Author Topic: Ceiling fan wind generator  (Read 46558 times)

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
STOP SHOUTING...
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 02:03:14 PM »
16KW;

See that "CAPS LOCK" key there on your keyboard? Please press and release it before posting again. No need to SHOUT!

Tom

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:03:14 PM by TomW »

elt

Re: STOP SHOUTING...
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »
I belong to a group (Ford/Jacobsen Tractors) where this note regarding capitalization is sent to all new members... perhaps we can have a similar policy?

<<quote>>

Members

So there is no misunderstanding, I have no problem with members using all

CAPS when posting a message.

I know many think that this is a form of hollering, shouting, or so on. but

no where can I find info on the net that supports this. all I can find is

that Shout, hollering is a VERBAL action, not a writing action.

So in short, there are several reasons why a person posts messages in all caps.

1. : Could be a visual problem, that cannot be corrected, even using larger print
  2. : may be a physical problem. Like Arthritis, lost of fingers, or limb.
  3. : Could be a person is not that great with punctuation.
  4. : Out in the real world, CAPS are used a lot in the corporate world, and

maybe the person is use to typing that way.

What ever the reason, if the CAPS bother you, just delete the message.

DO NOT post a message telling someone not to use caps. That is more

offensive then the caps are. It is also consider abuse to another member

if you post a public message telling them not to use them

And we all know how I feel about member abuse. It is not tolerated.

So if someone writes in all CAPS, either ignore it, or do the best you

can reading it.

The reason behind this message because I see many times in other groups,

that this creates a problem, and hard feelings. Just let it go.

I have not got involved in the past on this, but from here on now, if a

member does post a message about not using CAPS to someone, I will remove

that member from the group for being abusive

If you belong to more then one of my groups, and have your email set

for individual emails, you will receive a few of this message.

Joe (Owner)

<<end quote>>

I've seen studies which give the legibility of text written in all caps, mixed caps and lower case and all lower case and, no surprise, mixed upper and lower case letters is more legible by most people but difference didn't seem enough to get upset about. I've used teletypes and terminals that didn't have lower case and even if your "glass tty" was fancy enough to have "bright" or "dim" attributes if it wasn't a VT100 you probably didn't have a terminfo entry for it... That's an age gone past. I'm amused to see people texting on their phones in all caps, lowercasing is much slower, and likewise abbreviating everything sort of like radio operators do (did) sending Morse code... I think it's ridiculous and can't wait for the day when phones becomes sophisticated enough to let people TALK with each other again.

I guess though that whether you're TEXTING IN ALL CAPS or talking or video phoning at least you're attempting communication with another human being, something that I would miss if everyone gets wrapped up in video games, movies on demand, etc... so I figure as long as there are humans out there willing to write, why not try to be humane when writing back?

My two cents (USD).

- Ed.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:00:34 PM by elt »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Further diversion from the topic...
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 04:09:09 AM »
I totally disagree with Joe, coddling folks with bad manners just makes more people with bad manners. But we all get to have our opinions, of course

Its bad manners to post all caps. Period End quote.

It should be sufficient to say it is frowned on here on this forum. So there you go. Plus "policing" this forum is one of my responsibilities. Whether I like it or not. Sometimes that involves posting off topic comments to users.

I will leave it at that to not further divert this thread discussing ALL CAPS with you.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:09:09 AM by TomW »

elt

Re: Further diversion from the topic...
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »
Tom, I disagree with many of the categorical decisions you make "policing" this board but guess what? I respect them. I know from experience that there are a lot more whiners than people who will step up to the bar and do the work. My feeling is that folks that actually do the work deserve a bit a latitude (lack of whining) about what they do and how they do it. Keep at it. Thank you. If capitalization is that important to you then ... fine ... but calling it "policing" this forum, I would guess, overstates the importance of capitalization (or lack thereof) to most members. I realize its not a democracy but I hope this remains a place where gently stated opinions and suggestions are not only welcome but  also considered.

Thanks again,

- Ed.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:54:11 AM by elt »

charlie_ruizpr

Re: Ceiling fan wind generator
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »
I have a ceiling fan motor with 16 coils and 16 magnets and I'm planning to rewind it.  Is it possible to make it a 4 phase generator?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:21:39 AM by charlie_ruizpr »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 12:02:02 AM »
Technically?  Not really.
It would be a single phase or 2 phase, depending on the coil layout.

Of your 4 phases, either 2 or 4 phases would be in phase with each other, so it would be a single or 2 phase.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

charlie_ruizpr

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 12:28:13 AM »
Has anyone rewound one?

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
yea, here's one recently
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,146462.0.html
as well member tecker has done a lot of work on those fan motors

rain1224

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
I'm looking forward to your success news!

rustkolector

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »
If you still want to try using a ceiling fan motor take a look at the Emerson K55 ceiling fan motor. It is an 18 pole 200 RPM motor that can produce about 4A output when connected properly. This is well built motor, and is built like a standard induction motor with a center rotor (unlike most ceiling fan motors), and has two good sized ball bearings on a large diameter shaft. It has two windings connected in series in each of the two phases. These windings can be parallel connected for 2A out of each phase. You can rectify the two phases for a total of 4A output. This is the max rating of the coils, but this probably should be derated some for cooling. The voltage will be a bit high depending on RPM. The output (no load) varies from 16.4v at 100 RPM to 96.4v at 600RPM. You can reuse the motor assembly, but will have to make a new rotor and shaft assembly. I used an iron rotor and drill rod steel shaft with 18 skewed 1/4" x 1/4" x 1" neodymium magnets. Cogging is very minimal at about a 14 degree skew angle. The completed assembly is very compact.

That said, I did not use my project alternator for battery charging, but I see no reason why it would not do a good job within its rated capacity. The K55 motor is found in the higher end Emerson and Cassablanca fans. See a cutaway of the motor here:

http://www.emersonfans.com/Pages/Choose-Motor.aspx

Jeff