Author Topic: Where too next for Fieldlines  (Read 1293 times)

oztules

• Village idiot
Where too next for Fieldlines
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:28:52 PM »
It is with some sadness that I take pen to paper (so to speak) to put into words what I feel is a sad but I suppose expected direction that fieldlines is going.

There was once a vibrant experimental feel about the board, where folks would try things and report back with stories and pics to indicate the good or bad ideas and move along.

Through the influence of Hugh, and Flux, it rapidly became clear which designs were the most efficient and buildable. The axial flux became the norm, and that was that.

Zubbly kept us intrigued with his conversions, but while tough and interesting, were just not up to the light wind capture that the Axials were.

Of course during that time, lots of folks were building them in various flavours, and placing their projects on this site. This was of great interest and always an enjoyable read.

Well the Dans have perfected their version, and retracted from discussion and moved on to other things, plus they have done it all before and I suspect there is only so much you can rehash.

So we get to today.

In August so far, there have been just three projects published on this board. Two have been from me, and one from Afghanistan. I hope some of you enjoyed the read and the pictures.... but what has happened to everyone else?

What is bothersome, is that none of the project type stories ever made it to the front page either.

Does this mean that projects are now of no importance at all?

I can recall Tomw saying that this is what he lives for.... apparently not any more.

It appears that the editors have decided not to encourage real stories but rather...  "my cat is caught up the tree.. oh whoa is me help! help!"

When I spend hours trying to craft a story with scoop, only to find that the opinion of our editors is that it is less worthy of view than these competing classics:

Outback 3000 Watt Inverter Question    

New! Smart Drive Bearing Specification    

Alternative living home for sale in Northern Michigan    

For Ghurd    

Telephone wire coils for small wind turbine ?    

New! So much Info    

Searching

and other similar "front page stories"

Then I wonder if it is worth it any more.

It seems that the bent of the editorial staff is on twaddle rather than stories. I find this sad.... maybe that is why there is only three real stories in the month so far.

On a separate point, the chainsaw blade story could well have been added to the FAQ as it is the only innovative improvement to blade construction to have surfaced in the last 4 years that I know off.

In fact if you are going to build bigger blades, it is the only easy quick, accurate way to do it..... but now it will be lost in the forum archives, and no-one else will benefit.

Even Hugh Piggott has given a link to it from his front page... so it must have some merit.

Here it didn't even get to the front page as it was not considered worthy of interest. Other far more riveting titles such as these:

New! Plenty of Solar and Energy News here (just dribble really)

Treadmill Motor PVC Blades (no pics, just question)

Rewind (no pics just question)

.... were of more interest.

I don't understand why real stories are now discouraged, it feels like the modern electronics store now, where they want to sell you gadgets and phones, but no longer stock resistors and capacitors.

No it's sad. I for one will take the hint and publish no more articles that seem to be now out of step in the current climate. I (foolishly apparently) thought this is what we lived for.

So it seems that for this site now, it's "take your real stories elsewhere, we are just not interested anymore", instead we will ..... I don't know, what will we be interested in now..... more inane questions on the front page. Is this as good as it gets now?

Don't get me wrong the questions are very very valid, but pushing them onto the front page is just ...I don't know .. silly I think. The front page should be for projects... or interesting stuff, but it keeps changing for changings sake, not for decent content sake.... and that dilutes the use of a front page anyway.

Now at this point, Tom will get all uppity with me, and take offence. Thats not what I am after Tom. I would prefer you to address the point.... what do you actually want placed here... are real stories really less important than standard poorly researched questions?

I obviously just don't get it

.......sadly oztules

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:28:52 PM by (unknown) »
Flinders Island Australia

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: Where too next for Fieldlines
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
It has always been encouraged for the users to post their projects in the Diary section to that everybody can keep up with your progress. But the Diaries can't appear on the Front Page.

I'm looking at both the Front Page, and the Everything page, well I don't see anything different between the 2, so I'm sure that all the projects including yours are appearing on the Front Page. You will need to physically click on the Newbies area to view it though.

I'm not real sure about putting the Chainsaw Prop story into the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, as nobody has asked how to carve props with a chainsaw yet. However there should be some kind of Archive area maybe, where all the important informative stories could be moved to.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:51:47 PM by wooferhound »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »
Oztules;

I have to say first that I have no where near the projects posted to be able to point in one way or the other.

I will say that there seems to be times each part of each year, where there's a rush of new people asking the same questions, some do research others "don't" and get mad when it's pointed out.

