces direct the hot air through the unit. They are attached to the front metal roofing.

I painted the front with a exterior black enamel paint. Cody has to check it out.

Here you can see the center aluminum piece, dividing the box into two sections. The back is now being attached, it is also made of old metal roofing.

Scott punches a rectangular hole through the south facing ashphalt roof.

Beautiful work, fits like a glove.

The solar box is set in place and I install some stainless steel mounting brackets that will hold the unit securely. Inside the house a small fan from an old computer forces the air through the window box.

The blue pipe sends the air into the living room and kitchen on the main floor. After completion my wife found a very good use for the solar heater. She removes the pipe, hangs up the laundry inside of her new, full size, walk-in dryer. Over all this unit has been the best and least expensive way of getting energy into our home. We get 20 degrees celsius in sunlight when the outside temperature is 0 degrees. With the fan running, I have measured temperatures of 50 degrees celsius when the outside temperature is only 18 degrees. Two of the double pain windows cracked on the inside shortly after we installed the unit. The windows were very old 1960's, a little water vapor was inside two of them. The third sealed unit is still intact. This has not had any effect on the heat output. Joe.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 01:04:58 AM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: South Six Twelve
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:22:06 PM »
Did you provide for expansion of the glass when it heats up? A lot of home made collectors end up with cracked glass due to no room for expansion.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 08:22:06 PM by jimjjnn »

WXYZCIENCE

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 09:37:33 PM »
Jim, I used a rubber window caulking and I gave the windows 1/2" extra space. The first window cracked within a couple of days. I guess it was real hot in the box. Didn't have the thermal switch installed yet. I figure expansion inside of the sealed units. The second one cracked on a smoking hot day. Yet when I put my hand on the outside just barely warm. There was no moisture inside the one that has not cracked. It has been up since August last year. There is also a 3/4" layer of insulation under the box and heavy poly stapled on over the insulation. We had lots of rain , a frog strangler for a couple of days and didn't get any rain in the box or the house. Joe
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 09:37:33 PM by WXYZCIENCE »

cjdock

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 08:01:04 AM »
Very nice!,

I'm interested in building one just like that for my house.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 08:01:04 AM by cjdock »

wdyasq

Nice unit
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 08:27:16 AM »
The reports I saw said there was little benefit in using "inside air" and one should use the outside air.  

BUT, any gain is a positive. I like seeing the "low tech" and less expensive approach to building things.

Ron

« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 08:27:16 AM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"