Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 711 times)

snowcrow

Re: Global Warming
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 11:35:34 AM »
Well put, Damon!!!!!!!!!!!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:35:34 AM by snowcrow »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2007, 01:12:51 PM »
GeoM;

Well put.

It is a scientific fact that life will always find a way.

The biggest problem I see is that we, the bi-peds will make it unliveable for ourselves and not necessarally for the rest of the planet.

For far longer than we've walked on this planet, life has found ways and are still doing so.

I applaud all who are helping to make the air cleaner the water swimmable and so forth. There's more that can be done to increase the air quality and standards of living for ALL.

BUT those who seek to do this for their own gains ,,, need to take a long holiday first and get over theirselves.

I read the entire article and the people making assuntions need to take a reality check and think about what they put out.

This article should've been put out on fools day.

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:12:51 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Snow Crow;

Someone was listening. Check out the link:-D

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/09/fat-burning-members-power-hong-kong-fitness-club/

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:18:00 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

snowcrow

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 07:34:11 PM »
Thanks for the link Bruce, Story of my life, always a day late and a dollar short on the big idea!!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:34:11 PM by snowcrow »

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2007, 03:09:56 AM »
Joesfoundry

Yes you are right!

But we cant allow the earth to have any kind of

weather change the earth has no right to get warmer

under no circumstances... we must control this

rebellious planet.....lol

Luckeydog

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:09:56 AM by luckeydog »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 07:02:13 PM »
I used to hear in the 1960's that it was Carbon Monoxide (CO) from car exhaust that was causing the worst damage to the environment. Then during the Mount St Helens eruption, I heard that MSH belched more CO in one week than all the cars in the history of the world. This isn't even counting Vesuvius, Krakatoa, and Pintaubo.

Now they say that its methane from cow belches, and Carbon Dioxide (from people breathing?). People eat too much meat, and have too many babies, but there's not much of a chance that anyone can legislate China and India into "cutting back". They're burning coal without exhaust filters as fast as they can.

As far as the oceans level, The north pole is a big floating pancake of ice with 90% of it underwater. Water is bigger when its frozen (ever split a milk jug when freezing water?) so if it melts, the level will be the same. Ice on land (Antarctica, Greenland, Canada, Russia) will run into the ocean, but if everything is hotter, there will be more vapor in the atmosphere, so level stays the same. I imagine there will be more rain and hurricanes from the increased atmospheric moisture. I recommend avoiding the purchase of property in New Orleans that is 17 feet below the sea level.

The K-T Boundary is the thin layer between the "giant dinosaur" era and the small animal era. It is rich in meteoric iron and volcanic ash. The bubbles in petrified tree resin called "amber" show the pevious atmosphere was over 30% oxygen. Trillions of hot iron meteorites raining through the atmosphere pulled O2 levels (rust, the oceans floors are covered with meteoric rust) down to 21% making it hard for the big dinos to breathe, the volcanic ash from a giant asteroid strikes (Yucatan, Antartica, etc...) blocked out the sun for months, killing much plant life, killing giant herbivores, which denied giant carnivores of viable prey.

There were thick lush forests in Alaska/Siberia which were neccessary to feed enormous herds of Mammoth elephants. It was so warm there was coral in the water there. Then it then got so cold, there was a ridiculously thick glacier covering most of North America.

The Earth is going through a warming cycle, but man is not the cause. I hadn't heard before about CO2 being scrubbed by the ocean and being converted to calcium carbonate, but there is more CO2-to-O2 conversion going on by oceanic plankton than by trees (those camera whores!)

I haven't seen any published measurements of Methane and CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere, and I suspect its because you can't fake an easy to replicate measurement. Mars and Venus are warming at exactly the same rate as the Earth, so its not people.

Right now oil-drillers and low-pressure helium reactor builders will bend over backwards to be clean, but the environmental lobby is using the Endangered Species Act ("spotted owl, tiger salamander, gnatcatcher", etc...) to stop all developement. The only thing that can bypass it is a presidential order during a "national emergency", and when that happens, it's going to get very messy.

Solar desalinated sea water will be expensive, and so will syn-fuels from tar-sands and shale-oil. Learn everything you can about self-sufficiency, because its coming.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:02:13 PM by spinningmagnets »

snowcrow

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2007, 07:27:40 PM »
"Mars and Venus are warming at exactly the same rate as the Earth, so its not people." Spinningmagnets, where did this info come from?? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:27:40 PM by snowcrow »

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2007, 12:47:17 AM »
Mars and Venus are warming at the same rate because

of the solar flairs from the sun.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:47:17 AM by luckeydog »

snowcrow

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2007, 05:17:44 AM »
luckeydog, send me a link to this information!! Well, I'll tell you right now as a seasoned student of astronomy, this the first that I've heard of solar flairs heating up the planets!! It may make for some good story telling, but I can tell you it just isn't so!!