I'm an optimist at heart, so personally, it'll always be worth it, here or elsewhere.

Perhaps ALL the editor(s) will chime in with where this is going.

I'm not taking up for TomW, I just know there's more than 1 or 2 and they all have input as to what gets pushed where and what the standards are.

AND there are times when there seems to be posts of on going projects every other day.

???

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:01:37 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 03:09:13 PM »
Woof,

Some of the Newbie stuff does appear on the Front page, but not on everything from what I've noticed.

Might be what he's referring to?

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:09:13 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »
I don't think that any of my posts have ever made the front page, and I'm not hurting.  I don't fully understand why you are.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:14:10 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
Right now there are 4 newbies and 2 classifieds on the front page Norm.

The everything page seems to be a machine generated page of everything as it comes off the press.

The front page has been sifted for the best content to best reflect the site's flavour... I think anyway.

.....oztules

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 04:43:29 PM by oztules »

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
I agree in part with what you are saying but looking at my own progress, it was slow as I gathered materials, quite quick to assemble an axial generator and get it into the air but now I've hit the slow (and I think more difficult) part of actually using the power in a useful way and controlling the battery bank. This means that the items to report on have become very slow (from here anyway!) so the 'other stuff' is going to float up to the top!!

Is your main criticism that the Everything and Front Page links often look that same?

For example I know that there are lots of controllers out there which you guys in the US can probably buy new for the cost of a tank of gas but it ain't really the case here, hence my quest to find out how lead-acid batteries work in detail so that I can design my own controller (especially since I'm using my system in a slightly unconventional way).

I do wonder though, coming back to 'oztules' comments, if there would be much interest as it seems at this level it may be over most peoples heads (i.e. it won't be something they can just go out and buy!).

I shall press on regardless and put up more diary entries as I achieve each milestone to my goal of running the swimming pool from wind power - many criticisms of my approach have turned out to be right so I have learnt a great deal here and I hope to continue learning. I also what to try and prove some of those critics wrong as well :-)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:00:33 PM by frackers »
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 05:09:34 PM »
Damon,

you are misrepresenting the thrust of my rant. It is not that just my story is not there, but that any Interesting Project  Story about wind has not been elevated to front page.

Of my own stuff,... well I never use the front page, nor would most daily users, they will use the recent activity, and probably not even be aware it is there. It is the newcomer to the site who will see it, and they are the ones we want to attract.. so I gather. It was only some comment made by Tom that a good story should be "kicked"to the front page that even caused me to look.

You have never built a decent sized set of blades (3-4m), and until you do you will never appreciate what a drag it is to get the board down to a managable proportion (twist, taper and thickness)... and thats before the plane work starts. To have that all happen in the space of ten to twenty minutes instead of days of careful sawing and chiselling (for those without a bandsaw or spokeshave) is of fundamental importance. For dinky blades and solar cells it is of no importance.... but it needs to be available, and it is that important. Hugh has built large blades himself, I don't think the editors have.

The reason this mill took 3 years or so is trying to get out of doing the blades again. The first set I carved filled the shed with mountains of shavings, and even Danb figures on 50 lbs of shavings on his 15' set.... after the bandsaw and/or large field saw.

I am not hurt, humiliated, sore, or upset or mentally distressed that my stuff is not front page news... never have been.. it is though, the window to the editorial bent of the site.... or else why have a front page.

I read your stories, and am interested in your changes. I didn't need the front page for that. Keeping the current users up to date with your projects will be by the recent activity page... for all us users it it the important page.. not the front page.

If you read my posts, you will see that I do go to great lengths to actually help people, and after your help, was able to rework circuitry for Methanolcat to incorporate hysteresis...Thats why I see one of those stories as important. But with the practical side of the site diminishing, and the armchair brigade becoming a larger mass, it is changing from doing to thinking.... I'm no good at that.

...........oztules

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:09:34 PM by oztules »

vawtman

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 06:23:24 PM »
Your a great man Oz.I follow everyting you say and do front page or not.Your post was well deserved and maybe it got lost in the shuffle many posts in that time frame.

I missed it at first.You guys are all fired up at 3am and i'm passed out.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:23:24 PM by vawtman »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 07:01:14 PM »
sometime in the next two days, i will post a bunch of projects that I have been working on this year so far. I'm a slacker... i really was waiting for a rainy day, but there hasn't been any of that. LOTS OF PICS.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:01:14 PM by electronbaby »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 07:02:48 PM »
OZ;

Well, I think if they were "Diaries" we usually do not put them to the FP. Mostly historically than some "policy". At one time we did bump Diaries to the FP but there were issues with some users not wanting their Diaries on the FP.

