Author Topic: 120v 5600rpm treadmill motor.. bit of guidence please.  (Read 2637 times)

rottingspinalcord

120v 5600rpm treadmill motor.. bit of guidence please.
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »
well, I took a wrong turn on the highway on the way home from work and i am glad i did. i saw a treadmill and stopped and the man tossing it helped me get the heavy beartha into my vechile. the "can" is GS electric Treadmill Duty.

Rotatioin:cw  ???

voltage:120vdc

open enclousure

speed:5600rpm

horsepower:2.5hp

ive looked a bit and according to one posting my motor is about 46.66667rpm per volt= 653.333rpm for 14vdc. i used to have a 12v solar /wind system but i have moved scince and the blades of my older turbine are broken. i wanterd to know if i should try to gear up this motor and some help with pvc blade ideas.

windspeeds of inland massachusetts?

thank you in advance for any information.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:36:33 PM by (unknown) »

CmeBREW

Re: 120v 5600rpm treadmill motor..
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »
Hello-

I also just scored a treadmill motor like that. Ratings about the same and 24Amps.

I'll probably just make a nice 100Watt Pedal excercise generator with it for my bedroom.

I've made a couple windmills using them-- and they are a fun starter project.

That is a 'Fast' treadmill motor like the majority of them-- so If it were me, I would make a 6 blade pvc 3 foot diameter mill out of it. (6 blades to get over the cogging starts. It would take a hurricane with only 3 blades)

I think you will need the smaller 3 ft diameter in order to get the higher speed (Without horrible noise like a fast 4 footer) for that motor.

It could just be me, but I have Never been able to make a 3 blade mill that DON'T Make that horrible wirling noise (NO furling mechanism) in giant wind gusts. I hate  noisy mills.

Even though it will do less MAX power out in big (rare) wind gusts than a 4 footer, it should generate way MORE OFTEN as a 3' mill than a 4' mill I believe.

Might try Making the blades out of (typical 4" diam. Plumbing)  PVC pipe similar to this one I made here.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2009/2/7/194335/8871

I think these 6 blades do WAY better in turbulant wind than 3 blades, and most important of all the 6 blade made NO NOISE in giant wind gusts with NO furling mechanism.  During some 50mph wind gusts the blades must of been going over 3000rpm without making a sound. I was standing outside, but at a safe location-- and it was quite surprizing to me.

Put it at a safe Height in the better winds for best Watt hour production -- and put a piece of aluminum or sheet metal around the open enclosures on the motor with a big hose clamp and some caulk to keep the rain out-- and see what it does. (Might do up to a 100 watts in big wind gusts. The 32" I made only did upto 50 watts since the alternator I made was high resistance and wimpy, but a very fun first project!)

Hope I help.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:37:54 PM by CmeBREW »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: 120v 5600rpm treadmil motor.. bit guidence
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:37:48 AM »
Might find what can go right and wrong in AdamL's treadmill motor story,

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/8/25/12258/0492

G-
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:37:48 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

rottingspinalcord

guidence please.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »
I got the Flywheel off! ive also managed to score 7ft of pvc piping off of the side of the traintracks down the street. with a rope after i got the flywheel off i managed to get 25+v outta my little treadmill motor, but i'm still thinking about gearing it up so less wind makes more rpm. hopefully photos of this and my other projects soon. how far above the treeline should i go, my turbine that fell down last winter was only 15' high and i am sure it could have gotten more watts if it had cleared my roofline/treeline. any specific tools to use when cutting pvc piping? any information is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:47:41 PM by rottingspinalcord »