Author Topic: 48v upgrade phase one complete  (Read 1198 times)

Hilltopgrange

48v upgrade phase one complete
« on: March 09, 2007, 03:57:13 PM »
Hi Guys Greetings from Northern Ireland. I am a newbie to the board but I hope I can contribute in some small way to your discussions. I have been playing with the wind for a few years now it's the usual story of starting of with car alternators and P.M. motors to finally building the 8ft 24v Hugh Piggott machine. I also purchased one of the Future energy generators and blade sets and fitted them to a modified version of Hughes yaw and furling design so with regard to your poll I have 2 flying and im using the power. Anyway! I have recently embarked on an upgrade of my complete setup by going to a 48v system. My first purchase was a 2.5 ton Cat electric fork truck with a very good 72v battery that I reconfigured to 48v. The fork truck was an absolute bargain at only £250 or about $500 and it has proved to be a fantastic source of Parts with giant size diodes and fuses, cables etc. I have also upgraded my inverter to a 48v 3.75 kw ups I know its not ideal and that they can be bit power hungry but in my defence it was very cheap and it works very well lol the final part of phase one of the upgrade was completed to-day as I fitted the new 48v stator to the turbine, it's the standard 48v as per Hughes plans i.e. 10 coils 290 turns of #21 wire. The old 24v turbine suffered badly from stalling with the 4ft wooden blades. I tried all the usual remedies opened the gap and added resistance etc and it helped but never cured it, finally I fitted a set of 4ft GRP blades (3) from ebay and that sorted it, however it proved to be only temporary  as it shed a blade about a month later. So as a result I decided to carve a new set for the upgrade but I wanted to try a larger rotor this time so I went with the Other power 10ft design, I liked the simplicity of the design and carved it using a stacked dado head cutter on a radial arm saw, with a simple jig to control the angles, it worked a treat the 3 blades where ready for sanding and oil in just under an hour. The new blades where also fitted this morning and have already proved their worth as we got 30 mph winds this afternoon. The tail started to furl at 23mph and was fully furled at 33mph with a constant  23 amps at about 50v by my reckoning that's 1150 w or there about. So phase one is complete and a total success so far but time will tell, it has at least put a smile on my face. Phase 2 is ready to start and that's where I hope you guys can help? I have a box of 56 2x1x1/2 n40 magnets and about 15 lbs of #21 wire I have a couple of acres of space and loads of potential wind as I am located in the Mourne Mountains my closest neighbours all have 4 legs 2 horns and  udders full of milk! They don't mind what goes up, any ideas would be very welcome My original plan was to build another 2 machines the same as the first, as I have the moulds etc or should I put all my eggs in the one basket and go big? My latest thoughts have been to build one as before with 24 mags and 10 coils and one slightly bigger with 16 mags per rotor 32 in total and with 15 coils in a 3 phase set up, would this be viable? Should I wind the same number of turns as before ie 290 of #21 for 48v and then there is the blades size to consider? Any thoughts or ideas would be very welcome. By the way I love the site I have studied the projects pages for months but only recently found the boards I will try and post a pic if I can figure out how to lol Im better with a grinder or welder than I am with a keyboard! Best regards to all Russell

Russel; You really should include some whitespace in your posting to break it up some. Hit the spacebar and the enter key occasionally. One big long string of characters with no breaks is very hard to follow. Despite that it is an interesting read.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 03:57:13 PM by (unknown) »
How many windmills do I have to build to become a windmillologist?

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 48v upgrade phase one complete
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:32:35 AM »
From your description of where you live and your problems of stall, I think you are in a high wind area and are wanting kW more than low speed performance.

It is a pity you didn't try your 24v stator on 48V I feel fairly sure it would have done exactly what you wanted with the original 8ft prop.

Taking a stator intended for an 8ft prop with good low wind performance and forcing it to make high wind power by adding larger blades is likely to be a rather short time fix.

You are lucky to get it to furl at all and you are pushing that stator very hard at over 1100W if it is sustained for a long time. I would be very tempted to make it furl below 1kW.

Doing this trick in a low wind area and furling early would have made sense to try to capture more in low winds.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 10:32:35 AM by Flux »

Hilltopgrange

Re: 48v upgrade phase one complete
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 03:38:02 PM »
Sorry about the lack of breaks! I realised myself as soon as I read it lol

Thanks for the advice Flux, I thought I had tried everything to cure the stalling but I honestly never thought to try the 24v stator at 48v! I will try it and let you know how it performs.

The 10ft blades are working very well so far but I will keep an eye on it and see how it fairs. I will also take your advise and lower the furl to below 1kw, I seen one of your earlier posts about how to do this.

Our average wind is 15-20 mph, and we never get extremes in weather, the highest gust I have ever recorded is 59mph. The climate here is very predictable it's never too hot or too cold.... it's just horrible all year!

Russell

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 03:38:02 PM by Hilltopgrange »
How many windmills do I have to build to become a windmillologist?