I do honestly try to push all interesting "regular" stories to the FP, almost always anything where someone is doing something, even a simple TDM and PVC blades.

Scoop has been getting steadily less stable as time goes on. The uploads area is one example. Mangled filenames, corrupt files, etc.

I do not look at the FP myself, I use recent activity to keep current. Even that is buggy and stuff slips through that I don't see until another comment is added.

Anyone working on a real project will get an FP bump for questions. Mostly so they can get an answer quickly.

There is really no policy as such for what goes FP. Sometimes there is not much to choose from.

It kind of comes down to getting the most use of this resource for the broadest audience. Lately that seems to be folks with questions on planned projects and some in progress projects.

It is also summer up here and most folks do their projects inside in the workshop in winter and outside stuff in summer. I think your southern hemisphere seasons being reversed makes it look worse than it is. By the by, you were pretty quiet all winter up here but I figured it was because it was summer there.

For a site with 11K+ registered users, we do not get a lot of fresh story posts. Frankly, some are not worthy of inclusion at all but we leave them in their section.

OK, heres my proposal for fixing this:

I make you an editor [its like vampires, takes one to make one]. You can push stuff you think should be up front to the FP. It takes 30 seconds to infect you [%=}.

Beyond that, I think we are open to suggestions. Not like we can force folks to build turbines and systems and post about it.

Your call.

Tom

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:02:48 PM by TomW »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 09:15:20 PM »
I never look at the Front Page and didn't figure anyone else did either.  Just see them all again on Everything.

The questions are (more often than I expected) from builders who don't post the end result.

The controller kit puts me in a fairly unique posisition to know what people are doing.

Fairly typical type email I get about controllers...

"Ghurd, I am 'ABC123'.  I asked a single question 3 months ago.  Now my 4' windmill is finished, and I need a controller."

'Did you post pics?'

'No, it is so small.  I don't have space for anything larger.  Everybody builds 10' and 15' windmills.  Mine seems trivial.'

An example is bend1.  Posted only 2 questions.  

One about what kind of motor, one about being confused on the operations of LVDs and dump load controllers.

Only replied 3 times.

Then just today he posted a photo of his windmill and one of his control panel.

No info, just 2 photos and a thank you.

I believe they are building stuff, they simply are not posting the end result.

I get some very nice photos in email and encourage them to post.  Very few do.

G-

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:15:20 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
I'll be looking for them Roy, I love to see projects small or large.... I like to see people doing things.... I don't know why, I just do.

...........oztules

ps I found that the insert feature is context sensitive, so if you type the first few letters of the picture file you want, it may find it for you. This makes it easier to post I found with the last story. Otherwise that last story would have been very difficult to deal with  (now over 160 pics in the file)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:13:54 PM by oztules »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »
Hi Robin,

"Is your main criticism that the Everything and Front Page links often look that same?"

No, if the front page is full of people doing things and showing what they have done... warts and all, failures included, I'll be as happy as a pig in s##t.

If they all build the same machine... I still want to see them all.

At least this is still available from the recent activity page. Our front page advertises us to the new to the site browsers, and first impressions count.

I think we need to encourage doers to the site to stabilise the foundation. Easier said than done.

The best way of encouraging people to do it ..... is by doing it. The Dans built this site exactly like that. They built, they showed, we all got hooked, and and we all followed in some form or another.

The front page does not need to change every day, perhaps it should be reserved for projects. None of us users see it anyway...What I saw when I looked, caused me to write this rant.... I reiterate, this is not about my projects, none of us users look at it anyway.

Better stale projects than classifieds and newbies questions (which will be caught in the recent activity page where the people who are going to answer them are anyway)..

Remember, the front page is where the link from Otherpower goes to for the first glimpse of FL. What do you want them to see?

..........oztules

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:47:19 PM by oztules »

Jerry

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 11:07:15 PM »
Hi Oztules.

I kinda understand what your sayin. I just thought its saturation, its all been done, been tryied, been built, been fixed , been broke and fixed again.

The repitition for the oldtimmers could get boring I gues.

I know I don't hang out much any more. When I do stop by I don't see as many exciting things like in the past.

Could be these machines are getting prety well prefected?

I've not been able to build or expiriment much for the last year because of my store fire last July 6th. I'm still messed up with that one.

But I've still got lots of projects on the back bunner. Things like.

8" diameter foam pipe for blades 4ft to 8 ft.

