Author Topic: Can I cut solar cells in half to double voltage?  (Read 4669 times)

zmoz

Can I cut solar cells in half to double voltage?
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:34:54 AM »
A couple days ago I posted about making a panel from a bunch of individual solar cells. The cells are rated at .5v, 3 amps. Would it be possible to cut the cells in half, and end up with a 1v, 1.5 amp panel when wired in series?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 02:34:54 AM by (unknown) »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
Re: Can I cut solar cells in half to double voltag
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 05:15:04 AM »

I'm haveing trouble figuring why you want to limit the output from the panel that your making .My only guess is you're tring to match the output to a battery charger or

the needs of a device . The cells were cut with special gear and are prepared and tested with the tinned grid on the face of the cell . you can limit the power out with control circuitry down line . Man the cells are very brittle.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 05:15:04 AM by tecker »

zmoz

Re: Can I cut solar cells in half to double...
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 03:56:38 PM »
I am going to make a few panels...one of which only needs to be about an amp, thus, cutting the cells in half would be useful. Using electronics to do so is inefficient and expensive. I would imagine they would cut (break) pretty easily using a glass cutter.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 03:56:38 PM by zmoz »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 04:17:25 PM »

Tricky the cut some glass and look at the edges the cutter scribe is never going to

do the job . A voltage regulator is a couple of bucks . they are current limiting .

Radio shack lm 317 limits to 1.5 amp the circuit is on the box total cost $7
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 04:17:25 PM by tecker »

zmoz

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 04:49:40 PM »
But I would still need twice the number of cells, so the panel would cost twice as much to make, and it would be much larger than it needs to be.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 04:49:40 PM by zmoz »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 05:46:28 PM »

What voltage are you seeking with a regulated power supply one size fits all or are you wanting to make panels for different locations  or portable.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 05:46:28 PM by tecker »

zmoz

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 10:39:41 PM »
Regardless of what I'm doing with the panels...it's a simple question...will it work or will it not?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 10:39:41 PM by zmoz »

jacquesm

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 11:35:34 PM »
Hi there Zmoz,

Yes, it will work, assuming you manage to keep your cells in one piece and that you do not fry them while you solder the wires on.

I have done this myself (If you want I can scan and post a picture, it was quite a while ago, long before I owned a digital camera). The reason why was a little involved, I wanted to see how far you could push a panel using a solar concentrator, which was quite far. I forgot about one little detail though, solder melts far sooner than Silicon, and to my surprise the wires that connect the little regions that collect the electrons knocked out of their orbits by the inbound photons desoldered themselves. Pretty stupid what ?

As this was a rather expensive panel I decided to go ahead and try to fix it (I assume putting 20 suns in there voided my warranty). The panel was meant for marine (as opposed to house) use, and had METAL backed solar cells. Most of the ones I have seen are glass backed, but the principles remain the same. Some kind of carrier, a bunch of vapour deposited layers and a wiring grid to collect the juice.

This wiring grid is usually silk screened on and covered with a thin layer of tin to protect it from oxidization.

Since tin a major component of solder it is quite easy to solder wire to these strips, but you have to be VERY quick or you will break the bond between the silk screened layer and the semi conductor layer below that.

Also you will have to work VERY clean, no finger prints, and clean your 'split' cells afterwards with a 'good' (as in non-damaging to the cells) solvent to remove any grease.

Then you have to glass cover your cells for mechanical protection and give them some kind of backing.

Cutting the cells is an interesting experience. I used - don't laugh now - a paper cutter, it cuts so fast and clean that the cell is cut in half before it realises what's happening. That's quite easy with metal backed cells. With glass based cells it will be a lot harder. My gut says 'water jet', but that's pretty expensive. Laser might work, and you might
 even be able to do it mechanically.

Hope this helps !

« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 11:35:34 PM by jacquesm »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 01:13:20 AM »

As I say it don't make cents or sense to me .Have at it it's your gig. Why ask if you don't wanta know .

« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 01:13:20 AM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 01:32:50 AM »

As I should have said to begin with I would not cut the cells .The rest of what I was talking about was just  to focus on what you wanted to do .That was ill concieved

and was not answering your Question .

« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 01:32:50 AM by tecker »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 12:59:04 PM »
Maybe, Maybe not. All depends on your skill level and tools as well as the cell construction.

With that attitude you won't get much reliable help, I am certain of that.

Give partial data then get pissy when people try to help by pointing out the variables and pitfalls.

Your welcome now back to some interesting stuff.

T

« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 12:59:04 PM by TomW »

zmoz

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 07:48:18 PM »
Again, it was a very simple yes or no question. I am perfectly capable of finding other ways to get the voltage/amperage I want. If I was looking for other ways to do it, I would have asked. I didn't. ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 07:48:18 PM by zmoz »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 08:15:14 PM »
Yep it is a simple Question
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 08:15:14 PM by tecker »

howsyergout

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 03:16:19 AM »
hi this is my first post so be gentle i can see what your trying to do.

why dont you not cut the panels as such but just the solar cell film ie dont cut the glass on the front but cut the silicon part on the back i would get a stanley knife and a piece of angle steel and score into the backing and break the connection make sure you do it the right way (at 90 degrees tho the take off strips) and then carefully cut the copper take off strips at each end

when you have done that just wire how you like guess you want it in series more v

hope this helps  just another idea
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 03:16:19 AM by howsyergout »