Author Topic: Magnet questions - terms and their meanings  (Read 789 times)

Roly SA

Magnet questions - terms and their meanings
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:02:08 PM »
Hi All

Can someone please shed some light on the following phrases:

Remanence

Coercivity Force

Intrinsic Coercive Force

Max. Energy Product

I found these on a suppliers site when i was looking at types of magnets. Japanese sight, so not sure if the words are spelt correctly.

http://www.jinmagnets.com/en/product/product01.asp?gclid=CI7W5uPNxpACFQlIMAodwkBwOQ

Also i read in the boards that neodynium magnets are best for flux, however the most expensive. What other types would you recommend, and why?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 07:02:08 PM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: Magnet questions - terms and their meanings
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 03:28:12 PM »
the magnet faq section located down a bit on the left of this page mite help you out a bit http://www.forcefieldmagnets.com/catalog/  

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 03:28:12 PM by kurt »

ADMIN

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:27:12 PM »
Hi Roly -- I think they are just using variations of the normal terms that are not so common in the US.

Coercivity is what we usually talk about with magnets -- how difficult it is to make the material non-magnetic again, or change the polarity. Remanence is the opposite side of the magnet's BH curve -- how much magnetism is left when you remove the external field. Coercivity is shown as Hc.

The Maximum Energy Product (BHmax) is measured in MgOe (megagauss oersted, it's basically coercivity x remanence. It's the best measure of magnet quality. Magnet grades start with a letter (N for Neodymium, C for ferrite, etc.). The number after it is BHmax. An N48 grade magnet will be very expensive compared to an N35 or N40, but will only give a slight percentage increase in power in an alternator.

Neodymium (NdFeB) magnets are about the best choice for alternators....Samarium Cobalt is much more expensive and not quite as powerful, but is more resistant to heat. Not really an issue with wind turbine alternators (if your magnets are heating up, you have some BIG problems going on in your alternator!). No other formulations are as powerful as NdFeB, and none are even worth considering for an air gap alternator.

Cheers -- ADMIN

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:27:12 PM by ADMIN »

Roly SA

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 02:45:30 AM »
Thanks guys, it makes a lot more sense now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:45:30 AM by Roly SA »