Author Topic: next newest newbie  (Read 7525 times)

mdntdncr

next newest newbie
« on: June 22, 2009, 01:14:48 AM »
Hello, folks . . .

I did do some searches and didn't find an answer to my most immediate question,

so if I'm wrong, please feel free to point me to the right thread.

I'm interested in tinkering, doing some experiments with end results in providing

electrical power to my house and grid.  However, due to time and money, I'll have to

start small(this will also help to keep within my learning curve).

So, on to the question (or observation).  One of the first steps, it seems, that

most people take is to build a small wind turbine.  Typically, it's suggested that

you get a 12v motor out of a treadmill.  But I quite simply can't find one or

purchase one.  Everything I find is 120vdc.  To be honest, I'd rather work with that

since I'd like my end result to be a higher voltage for easier copper usage.

So it seems I'm left with the option of starting my experiments with a 120vdc

treadmill motor, but then how do I find an inverter or converter to change it to AC?

The only thing I've been able to find is around 6 grand.  Additionally, how do you something to sync up to the grid?  I've found several inverters which will convert 12/24v and auto sync to the grid.  Does anyone know of a reasonable solution to

convert/sync 120vdc or regulate/sync 120v ac?

Thank you and I hope I didn't cause any grimaces out there.

-- mdntdncr

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:14:48 AM by (unknown) »

spinningmagnets

Re: next newest newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »
Don't be embarrassed to ask anything, especially in the newbies section.

There are some misconceptions about putting power back into the grid. First, to build a grid-tied system, you may be restricted to using only certain components from a list thats approved by the county/state electrician.

"Net metering" is when the utility pays you for the electricity that you have put back into the grid. I think you can only get paid each month up to the amount that you have used, so that you can't make a profit. The best you can do is break even.

The laws vary from place to place and they also change each year, so check with your local utility to see whats possible for you.

Start with something small and cheap while you're learning. Here's a great starter project:

http://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/assemblyMini1.asp

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:00:26 PM by spinningmagnets »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
mdntdncr;

While treadmills may plug into the wall 120 VAC outlet many have motors that run on DC.

At least all the ones I have seen / messed with. That is not very many, however.

Just a bit of info that may not be obvious to someone new to it.

Welcome to the board.

Tom

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:17:12 PM by TomW »

mdntdncr

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:17:42 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I'll be taking the grid-tie slowly.  I already have

solutions for grid-tie on 12/24vdc that 'by-pass' my state's regulations since:

(1)  I'll be tying in on the load side, not the meter side and

(2)  the electricity produced will be small and for experimental purposes.

The problem is that I can only find 120v production for what I'm looking at

and I don't yet have a solution for that voltage.  I'm not quite ready to

build my own PM generator yet.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:17:42 PM by mdntdncr »

mdntdncr

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:23:26 PM »
Right . . I've found they run on DC, not AC, but all the ones I've found

or tried to buy run on 120V DC.  The voltage is not stepped down to 12/24V;

it's simply converted from AC to DC.  

Using a 120V DC motor would be beneficial.  Keep the same voltage, invert to

AC and sync instead of stepping back up from 12/24.  But there doesn't seem to be

any solutions for that.  The ones I've found are all set up for a

12/24 battery storage bank.  Convert it down and then step it back up?

I can just hear all the rest of the readers laughing their heads off already :S

<grin>

--mdntdncr

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:23:26 PM by mdntdncr »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:01:02 PM »
Not to discourage you, but...

You seem to be laboring under some false assumptions / ideas.

A direct grid tie wind turbine designed and built from the ground up would be a daunting task for a crew of professionals.

I don't have the energy to go into much detail but there are others who may tackle enlightening you. Perhaps I misunderstand your plan?

Might want to just do some reading in the "controls" section. This stuff is not rocket science but it is somewhat involved with subtle gotchas.

"Bypassing State laws" is not something I am comfortable being an accessory to. Rules can really suck, but they are in place for usually sound reasons.

Good Luck with it.

Tom

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:01:02 PM by TomW »

mdntdncr

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »
Thanks . . . I'll check it out.

I'm not wanting to build something that is a direct grid-tie.  I just want

to find a solution so I can focus my energies on producing the mechanical energy

that runs the motor, etc.

I put 'by-pass state laws' in single quotes to signify that it's just a phrasing.

I'm not talking about something illegal nor something that's unsafe.  I was

simply stating that I already have a solution (purchasable UL rated)for most

12/24vdc setups that does not necessitate the regulatory aspects of the prevalent

grid-tie systems that are traditionally sold.  

Ironically, I just don't have a motor that will let me do it.

I'd prefer a simpler solution and solve this part later.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:10:17 PM by mdntdncr »

tlaycock

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:55:40 AM »
The motor does not change the voltage from 120volts AC to 120 volts DC. The electronics in the motor control board does that.

The motor needs 120 volts DC to spin at its rated RPM.So if the motor is on a bench and you connect a volt meter to the two leads coming out of the motor then spin the motor at its rated RPM it will read 120 volts DC plus or minus a couple volts. Divide the 120 volts by ten and you get 12 volts, so then divide the rated speed by ten and this is how fast you will need to spin the motor to get 12 volts DC.

Does this help ?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:55:40 AM by tlaycock »

mdntdncr

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:22:44 PM »
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

That's fantastic.   I most definitely did not know that.

thank you so much.

-- mdntdncr

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:22:44 PM by mdntdncr »

divemaster1963

• God bless them all
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »
hey newbie. welcome aboard. I"m still learning myself. but the basic thing to do would be to do as what was stated before for 12volt output. I have tried treadmill motors to no avail. I have about 15 of them. I would suggest you posilble look for a ecm motor from a high sere ac unit. they are the best to start with. the best way to get to your outcome is to start really really small. charge to a 12 volt battery bank them use controller to get to 120 ac. I don't know much about the converters you are talking about. but not sure if they would be legal here where I am. Woofhound and Ghurd are the masters that I have been getting most of my Knowledge from and the other masters that are to many to name. check out the diaries of the people who post the most answers to questions. that should point you in the best direction.

good luck and good wind

Divemaster1963

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 07:54:39 PM by divemaster1963 »

mdntdncr

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
Thanks . .

I'm trying to start small, but for me small means using simple means.  

Charging a battery bank is something I'm currently trying to avoid since

(1)  I already know how that works and (2) It's a more complicated setup.

By the way . . where is 'here'?

Also . .  am I to take it that you are a fellow Divemaster?

--MD

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 08:26:53 PM by mdntdncr »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »
Charging a battery is more complicated to setup than a grid tied system?

There is a reason the cheapest one you found is $6000, and it is not because it is simple.

"I was simply stating that I already have a solution (purchasable UL rated)for most

12/24vdc setups that does not necessitate the regulatory aspects of the prevalent

grid-tie systems that are traditionally sold."

What do you have in mind?  Exactly.

I can not decide if you are being intentionally vague, or do not know the terms and grasp the overall concepts.

I have an uneasy feeling about the outcome either way.

G-

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:04:02 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

mdntdncr

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 11:03:48 PM »
Hahahahaha . . . .  I can understand the uneasiness.

I probably should have said tedious instead of complicated.

It's complicated to me because I'd have to have a place to set up the batteries,

maintain them, etc etc . .  While I know how to do this, I'm not really interested

in it right now because I won't learn anything from it and will have to

set aside a safe place for it.  Having a bunch of batteries sitting around

an overcrowded area does not strike me as safe.

I grasp the overall concepts . . I do not have a grasp of the finer points.

A simpler solution is a term that's based on my perspective as an enduser, not

as a builder.  Many of the readers are building control solutions, etc.  

This is not an area I'm wanting to delve into right now.  I'm new.

I'm more interested in exploring the mechanical production side.  I was

hoping to avoid setting up some battery storage system because I don't need

it for what I want to do.

There are some solutions out there for 12/24v that are simply plug&play.

They are autosynchronous, non-battery, and do not require major electrical connections.

Although they offer no real power and thus no great savings, they are from

an enduser's perspective 'simple'.

Although I've done some searches, I just haven't found a similar product for

higher voltage which happened to be the motors I'd found.  Someone else shed light

on that for me, so now I have some room for play.

As a licensed electrician, I have plenty of respect and experience for dealing with

electricity, just not a lot of experience in motors.  I'm not too interested in delving into the motors and motor controls yet.  I only want something small so that I can delve into the mechanical aspects of creating kinetic energy to tie to the motor.

Later on, after I have more time, money, and shop room, then I'll look into

motors.  But many of you guys who are much smarter than me are working on those :D

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:03:48 PM by mdntdncr »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »
(purchasable UL rated) solutions out there for 12/24v that are simply plug&play.

What do you have in mind?  

Exactly.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:45:06 PM by ghurd »

mdntdncr

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 04:57:34 AM »
To be honest, I don't remember.  I hit several search engines under grid-tie inverter (I think)and found they were available and just dropped it after that.  I didn't plan on purchasing anything until I'm ready to start.  Once I solve the rest of the problem, then I'll buy it.  I did find that one company was planning on making a 1000 watt device, but they didn't seem like they were that far along.  The rest were all 200 or 250 watts.  But if I didn't have a way to produce 12v, then it was useless for me to spend the money on it.  Additionally, I thought I'd hold out until I was closer and maybe the 1000 watt device will have passed it's UL rating.

Since I was looking at motors that were 120v, then I needed to know if there was a

120v solution.  I couldn't find one, so I thought I'd ask those with more experience.  But so far, it seems that there is no solution.  Other than hooking up 10 batteries as a storage bank.  ugh .. .

I do find it odd that there isn't an economical one.  It leaves me wondering if it's just simply unfeasible or the market hasn't gotten there yet.  I'm assuming that the market was driven by PV systems and not any mechanically driven production.  So, then, what would happen if we designed economical mechanically driven devices that were 120v?  Would a market develop?

I've seen a few devices where someone hacked an exercycle that plugged straight into the wall.  But they were trying to sell their product and I didn't learn how they did it.  I'm obviously not an electronics or electrical engineer and I don't know how to do it myself other than the solution mentioned above.  A company in Japan has recently designed (and I believe slated for production soon) one that can be sold to exercise gyms (Bally's, 24hr fitness, etc) where the 'consumer' would actually be contributing to the cost savings as they did their workout.  Do you think the gym would actually tell them this?  I do find that thought amusing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:57:34 AM by mdntdncr »

imsmooth

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »
I just built a grid-tied wind turbine.

http://www.mindchallenger.com/axial1.html

This will cost a few dollars.  I already had net metering with my 12kw solar array.  I purchased a UL approved wind inverter and routed it through a subpanel with a 20A/two-pole breaker.

I don't expect a break-even for a long time.  I did it to see if I could.  I learned a lot of disciplines along the way.  Definitely a great project.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:24:19 PM by imsmooth »

mdntdncr

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »
ahhh . . .  very interesting.  What did you happen to buy?

I tried the link, by the way, but it came up with a 404 not found error.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:31:34 PM by mdntdncr »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 08:20:40 PM »
What I am wondering is Why are you wanting to do this, I can tell you some really good reasons...

• Living remotely and don't have the grid
  • Need good backup power for when the grid goes down
  • It's a fun functional hobby

There is also a great reason not to do this too...

- Need to save money on your electric bill

It's a hard lesson to learn at first, it costs more to make your own power than to buy it from the grid and in 90 percent of cases you will see that there is not really a payback time since making usable electricity costs twice as much or more than buying it from a mass producer.

I am in the Hobby/Backup catagory.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:20:40 PM by wooferhound »

divemaster1963

• God bless them all
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 08:38:39 PM »
 Middle Ga. .actually I was and instrutor For IDEA. have stopped teaching fire and police on underwater rescue and recovery. Insurance cost way out of control. Now just use dm cert to have fun with fewer resrictions. as woofhound said it's not the cost savings we look for but the love of learning or nessesty. Mine is for my work shop located 800 to 1200 feet away from house on other side of creek. power company wants 5000 to just run power to shop plus additional 120 per month over usage.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:38:39 PM by divemaster1963 »

mdntdncr

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 09:28:31 PM »
you guys are funny!

I'd have to say I'm more in the learning category as Diver put it.  I completely understand the idea that you can't save money doing it.  But I would like to keep looking at what it would take to change that.  I don't have the knowledge you guys have with the motors and controls yet, but I do have ideas about power production.  More than likely they're crappy ideas, but still... I'd like to opportunity to find out.  But instead of simply redoing experiments that others have done over and over, I prefer to find out what's been tried and then think about what I might change to better that.  Some of it I want to do as a "let's see if . . ." kind of thing.  But others might be more feasible.  Regardless, it's still experimental however you look at it.  I just want to spend my time and ideas on harnessing the power right now and hope that someone else will eventually partner up with me to convert it.

However, I'm still quite happy to learn about it without the need to experiment.

For example, I know how a rectifier works, but how does an inverter actually work?

If you have an induction motor, how is that you can put a preliminary charge to it and then turn it to produce?  Stuff like that which is simple to you guys I still haven't been able to study.  Eventually I'll build one of Hugh's PMM's, but right now, I don't really need to.  Those are things I'll experiment with later.  

Besides, with the wife in school, a li'l one about to crawl in a house where the kitchen cabinets still aren't finished while I'm working out of town;  well . . I have to choose carefully which components of this movement I can spend my time working with.  I'd rather not solve a problem that's already been solved, eh?  <grin>

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:28:31 PM by mdntdncr »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 10:47:10 PM »
"...If you have an induction motor, how is that you can put a preliminary charge to it and then turn it to produce?.."

If you Google "induction motor conversion" and similar search terms, you will see many examples.You mention you are familiar with diodes, so you probably understand capacitors can hold a small charge.

There is a formula located several places around the web that helps you calculate the proper value of capacitor to use that will hold a small charge to help excite the armature on start-up. Here's one site of many:

http://www.linux-host.org/energy/ainductge.html

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:47:10 PM by spinningmagnets »

luv2weld

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 08:10:26 AM »
If you are serious about learning------here are a few

links to help you.

Studying Electronics----http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/study.htm

Electronic circuits-----http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/index.asp

Glossary of Electrical Engineering Terms---http://www.maxim-ic.com/glossary/

There are a lot more.

Ralph

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:10:26 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 11:26:33 PM »
I am pretty good at very many different crafts, because of this I have built almost all of my system from scratch. In fact I built everything I have from components except the solar panels themselves. I have also built a 200w wind genny but it's not flying yet. This is why I might see payback in 10 years because I built everything from inexpensive parts. Of course I already had the skills to do this from past life experiences.

Here is my Solar Power System . . .

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/1/7/222041/6802

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/3/18/232910/066

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:26:33 PM by wooferhound »

mdntdncr

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 04:11:23 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Spinning and Lov2weld, I'm already checking out your recommendations.  I much prefer to learn from what others have done first.

Woof, that's why I hope to make it feasible to save money.  Obviously, you can't make money on it, but . . if you can truly be generating enough power, you can increase the lifestyle a bit and not have to be constantly watching the thermometer, right?  Also, if there's enough power, then you could move the opposite direction from what we've typically done and switch back to electric from natural gas.

To be honest, though; if the CapNTrade passes, I suspect saving money will be a whole lot more feasible than we thought.

I have plans to build my generating aspects myself and eventually, the electrical generation as well.  I doubt that I will ever build a synchronized inverter, though (much as I would love to, I simply don't have enough knowledge for that).

Another reason I want to start small and not do the battery bank and all is because I need to remodel the house.  When I do, I'll completely gut the electrical, redesign the power flow, and upgrade everything.  At that point, I'll set up all my connections in preparation for an integrated system.

I plan to build another house, and I'd like to learn which things I want to do before then so I can design them into the architecture plans.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:11:23 AM by mdntdncr »

mdntdncr

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 04:13:31 AM »
Imsmooth,

I did manage to get to the site and I enjoyed watching your project.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:13:31 AM by mdntdncr »

mdntdncr

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »
okay . . . I was thinking about this induction today.  I know that a converted induction can only power another induction motor that's 1/6(?) the power of the one you're running.  So what happens when you run that power into/through the battery bank?  Will it be easy to store that energy in the bank and then whatever other induction motor you have on your system will pull from the bank?  or are you simply losing 5/6 of the energy in your conversion than you are mistakenly thinking you should have.

wow . . . that sounded convoluted . . :S

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:31:31 PM by mdntdncr »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »
I havent built an induction conversion yet, but they have been done often enough its well-known to work. I "think" as a generator they must be run at around 10% more RPM's than they were run when used as a motor.

Its true some of the field output is drawn off to power the spinning armature coils when using it as a gen. I suppose if permanent magnets were installed on the armature that were "the exact same strength as the armature coils", then...the field output would be higher.

The way they are worthwhile is when you get a used one cheap at an auction or a salvage yard. Removing the armature coils and using permanent magnets on the armature is called a Zubbly conversion.

Named after a man from here who showed how to get the most out of them. Sadly he has passed away. You can find the Zubbly conversions with pics by using the "Google search the board" button on the top right of this page.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:59:57 PM by spinningmagnets »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2009, 08:02:35 AM »
As I read through this thread, I began to wonder if you were seeing the whole picture, but this last post at least leans in the right direction. A big mistake (that many make, myself [almost] included) would be to just jump in without understanding what you're up against.

It all sounds simple enough; produce it, store it, sell it, buy it back, and use it. Unfortunately, as you will find out if you do all the right experiments and ask the right questions, it is a lot more complex than it sounds.

There's a reason its not cheap to set up and run an RE system - It's a lot of hard work; time, research, and effort. All of that on top of the fact that some of the equipment involved can have hefty price tags hanging from them too. It can be done obviously, but you'll waste a lot of time, energy, and money if you don't have it all figured out before you shell out the cash.

Being a newbie, forget the grid tie for now. That is probably the most headache intensive aspect. As several have pointed out, there are certain components of a grid tie system that have to be very specific (complying with code, etc) and therefore have a tendency to be expensive. Add that to the fact that the returns on such an investment are minimal, and it's not really worth it for the average joe.

Start small; I did mock up designs to understand what all is involved. When I realized just how much was going to have to happen, my end plans didn't look anything like what I had in my head when I jumped in. The result? I am still tweaking the ideas, collecting data, and continuously adjusting the design before I go full throttle with the idea. That's a year and a half after I started seriously contemplating RE...

As for batteries being 'dangerous', well, yes they are. But it's like anything else; you must have a healthy respect for their potential. We didn't get where we are by playing it 'safe' all the way... Understanding what the dangers are and making provision to deal with them is the key. Battery systems are the ideal way right now, mainly because they are simpler and cheaper (for the most part) than the alternatives (grid tie, etc). They come with their own set of issues, but they are easily resolved by a tinkerer, and don't involve things like code to the degree that tying in with your power company does.

Hopefully this helps a bit; I don't want to discourage you, but it sucks worse to see someone make expensive mistakes because they didn't know the pitfalls...

Steve

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:02:35 AM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

mdntdncr

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
  "but you'll waste a lot of time, energy, and money if you don't have it all figured out before you shell out the cash."

Exactly!!! (big smile)  but dang it, I sure wish I knew how you made 'before' bold.  That's another geek tweak I'm sorely lacking in.  It's interesting how an intelligent person can feel so moronic.     . .. good thing I'm not intelligent, huh?

"The result? I am still tweaking the ideas, collecting data, and continuously adjusting the design . . . . . a year and a half after I started seriously contemplating RE..."

That's the same thing here; although I'm not nearly as far along as you.  Also, as I wait, new products become available(as I've mentioned above).

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:50:38 PM by mdntdncr »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »
The bold part is easy, there's a couple of ways to do it, but the easy one is to put * on either side of what you want to make bold. The list of HTML control codes is down below the preview and post buttons at the bottom of the editing window - its a bit cryptic however in the sense that it assumes you know some HTML conventions...

The alternative for * is < STRONG > and < /STRONG >, only without the spaces after and before the greater/less symbols. In this case, "and" would be in bold, everything else normal.

For tweaking, yes, it continuously changes. There's a lot to it, and many different ways of doing something. The biggest trick is to find what will work for you, at the lowest cost.

This comes down to more or less the following:

A - Minimizing your energy requirements. This is an absolute must if you plan to keep the bank happy, yet overlooked rather often by beginners. Don't try to size a system up to your current usage. It's much cheaper to get rid of loads that you don't really need, and find less 'expensive' ways of doing what you must do (ie fluorescent rather than incandescent, etc). This can be a very notable teaching tool for you while you're still completely grid reliant - If you treat the grid as if you have to produce everything you use, you'll notice a big difference in your bill until you go independent! :)

B - Do your homework. Knowing the insolation stats (for solar) or having wind data for your area (for a mill) is crucial to a successful system. Also, ask questions, post findings, and get help from people who have been there. There are quite a few people on this board that definitely know their stuff. Read around, it's easy enough to determine who they are.

C - Know your budget. This is one of the harder ones. For me, it manifests as buying cheap crap that turns out being unreliable, costing me more in the end. If you can't afford to do it right, don't do it until you can.

D - For the best results, things need to be matched. Having a few thousand amp hour battery bank that can run your house for a week sounds great, until you understand the implications of not having enough money left over for anything more than a 25 watt solar panel to charge it with. There are several components in a typical system to keep in mind with this. Most of us start small, adding to the entire system evenly until there is no longer a need to do so. (Side question; is there a such thing? LOL) More load means you need more input, so more solar panels. But then where do you store the extra juice? Upgrade the battery. Then the inverter overheats. Gotta get a bigger one. But now you have all this extra juice... can do more load! And on and on and on :)

E - Beware the BS schemes all over the internet. "Green" is such a buzzword these days that everyone wants to cash in on it. If you stick with the DIY approach (like on here), you'll be fine. In fact, commercial 'plugging' is frowned upon here - a good sign that it's copesetic.

That should get you good and started; but while we're on the subject, I just want to reinforce the idea that saving money is the #1 reason you shouldn't do RE. While it's possible to eventually recover the costs, it takes a long, long time.

Most of us do it for fun, education, to 'stick it to the man', or because there is no other way to get the juice. The DIY approach leans out the wallet requirements a bit, but in no way is money the primary driving force around here.

Steve

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:26:33 PM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »
The 200W one has been available for a long time, it is just illegal to use it.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/1/28/234827/200

They have been promising the UL listed 1000W version for a long time too.

Don't hold your breath.

G-

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:31:58 PM by ghurd »

mdntdncr

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »
thanks . . good to know. . .
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:45:10 PM by mdntdncr »

mdntdncr

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
I don't know if I mentioned it here or not, but part of the reason for my experiments is for the future when I build a large house out in a more rural area.  I want to learn now and integrate the ideas that are proven into the house design.  When I do, I obviously, will be spending the money, eh?  But I intend the house to be built to last a long time and the same for its components.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 08:48:09 PM by mdntdncr »