Wind tunnel compairison of the Hugh wood carved 4 ft blades VS Jerry blades, foam pipe blades, VS 403 blades VS PCB, ABD ZUB-Woofers.

Hugh 4ft alt VS Garbogen.

You know how I stir things up.

Anyway I'm eager to get back, but I firure maybe another year for me to get back to full strid.

I know I'll never come even close to filling Zubblys (we miss you buddy) shoes but I will post a conversion story now and then in the future.

Keep up the dialog and good work group.

Best regards.

JK TAS Jerry  

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:07:15 PM by Jerry »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 12:02:24 AM »
Hi Tomw,

Thanks for your response.

"I do not look at the FP myself, I use recent activity to keep current. Even that is buggy and stuff slips through that I don't see until another comment is added.

Anyone working on a real project will get an FP bump for questions. Mostly so they can get an answer quickly.

There is really no policy as such for what goes FP. Sometimes there is not much to choose from."

If you check the reply to Robin (above ?) it mostly covers this I think, however......

1. Bumping questions to FP is probably a waste of advertising space. The users that will answer them will not know it is there anyway.... they will do like you and me and use recent activity page (bugs and all... it sort of works ok)

2. Your right, looking through I was shocked to find only 3 wind stories for the month thus far... frightening really, although Bent1 has come to the rescue with a small fourth. (great to see it on the FP). I don't see the need to keep the front page fresh, but I do see the need to have interesting stuff on it, as it is first stop for re-directs from otherpower.com... they will not have seen it before anyway, and you want to attract the doer to want to do as well.

What you want their first impression to be of will come from here....and what they see first is pretty sad really,..... the doers will turn off here.

You want it easy to see interesting stuff right away, at the moment they have to sift through a months postings to find a few stories at all, and impossible to find an inspiring one straight off the bat.... just seems a waste of resource.

3. The broadest audience for answering things will be found on recent activity pages. pushing Q&A to the FP is a waste..

4. Perhaps there should be a policy on the FP, and this should include... no questions, no classifieds, no links to newsworthy stories RE or otherwise, but practical interesting/inspiring projects only. Skewed to wind, but including other RE stuff. Remember, we won't see it anyway, but newcomers from otherpower will.

5. I didn't start this rant to get front page billing (that none of us see), I just got alerted to the fact, that it was a resource that was not being used in the best interest of a practical site. It showed newcomers that we didn't do anything worthwhile.... maybe thats why we attract the current crop of non-doers. All they see are newbie questions,and classified and links to "stuff" and so do the same... The practical folk go "this is dribble" and move on

It is sad that with 11000 or more users, we seem to have attracted a good deal of hot air, and too few project people. And your right, you can bring them to water but you can't make em drink....... but they can be encouraged....

One of the other things that may entice users to take the time to produce an interesting post, is, if it is any good, it won't be lost forever in 2 days (like my last project). I think it was a good post, but I know it will last a day and be gone..... so why bother anymore.

If people knew that their effort would be accorded some time to be viewed, you may give incentive to post good postings. At the moment that is so far from the truth it is a serious problem.

At the moment, a quick rant attracts attention, (Ronb plays this card well) a good inspiring post will be gone tomorrow, with very few benefiting from it. Thats why I have had enough.... it just isn't worth the effort to spend 3-4 hours doing a post, in the hope you may inspire or help someone, to be lost in a day amongst the chatter. A chat post will hang around for days and days and is a three minute post, so this is why we are attracting hot air posts. There is no incentive for people to go to the trouble to inspire, or entertain us with good practical postings.

A simple fact.... Good informative, entertaining, well pictured posts take a lot of effort. Short dribble posts take no effort.... guess what posts we attract now.

We need a way to help decent posts to be worth posting, or there will be less and less, as others see it is not worth the effort.

I am encouraged that Hugh has seen the worth of the blade story, and I think Backshed is doing something to allow blade builders at that site at least, a chance to see blades being made differently than has been the case. Neither have been at my behest if you are wondering.... they have obviously built blades the hard way before.

I will give the edit option some thought, but not sure if I am up to it..... I may be a bit too brutal. (I have obviously given you so much grief, that you have finally decided to get even)

...........oztules

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:02:24 AM by oztules »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 12:12:44 AM »
Hi Jerry

"The repitition for the oldtimmers could get boring I gues.

I know I don't hang out much any more. When I do stop by I don't see as many exciting things like in the past.

Could be these machines are getting prety well prefected? "

Yes the repetition for the old timers probably is boring, but I don't think any of us get tired of reading a good account of someones project.. with pictures of how it's built. Every one seems to find a way to do it differently.

When you drop in, there are less doing stories, because they are not worth wasting valuable time on writing up any more. They are lost amongst the rubbish in no time, so no=one is bothering anymore.

I hope you have more success than me in getting something good  in front of the folks for more than a day. You are going to put in a lot of effort, and it will be a shame for it to be buried in crud before most people can read it.

The machines are far from perfected, and I am constantly surprised at how each constructor finds ways to modify it.

The idea is as good as it gets at the moment, but the Dans design leaves plenty of room for improvement.

Great to hear from you again Jerry

...........oztules

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:12:44 AM by oztules »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 12:32:45 AM »
Ghurd,

And to reiterate what I have said above, why would they bother, they think people are not interested in them, or that their projects are not good enough.

If they do spend the time and effort, they are lost in no time at all to piffle posts... for all that effort.

So they give you the pics (rats), and shy away from the board because there is no overt mechanism to support their effort. Obviously no overt effort to make them feel that they and their project matter to us at all.... perhaps it has become big brotherish, and like the government... we don't really care, just gasbag about it.

Perhaps they intuitively know that if they post it it will be ignored and lost in minutes. How do we stop them thinking like that..... perhaps thats the question?

Bent1 didn't do a story, just pics, I can only assume that he felt it not worth the effort.... I hope not.

..........oztules

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:32:45 AM by oztules »

David HK

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 05:34:22 AM »
Just a note that to announce that I am on the threshold of putting up the results of 19 months of part time work with design innovations on Hugh Piggot's 2.4m (8 feet swept area) wind turbine) which will attract a lot of comment (two machines being built at the same time).

Be patient and everyone can have a field day.

I don't care where it gets to on this site as I only every use Site News Everything.

David HK

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:34:22 AM by David HK »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 05:42:33 AM »
A good rebuttal: thanks for clearing that up.

(And thank you for your kind words.)

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:42:33 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

elt

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 05:59:33 AM »
> For a site with 11K+ registered users,

I wonder what they do ... for the most part, it seems, that most stories get 120 to 180 readers in the short term. Nice reference works maybe grow to three or four hundred over time. It seems to me that people are reading stories, regardless of where and when they were posted but not too many...

I'm not bothered to read someone's comment that the stories and diaries I posted this month are "piffle" _ I'll defend anyone's right to their own opinion _ mine is that they weren't piffle to me.

- Ed.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:59:33 AM by elt »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 06:06:51 AM »
I'm most apologetic Elt, I missed that one on the second August.....

The only wiggle room that I have is that it was in mechanical not wind..... but that is a poor excuse at best.

Please accept my apology

It was a good informative post.. so that makes about 4 for the month..

........oztules

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:06:51 AM by oztules »

oztules

• Village idiot
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 06:10:53 AM »
And I missed Blue Yonders as well (mechanical also)

Sorry Blue

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:10:53 AM by oztules »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 06:51:45 AM »
I too have a couple of building stories to post, I am waiting because i like to include "Results" with my building stories. otherwise I end up with 2 stories: one about the project, and a second about the results.

I have gotten a lot done this Summer, I have posted most of it but I need a few more details before I post the other stories. Plus a have a coupla more projects that are soon to be started.

Plus I kinda noticed that the project stories slowed to a crawl about the time it got warm this year. I was thinking it was because most of us are building right now and will post about it in the months that we are trapped inside by the cold.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:51:45 AM by wooferhound »

blueyonder

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 06:55:50 AM »
  dear oztules.

i understand what you are saying in this post.

but the replys you are getting look as if thay have missed the point you are trying  

to make.

sum replys evan went to try and attack your thinking.

for a story to reach the front page i think it needs to have merit.

and bye putting a story on the front page it gives credit to the poster.

so if you want to read a interesting post .thats full of info about how

the poster made or built sumthing bye himself .

for the purpose of renewable energy .

and with pics if possible .

of course there are many other things that can go on the headlines.

as you said your post about cutting timber blades with a chainsaw never made it.

i dont know why not.

sure was interesting story with great pics.

as was the guy who couldent afford two steel discs at $100 each.

so he did it his way.

that story impressed me . as yours did.

thats why the front page is there for that type stuff .

unless you browse the recent activity.  as you say things are gone.

sumtimes my post gets moved to mechanical.

and now my spelling is getting much better .

i find my post on the front page.

i enjoy how the dans share with a good story and great pics.

its hard work sorting the wheat from the chaff .

so methinks wheat is found on the front page.

as your trying to say.

i admire your work and love to read comments and posts from you.

ps thanks for the tip on how to get wire strait again.  