I don't know how other people may feel about the global warming debate, but I for one, have my eyes open wide, and my mind as well. Be careful what you see and take as truth, for you maybe deceived, and find in the end, that the "Endangered Species Act" applies to you as well!!!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:17:44 AM by snowcrow »

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:13:59 PM by luckeydog »

snowcrow

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2007, 12:44:56 PM »
luckeydog, you can't really believe all that you see on the web to be truth, and one of the links you sent me states their intent, plain as day!!!

On http://fathersforlife.org/REA/warming13.htm , the top of the page they state where their loyalty is:

"Working in the interests of the owners of rural electric services"

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:44:56 PM by snowcrow »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
I can't believe this...
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2007, 12:56:32 PM »
Ron sure suckered in a LOT of you guys with this joke.

Almost every link or supporting comment has its own agenda. Usually involving someone making or keeping their money.

Well, it is your forum....

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:56:32 PM by TomW »

luckeydog

• Colorado Wind Power
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2007, 03:50:23 PM »
Snow crow

Yes you are right

you cant believe everything people say

especially politicians.

look at all points of view and do some thinking

and come up with a reasonable answer.

we cant predict the weather 7 days out accurately

so we sure cant predict it 50 years out.

I still know there is a lot of misinformation

out there. ya just got to swim threw it.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:50:23 PM by luckeydog »

spinningmagnets

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »
I DO believe that the Earth is warming, and that this warming will cause a downward spiral of problems. I just also believe that mankind isn't the cause.

Something that is unknown, undefined, and widely debated is causing Mars to warm. The warming is causing enormous dust storms which affects its atmospheres absorption of solar heat, which is speeding up the warming, causing worse dust storms, etc...

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Global_Warming_Hits_Mars_Too_999.html

It might be an undiscovered "X" factor, solar flares, solar electromagnetic field variations (if the sun can keep a hold of faraway Pluto, the Earth is in a much stronger part of its grip [flux?]).

I'm certainly not in favor of "polluting for fun and profit", but if anyone is certain that the only cause of global warming is human activities, will you admit that the biggest human polluters by far are India and China? Sadly, they have been unresponsive to international influence.

On another note, The original post cites an article that posed the question "if you walk a few miles, you burn "X" amount of calories, and it would take "Y" amount of beef to replace those calories. Then, driving a modern car would cause less global warming than the cows needed to make up those calories. (when I drive a truck, I still get hungry, so its not either/or, though manual labor does make me slightly hungriER)

I think this is a little disingenuous. Who eats nothing but beef? wouldn't oatmeal and veggies/fruit, with a little chicken or fish be a better calorie source for a realistic comparison? (although, I AM a big supporter of Biodiesel and Ethanol).

I do get the point that, for instance, its better to get LOCAL veggies/fruit. Cutting back on meat and eating more V/F is good, but if the fruit you're eating is a Kiwifruit flown from New Zealand to Florida, that would be more bad than good.

Warm-water coral and forests thick enough to support elephants in Siberia? A ridiculously thick glacier covering North America? very big changes, and I believe mans contribution is just a spit in the ocean.

"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." -Emo Philips

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:32:10 PM by spinningmagnets »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 09:58:16 PM »
 drawing a correlation between the earth and the red planet ?

it might very well be a red herring.

i hope you have more luck proving mars is heating up than they have had convincing people we have a local problem. lol

you can blame it on mysterious unknown forces or the two hundred gigatons of carbon dioxide we have released into this  biosphere.

i think it's past the point of blame and we just need to do something about it now.

one of the reasons the chinese are polluting so much is they are  busy making "stuff" for us.

" I believe mans contribution is just a spit in the ocean."

man , thats a lot of spit !!

this 21 century may take a lot of getting use to,but the 22 century should be pretty good.

so now i think we need a lot of trees ,a new fuel and a new outlook .

i think the crisis we are ALL going to be dealing with,

will not be the end of our reign as the dominate species.

with luck it will elevate us into a new and better harmony with nature.

we have proven we can mess it up. so now we will prove we can fix it up.

mankind has the power now to make this world anything we wants.

so do we want what we have now or do we want something else.

something better.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:58:16 PM by electrondady1 »