Author Topic: Good induction motor for generator conversion?  (Read 13347 times)

trimard

Good induction motor for generator conversion?
« on: March 11, 2007, 06:46:30 PM »
Hi,

I am new to all of this, but i have been reading a lot on the forum. I want to convert following induction motor in to a generator, but i want to be sure i have made the right choice of motor.

It has 24 stator slots

4 wires coming out.

How can i determine if this is a 1 of 3 phase motor?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks, and i hope i can start my first conversion.

Trimard

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 06:46:30 PM by (unknown) »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Good induction motor for generator conversion?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »
Hi Trimard,

You should poke around in (Zubbly) [is that right?] 's diary. He works with alot of conversion gennys.

JW

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:34:04 PM by JW »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:43:04 PM by JW »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:40:46 PM »
Just click on this:

http://zubbly.com

Then click on stories lots of good reading for motor conversion folks by the master

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 03:40:46 PM by TomW »

Lolito

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 04:04:51 PM »
I'm relatively new to this stuff too, I'm becoming all to familiar with being refered to zubbly's diarys, so I thought you might just like to get an answer as would I to some of my questions. I dont know whether it is a single or three phase motor, but I imagine it would make a great conversion  due to its low rated rpm's. a more important question you need to answer is how many poles this motor has. a single phase motor can still make a good conversion, you simply have to spinn it in the right direction, however if I had to guesse I would say that this is a 3 phase motor because of the amount of leads comming from the coils. sorry I can't help with the pole count.

Cheers

lolo
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 04:04:51 PM by Lolito »

vawtman

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »
Hmmm 230v .4a must be tiny and also single ph because of this 1.5 uf a 3ph motor wouldnt use caps.ive seen motors like this before but cant think where.Do you know where?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 05:44:56 PM by vawtman »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »
It's a 2 speed ventilator motor for an airconditioner/furnace unit.  At least according to this German pdf document.

http://www.daikin.de/wDeutsch/img/Klimaanlagen_Unterlagenarchiv_2006/2_sky_air_split/Wartungshandbue
cher/Wartungshandbuch_SkyAir_B_R407C.pdf

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:29:14 PM by RP »

alancorey

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 08:10:13 AM »
Being such a low RPM motor it might be a good candidate for running as an induction generator just by hooking some motor run caps across the leads.  That's really only an option if you've got some hydro resource though, not practical for wind.

Alan

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 08:10:13 AM by alancorey »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 09:31:56 AM »
That tiny thing is single phase. I strongly suspect that it will not self excite as an induction generator, single phase is tricky and large pole numbers are useless as induction generators.

I personally doubt that it is even worth adding magnets to make a pma, the output will be tiny. Possibly just worth trying to gain experience for a first attempt, but I see many traps.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:31:56 AM by Flux »

trimard

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »
Hi,

thanks all for the tips.

Maybe I should just sketch a little bit what I am trying to do. I am not looking for a big mill. I want to start with a smaller type, just enough to load 12 V batteries for use in my remote shed. Radio etc.. perhaps a lamp or so...

On the other while gathering all the info and material I might as well have a look to build a bigger one...

The motor is not thàt small. About 25cm (10 inches) in diameter. But it is rather flat, around 10 cm (4 inches)

Maybe I should give following washing machine motor a try? The motor is missing the label, so I have to find out everything about it by looking at it... If anybody can be of any assistant it would be highly appreciated.

What I do know about it is:

• that it is coming from an EUDORA or EUMENIA Babynova washing machine (EU-350 01).
  •  I SUSPECT this is a 3 phase motor ?
  • It has 36 stator slots, STRANGELY there are 2 slots empty. Somebody any clue why?
  • There are two capacitors connected. are they start capacitors?
  • it looks like this: (the first picture is from an ebay shop. If only I could read the yellow label on it...)

Any suggestions how to identify this motor? Would it make a better generator for my purpose?

Thanks!

Trimard

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:29:06 AM by trimard »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »
If you just want to produce something, then either of those motors will work but they are both pole change motors and only half the winding is active . You will need to decide on the 2 pole numbers and choose the one you want to use. It is unlikely that you will be able to get anything useful from the other winding.

They may be wound as convergent pole, be short pitched or other odd things, I can't see well enough from the pictures. For a beginner project you would do better with a simple single winding where you can identify the number of poles easily.

The first one is probably 8/16 pole from the speed with high slip on the 8 pole.

The second one you will only sort out if you are familiar with windings. It may have one coil per pole but generally those pole change things use lower coil numbers to simplify the winding.

Maybe Zubbly can see from the picture.

Flux

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 01:12:04 PM by Flux »

alancorey

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 01:35:12 PM »
Maybe that's why none of my induction generator attempts have worked.  They've all been small motors under 1/4 hp.

Alan

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 01:35:12 PM by alancorey »

trimard

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 02:21:41 PM »
thanks Flux for the clear answer. I will read some more on these things and keep my eyes open for another motor for my conversion. Meanwhile i might have a look at the winding of the second motor...

Thanks,

TRimard

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 02:21:41 PM by trimard »

vawtman

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »
If you didnt live so far away i have nice little treadmill motor(800w)that i can get 6v spinning by hand with little or no cogging.Its just crying for little hawt blades.

I have no use for charging batteries or little hawt blades.

Would be no motor work just bolt the blades to the flywheel and WALA.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 02:51:37 PM by vawtman »

zubbly

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »
hi Trimard,

your motor is a single phase, capacitor run unit. it is 6 pole with a very high slip rating to be used in air movement. thats the reason for the very low speeds.

you coil spans are 1-3 and 1-5 with the 1-5 having overlapped coils.  in a 24 slot stator, that works out to 6 pole.

you could build a 6 pole rotor (with very narrow magnets to fit between the coil leg spacing of the 1-3 coil span. you would also have to skew.

it won't be a power house by any means, but it would make a good learning model.

hope this helps,

zubbly

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 05:25:46 PM by zubbly »

trimard

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 10:48:22 AM »
Thanks Zubbly,

Things are becoming clear to me. It seems that one should have the info you gave me and the motor itself in front of him to come to some lightgiving answers. Thanks.

Maybe I will give the motor a try. You say "no power house". Can you make an estimation or is that pure guessing?

Any idea about the second motor in my posting? Is that one worth a try?

Thanks anyway,

Trimard

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:48:22 AM by trimard »