Author Topic: Harnessing a spring  (Read 9341 times)

Jamie

Harnessing a spring
« on: April 07, 2005, 04:08:42 PM »
Can anyone direct me to a site or book on how to correctly harness a spring (the kind that emits water from the ground)?  I have searched the web and just keep getting town names, construction companies and engine or door springs.  I have several reliable springs on my property that I have been watching for several years and would now like to make a spring house to collect the water.  I would also like to use the excess water or overflow from the spring house and divert to my small pond I have upstream from the spring.  I would need to raise the water about 3 feet and move it about 30 feet to do this.  I have been told to be careful with springs or you could dry them up or move the water flow to another area with an excessive amount of construction near or to them.  One idea I had was to gently dig out the spring about 16" to remove any leaves and silt.  Then cut the ends off of a 50 gallon barrel and set in the spring and back fill the exterior of the barrel wall with clay and the inside with fist sized rocks back to the previous ground level.  Then I could place a pipe on the side of the barrel to move the water to wherever I needed it.  Some of the questions I have would be how to keep the water inside the barrel, or the majority of it anyway and keep it from seeping around the bottom.  If I could get some advice on how to accomplish this, I would be greatly appreciative.  Thanks in advance for any help.  

Jamie
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 04:08:42 PM by (unknown) »

picmacmillan

Re: Harnessing a spring
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 10:33:45 AM »
hi jamie...our spring is 3 feet of a 45 gallon drum, we have some holes drilled about 1" down from the top, so the water doesnt pour over the top...there is enough holes so the water won't rise past 1" from the top...this is so, the lid doesnt touch the water....we have some nice gravel at the bottom and the water is crystal clear and cold.....if i had to do it again, i would see if i could get a stainless drum, so it doesnt get rusty with age, also, they have a float you can buy ...the one i was looking at, is for horse troughs or the like...you could use that to regulate the water level, just an idea ...pickster
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 10:33:45 AM by picmacmillan »

pyrocasto

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 10:50:22 AM »
Yes you do have to be careful with springs, as I've had one rerout one me. Though, my reroute was because of pests, not the carazy 2.5 psi my small dam makes. But, it depends on your location. If you're on the side of a hill, you may be alright. You could put the barrel in, and watch it fill up. If the water stops, pull it out so it wont reroute some where else. Maybe theres a better ways someone can tell me about.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 10:50:22 AM by pyrocasto »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 06:10:23 PM »
A spring is basically just a weak/hollow area that lets the water rise to the surface by the pressure of the water under ground. Side of a hill spring is different of course many times and it's often just a leak as the water tries to run from the top downhill through the hill and flows out the weakest area.

Digging around with a shovel should not normally hurt the average spring. Running large equipment could pack it closed tight or heavy vibration could collaps/pack the ground the spring runs though. In such a case packing an area is like shutting off a valve of course and the water stops. It could just not have enough pressure to continue beyond that point and stay under ground, or it could be like a fractured pipe and look for a new weakest spot to burst and run out. That could be anywhere! The path of least resistance, same as electric pretty much.

I have seen alot done with springs that had no effect like just digging a bit with a shovel and setting a tank to catch the water, then pump elsewhere. I know a house where they dug a large cistern by hand just aways from the spring then a small shallow ditch to the puddle/stream of the spring, filled that with gravel and let it flow to the cistern. Pumped to the house like any other water, but used a seperate deep well for drinking and cooking water. Spring water for about everything else, baths, clothes, etc.. and since this was open surface water they did dimp a little clorox into the cistern to keep it clean.

I also saw people with a beuatiful spring drill a deep well on the other side of the house about 300' away from the spring and it kiiled the spring! Once that water goes under ground you never know where it came from or where it actually flows. They drilled right through the path of the spring and dumped it into the well, not what they wanted to do!

Each spring is is different really, and the only real thing to do is be carefull with it and watch it as you work. If you see it slowing, STOP! If it is still flowing it may wash the opening back open and return to full flow.

