Author Topic: smaller alt  (Read 792 times)

warlockwarrior82

smaller alt
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:36:34 PM »
it is said that altinators for cars needs to much rpm's but i was wonding about a small tractor or a ridding lawn more are they a slower rpm..

and the wireing for an altinator just what would be the best way to hook them up to a battery.. cause i see 3 wires on a car alt. i was told by a freind that the 2 hot could be tied in together to the (+) on the battery wile the ground can just go right into the dirt. is this true..

sorry if this sound dumb but i just couldn't find any spasiffices.

thank you.. anyone that respones.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:36:34 PM by (unknown) »

shagy

Re: smaller alt
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 09:41:21 PM »
an allternater of a tractor would most likely be of a lower amp, and as the engine may run at a lower rpm the gearing will increase the speed of the allternater.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 09:41:21 PM by shagy »

RP

• A dog with novelty teeth. What could go wrong?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 10:44:36 PM »
And riding lawnmowers have the laternator built right into the flywheel of the engine
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:44:36 PM by RP »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:48:38 PM »
Diesel cars/trucks run about 2,000 RPM or so, and the pulley set on these are usually about 3:1 in order to get about 6,000 RPM from the alternator. A gasoline car will run up to an average of about 3,000 RPM, so the gasoline pulley set usually has a ratio of about 2:1 to get the 6,000 RPM. I have read most vehicle alts are built to survive 10,000 RPM.

A cars starter battery has many very thin plates sitting in the electrolyte in order to provide a lot of plate surface area in a small package. After drawing a lot of amps for 3 seconds to start an engine, the battery is hardly drained at all, and the alternator only needs to run for a few minutes to charge the battery back up.

While the car is running, it is drawing most of the current it needs to run from the alt, so the alt is sized according to the max running load that is expected.

If you drive at night with the headlights on, and the A/C on, the radio, etc. you will need a fat alt that puts out a lot of Amps. A riding lawnmower will have the cheapest, smallest alt they can find. It is common for modern car alts to put out about 100 Amps, my truck alt puts out 130 Amps. -Ron

http://www.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/energy/Alternator/alternator.htm

"If you don't have anything nice to say about anyone...come sit next to me!" -Alice Roosevelt

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 07:48:38 PM by spinningmagnets »