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:55:50 AM by blueyonder »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 07:40:46 AM »
Oz;

Ok,this will be #25 or higher reply to this story.

Have you decided to come on board to help fix the problem?

Just say the word [OK] and you can get in here and forge it to your liking.

I am serious. We could use the help balancing this behemoth on the welding rod.

I think I understand your point but not sure we share the same vision of what the site is "about"

Despite our size we do not really get that many quality story submissions.

We can't win for losing. Not too long ago their were complaints that the FP was stagnant. Month old stories with no new comments in a couple weeks, etc.

It kind of comes down to who are we geared towards? New folks? Google? Established builders? Lazy folks who only found us trying to save money on utilities? Who?

The Dans have effectively abandoned the board as far as posting goes. Thats because they are busy with other stuff, I am sure.

Not sure I agree with your vision, but its not about you or me. Its about keeping this resource alive and useful for people who want to build.

Anyway, I guess my final comment [now] is here is your chance to help make it what you think it should be.

Join up and help fix the problem and all that.

Tom

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:40:46 AM by TomW »

luv2weld

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »
I guess I'm like a lot of others. I've never posted a story

about anything that I built because there was no new innovations.

For one thing, I'm not a Diary-type person. I don't need to tell

everyone about everything I did today. WAIT!! Don't blast me yet!!!

I'm saying that was the way I was thinking. Now, after reading Oz's

post and the replies, I can understand the other side of things.

I really thought that another story of a standard 10 footer was

nothing new and didn't rate the space it would take to post it.

The other thing is, no matter what you say on this board, someone

will have to make a snide comment. That's probably why there are

11,000 registered users, but very few that actually post.

OK, I will admit that a lot depends on the frame of mind that

I'm in when I read the post as to whether it comes off as rude or

not. Sometimes we are in a joking, laughing frame of mind, and

sometimes we're not.

I remember what Tom is saying about the FP being stale and needing

to be updated. But he's right about not having a lot to choose from.

So let's ask another question. For those of us who have never posted

our projects, How far back do you want to go to tell about the

things we've built?????? One year, two, five??????

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:09:29 AM by luv2weld »
The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

elt

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 09:13:22 AM »
There's no need to apologize. As I tell my family, "sometimes a Lion has to Roar."

- Ed.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:13:22 AM by elt »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 09:37:22 AM »
I fall into that group for a different reason.  My stuff is all starting to look the same and less interesting, even to me.

Summer slows everything down, even for things like resizing pics or making my next muffin fan windmill.  There just isn't time. (he said while reading fieldlines)

Things overlap too.  I was excited to put up some photos of a few (non working) Peltons I just saw during holiday in Alaska, wife didn't have time to resize them and I don't do it so well.

Then TheCasualTraveler posted his Grandfather's stuff.  I figured I'd wait.

And I can't even find the newer photos in the "insert" list.  They must be there.

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2050/LgPeltons2.JPG

G-
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:37:22 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 10:23:15 AM »
weld;

So let's ask another question. For those of us who have never posted

our projects, How far back do you want to go to tell about the

things we've built?????? One year, two, five??????

Since conception, of course!

But, really, even another cookie cutter typical 10 foot dual rotor post has far more merit than some lazy post asking simple questions on how to reduce their electric bill.

Same for a simple PVC blade stepper motor mill. Its all about doing in my opinion.

Forums are extensions of regular societies, you got your nice folks you got your predators and you got guys like me and Ron.

You got projects to document? Bring em on!

Tom

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:23:15 AM by TomW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »
And TomW, what's the official view on non-wind projects, eg solar, hydro?

(But obviously excluding crack-pot thermodynamically-impossible snake-oil.)

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:16:37 AM by DamonHD »

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 12:20:28 PM »
Damon;

Don't you think the main criteria should be that it is "RE" and "DIY"?

Not as in mining the ore to make steel or mineral to grow solar PV material. But as in "I did this"...

I detest posts about "proposed" big money projects myself. Who cares? Any idiot can go from pillager to "green" over night with enough money.

DIY requires a commitment on a personal level that is central here, I think.

Those are  my personal opinions.

Even hydrogen posts can be topical if the person posting is doing it and not just talking it. Thats the policy DanB stated. I am fine with that, too.

Tom

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:20:28 PM by TomW »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »
Sounds good to me!

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:22:29 PM by DamonHD »