Try to get a good idea where it is flowing from if you can, but that is not easy. Kinda like a pipe in a giant mound of dirt. Toss a flexable tubbing in the air and 5 tons of dirt, just because the fawcet is on the north side does not give you any idea where the tubbing is laying in that mound! Same with the spring, many actaully run up hill! I have seen a few people think the spring was from up hill and dig right into it in the downhill side. Water does not flow down hill when under a presure, it flows anywhere of least resistance. So if the ground is very hard near the surface down hill, but there are under ground fractures running up to softer ground and enough water presure at the source that water runs up hill under ground same as if in a pipe. Then once it breaks to the surface of course it will run downhill, but inside that hill it could run anywhere.

"One idea I had was to gently dig out the spring about 16" to remove any leaves and silt.  Then cut the ends off of a 50 gallon barrel and set in the spring and back fill the exterior of the barrel wall with clay and the inside with fist sized rocks back to the previous ground level.  Then I could place a pipe on the side of the barrel to move the water to wherever I needed it.  Some of the questions I have would be how to keep the water inside the barrel, or the majority of it anyway and keep it from seeping around the bottom."

Gently is good, but why do you want to cut out the bottom of the barrel, leave it in and that's how you stop the water for runing out. Use a teflon lined barrel like for corn oils, it should never rust out from the inside. You can put rocks in the barrel,  I might leave it empty myself just depends, be careful back filling with clay. I would just dig the hole the size of the barrel and toss dirt in around it loosely, let it settle in on it's own.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 06:10:23 PM by nothing to lose »

pyrocasto

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 08:22:06 PM »
I hope one day I find a spring that is flowing at 60gpm, and at 30psi. :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 08:22:06 PM by pyrocasto »

Jamie

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 11:28:25 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, they have really been helpful.  Sometimes I can't see the forest for looking at the trees.  Let me add some more details since I had a chance to "gently" dig in it a little last night and I can add a picture today.  This spring begins in a ditch that feeds a small branch.  This ditch is about 25' long and begins very suddenly into the side of a bank.    

The sides of the ditch where the springs emerge are shown by the two red arrows and are about 30" high.  At first, it appears as if the water is coming out of the side of the hill from under the tree by the left arrow.  As I was digging, water was actually coming up from under the bed of the stream.  I was going to cut the bottom out of the barrel so this water will fill up the barrel, I was unclear on that point.  I am getting some seepage out of the bank itself, but more at the area where the bank wall and stream bottom actually meet.   After digging, the water was coming out well enough to clear the mud up in about a minute or so.  I did finally find some links that may be helpful to others so here they are:

http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/wqwm/ag473-15.html

http://peacecorps.mtu.edu/Springbox/design.htm

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/well/resources/technical-briefs/34-protecting-springs.pdf

Again thanks for all the comments so far and those yet to come.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 11:28:25 AM by Jamie »

Bryan1

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 02:47:58 AM »
Hi Jamie,

I have a natural spring at the back of my place that runs about 5 months a year. Hopefully it will be running in the near future and I'll be building a small holding dam about 10 metres downhill from it and the overflow will be piped further downhill into a 2,000 gal tank. Then when the tank is full I'll be using a hydraulic water ram to pump the water to another tank on top of the hill and the wastage off the pump will just flow into the dam below it. My thread on this forum shows a photo of the spring and hill.

( http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/12/17/23323/946 )

Once I get it built I'll put a few photo's of it up here.

Hope my idea is applicable to your application

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 02:47:58 AM by Bryan1 »

MtnTopRebel

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 09:30:37 PM »
I will try and get my son to respond, he is new to the site as well, he has springs on his place and has been capturing them for years, he has 3 ponds several other springs, and seasonal hydro...

One other fellar here on the mtn, rented a back hoe and trenched the hill side on the upper end of his property in kind of a "Y" with the to upper arms sloping down towards a catch point in the middle kinda like a drain field.  all water gathering on the hill would be caught in the trench and fed to the center point. there he had a cement cistern, and a pipe running down the hill to his home, hydro, and irrigation area.  He would stop and pick up rocks on the road as he would drive home from town, and would put them in the trenches until he had a solid rock base in the trench.  the would then cover the top with soil.  I was amazed at how much water he collected.  He did a little each year till the project was done and only had the back hoe investment in it other that cistern and pipe.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 09:30:37 PM by MtnTopRebel »