Author Topic: Here's an Observation  (Read 240 times)

Bach On

Here's an Observation
« on: July 06, 2003, 02:46:17 PM »
I've noticed something that many of us do on this board. Someone will post something on some subject. Four or five folks will post some response.  

Then someone decides to respond to somebody's response. The problem is that we can't tell who's response they are reacting to.

Example:

Joe Blow wrote something.

DanB answers him.

Dave responds and takes a different position.

Mike responds and offers another approach.

Then Bach On responds to one of the above posts and agrees with it.

We just can't tell the exact position with which he's in agreement.

Any ideas to address this? Mine would be to put the name of the poster who's message you are replying to as part of your post.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 02:46:17 PM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

Re: Here's an Observation
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 03:20:02 PM »
  I agree... It gets kind of boggled and hard to follow at times where there is alot of posts.  I've been going by number but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Could be more organized but not sure how...

Ed

« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 03:20:02 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

Bach On

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 08:10:59 PM »
Ed,

I notice that you didn't address your post to me by name. Of course, mine was the only post in this thread. If there had been others, however, it might have been difficult to know to whom you were writing.

I'd suggest we begin all posts (except for new threads) with the ID or name of the writer who's post we are answering. Now, if I can only learn to spell Anonymous Hero.

Bach On

« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 08:10:59 PM by Bach On »

(unknown)

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 05:10:32 AM »
If you click on the "reply to this" button attached to that particular post, the reply post will appear in the column under it slightly over to the right side.  Easy once you figure it out.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 05:10:32 AM by (unknown) »

Bach On

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 01:33:50 PM »
Hero,

You are right about clicking on "Reply to this." But many people don't or they don't do it consistently. So you don't know if they did or didn't use that option when they respond to a thread or a particular post.

Using the name of the poster in your response makes the most sense to me. And that is simple, so why not?

Bach On

« Last Edit: July 07, 2003, 01:33:50 PM by Bach On »