Author Topic: Suggestion for a cheap H2 sensor?  (Read 2443 times)

freeEnergy4me

Suggestion for a cheap H2 sensor?
« on: March 10, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
Right now I have a few solar panels. My home is highly energy efficient. Aside from a washer/dryer and a microwave, most of my lights are 14W and TV's, computers etc are either energy star or smaller LCDs.

So with the 8 solar panels I have, aside from the occasional wash I need to do, I manage to cover my energy expenses.

The issue is, I don't have a huge battery bank. I have 3 deep cycle batteries that I cycle. And the batteries are inside when being charged. So I am a little weary about H2 in the house. The solar panels have a charge controller that keeps them from overcharging. So I am a little confident the H2 content is pretty small if anything.

But since this is inside my home, has anyone found a cheap H2 analyzer/detector so that if there is any H2 I can just open the windows and vent?  And when I mean cheap I mean around $100-200 max.?

Am I playing with fire?  It seems like a pretty safe system I have but it's not as safe as you with the venting systems and giant battery banks.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:33:52 PM by (unknown) »

spinningmagnets

Re: Suggestion for a cheap H2 sensor?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 01:58:38 PM »
http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2008/1/29/95847/3833

a question about outgassing

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/11/24/24232/758

venting my battery box to the living room?

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/9/22/142427/436

Corrosion on negative terminals?

(there is also sulfuric acid vapor along with the H2/O2)

I like Snow Crow's vent set-up. Easy, cheap,

negative pressure in box, no corrosive vapor

passing through fan, no H2 passing through

the sparks of the fan, and draws very few watts.

A small "muffin" fan can be attached so that

it only runs when the battery is charging.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/10/7/51422/5894

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:58:38 PM by spinningmagnets »

freeEnergy4me

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »
Yeah, I was in those conversations. I have one sealed deep cycle battery.

Right now I have panels in windows. So I would have to make some enclosure through the wall of my house which is a bit of work.

Hence the question about the H2 sensor. Apparently no one has consider this option?

I mean if the thing is not outgassing, why bother with a cinderblock enclosure with a fan and a big hole in the side of your house?

I seem to keep asking the same question and getting the same answer (which is not what I'm looking for). Apparently no one seems to know the amount of outgassing that actually occurs. It seems like maximum precautions are taken when they may not even be needed.

A simple H2 sensor could tell a person exactly how much H2 is being outgassed and you could forego the huge structural fortifications to vent the battery. And for me that's a single sealed battery.

I was just curious if anyone has implented this strategy over simply "create a big venting structure".  I'm small potatos, I charge one battery at a time. The venting structure seems like overkill to me.

So again, anyone ever implement an H2 sensor system? Even with a venting system to see how much they are outgassing?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:43:04 PM by freeEnergy4me »

freeEnergy4me

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »
Here's a semi-cheap H2 sensor.

http://www.kebaili.com/pd_khd100.cfm

I guess this is an option for me as I would typically be around when charging the batteries. It also seems like it would be a good option for anyone with a big system....who knows if youre actually venting the H2 or not!!  An alarm would be a nice thing to have.

And it seems like there should be some type of H2 diffuser or chemical substance that would neutralize the H2. Like some type of cat litter that absorbs H2.

H2 is pretty reactive and not uncommon. It seems like their has to be an alternatives to simply venting. And I haven't seen it mentioned here yet.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:58:18 PM by freeEnergy4me »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »
putting a battery bank into the attic

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/10/17/161635/95

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:21:02 PM by wooferhound »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »
Don't you Equalize your batteries ?

plenty of outgassing there.

as the batteries get older they will bubble more

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/11/29/2250/6513

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2005/8/30/214537/428

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:26:19 PM by wooferhound »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »
I am absolutely NOT recommending this in any way, but an exposed platinum catalyst would probably relatively gently 'burn' escaped H2, possibly before it could get to concentrations where it could explode.

But please do not take this as any sort of advice.  I don't know.  Plus it's a rather expensive way to kill yourself in the very likely event that I'm wrong.

(As our children's programmes might have said: "Get your mother to help you with the arc-welding as you might find it difficult.")

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:27:14 PM by DamonHD »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »
You actually answered your own question ;-) It's the kitty litter additive best known for killing the smell.

Use the most widely available and probably cheapest item available to absorb both the H2 and any acid vapours that can be found during equalizing .

Baking Soda;-->>

Baking soda will also answer your question quickly by sight . If there's foam around the baking soda container, there's way too much out gassing. Think Baking Soda and peroxide.

battery acid is neturalized by baking soda as well.

An added plus is that the baking soda will absorb any mositure in the area as well.

When baking soda reacts with H2 or battery vapors, it out gasses C02 which is not burnable , and is actually good for plants in measured doses.

Just for safety sake, I checked with my local Chemistry Professor :-) ( my father-in-law)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bruce S

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:42:41 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

joestue

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 09:02:52 PM »
Baking soda will not react with hydrogen.

Even at 1000+ Celsius, when NaHCO3 will completely dissociate to Na2O + xCO2 + xH2O.

Even if i'm wrong you still have the excess hydrogen competing with Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:02:52 PM by joestue »
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Volvo farmer

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 09:49:14 PM »
I dunno why, but I still like this place.

Eight solar panels, not enough information. Three batteries, not enough information.

H2 in the house? Put batteries in a box and vent the high side out and the low side in, that's the way it is done and has been done for 20 years. If you feel unsafe, vent the thing with a fan. Plenty of online retailers looking to prey upon H2 fears with a fan ventilated enclosure.

Find three verified news stories of people that have blown up their houses because of H2 in solar power installations, with the venting scheme I have described (no fan), and I will send you this beautiful, dark bottle containing 1.75L of Evan Williams to enjoy for yourself at no cost, courtesy of me, including freight.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:49:14 PM by Volvo farmer »
Less bark, more wag.

scottsAI

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 10:15:19 PM »
Hello freeEnergy4me,

How about a $25 sensor? Yes runs on a 9v battery.

Check the data sheet for the home carbon monoxide (CO) tester.

CO detectors detect most any flammable gas, sensitivity is less for H2 than CO typically within 50% so the reading is in the ballpark. Remember if H2 is below 4% (4,000ppm) not a problem, as long as the max is below 4%. Way off the scale for most CO detectors. The CO detectors can trigger an alarm, use this to turn on the fan otherwise leave the fan off. Do not waste the heat.

Mine has a PPM reading.

The reason no body can tell you how much gas is given off when charging is because the amount of gas is dependent on internal battery voltage, charging current, state of charge, temperature, how long since the last equalizing charge and more. In other words, we don't know!-)

FYI

The battery little gassing until state of charge is above 80%. Still little gassing up to 90% or so. To charge above this is an equalizing charge with much gassing. Sealed lead acid batteries prevent this by never charging above 14.2 volts or so (14v for some).

Finishing charge - the battery voltage is high, current is limited to keep the gassing from going crazy. Most of the current is going into gas production. Finishing charge is not done frequently, added to the tail end of an equalizing charge, most don't even talk about it, may even consider it part of an equalizing charge.

Very important to make sure the battery is kept watered. (Flooded cell types!-)

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:15:19 PM by scottsAI »

freeEnergy4me

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 09:52:07 PM »
Thanx, I have a CO detector, so not even $25!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 09:52:07 PM by freeEnergy4me »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 03:07:12 PM »
Thanks for catching the "stupid" didn't read my own pre-post post.

The baking soda will help neturalize the acid leaving the H2.

Bad Bruce S, bad Bruce S

Going to the corner of the school room now :-()

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 03:07:12 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard