Author Topic: wire size question.need help please.thanks  (Read 1066 times)

snake

wire size question.need help please.thanks
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »
hi friends,i have 3 questions to ask before i start building my axial flux wiind gen.

i want to build a 12v,3 phase with dual rotor,12 mag per rotor and 3coil per phase

i got a lot of old drilling machine,grinder and angled cutting machine.i remove the coils from all the machine and saw that it is still in good condition and can be use for some other purpose.i have decided to use them in the wind gen.i got lots of 15,16 and 24 awg wire.

my first question is:

can i use the 15 and 16 awg wire for different coil in one phase? for 1 phase,can i have 2 coil of 15awg and 1 coil of 16awg?

my secong question is:

lets say,i want 12v for my system (ignoring amps) and the number of turns in one coil is 36.

so,this 36 turns,does it apply for any wire size or is it for a specific wire size?

my third question is:

lets say that i want to use 1 strand of 24awg and one strand of 15awg wire with the same number of turns for every coil in the stator.is it advisable?

i know that i ask too many questions :D but i want to learn something.so please dont mind and help me wherever possible.thanks

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:37:41 AM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: wire size question.need help please.thanks
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »
It's probably okay to have one coil wound with 15ga and another with 16ga, in the same series, especially if all phases have the same thing going on.  Be careful that the size of the coil with 15gauge wire will be slightly larger, and harder to fit than if you expected all coils to be the size of 16 gauge coils.

Can you make the whole thing with your 15 gauge wire?  Enough turns, enough space, enough magnet to do it properly?  If so, save your 16 gauge wire for another project.

Voltage is produced mostly by the magnetic field and the number of turns, so yes, keep the same number of turns for that reason.  It's only after the current starts to flow that the size of the wire matters.  The difference in a single gauge of wire will have a fractional effect.

I don't understand your third question.  I don't think you should use 24 gauge wire in an axial flux generator.  It will just make it too complicated and "frankenstein".

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 06:45:11 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

snake

Re: wire size question.need help please.thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »
thanks for your reply friend.as you are saying,i think i will make use of 2 strad of 15" wire.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:09:22 AM by snake »