Author Topic: Storing excess power using an adsorption heat pump  (Read 1888 times)

bl23

Storing excess power using an adsorption heat pump
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:59:11 AM »
I was thinking.  If you have a wind turbine that is producing more electricity then you can use.  Some shunt this power to a water tank to save the heat.  I have heard it suggested that you instead run a geo heat pump and save that heat to a tank because you would have a heat Gain.

My question:

Is a geo absorption ammonia heat pump possible?  If so, might you heat the  refrigerant in the heat pump directly,to get a heat gain for heat storage?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:59:11 AM by (unknown) »

veewee77

Re: Storing excess power using an adsorption heat
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »
while it is possible, remember to take into account that adsorption requires a lot of energy and unless your adsorption system is fully "intermittent" meaning that it is not continuous as are camper refrigerators, then yes, you could store the excess energy. But the only way to economically extract the stored energy would be in refrigeration. A unit sized large enough to do any noticeable cooling for, say, a room in your house, would require a very LARGE source.

look at:http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com/solarice.pdf

And you'll see what it takes to actually get a usable amount of "cold" from solar.

Here is another option.

Disclaimer:

This is intended for reference ONLY and is not to be construed as an advertisement for this company.

http://www.partsonsale.com/sundanzer.html

Using a device of this type to "store" excess might be good, but if it is just "excess" I would want to trust my milk and cookies to it. . . I used this page because it has a comparison chart for usage. . .

Doug

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:15:24 PM by veewee77 »

getterdone

• living off grid
Re: Storing excess power using an adsorption heat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
veewee77 ,the absorber is a doable diy project. thanks for the input.

got my wheels turning, [in my head] ha, like i need more to think about.            any way good post thanks i put it on my favorites.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:20:20 PM by getterdone »