Author Topic: keeping batteries warm  (Read 1275 times)

random

keeping batteries warm
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »
The batteries are in an uninsulated shed, which is better, insulate the entire shed or build an insulated battery box?  Other?  Tipes and techniques?  No-no's?  This winter our low temp was around -5F, it's killer on batteries.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:36:22 AM by (unknown) »

scottsAI

Re: keeping batteries warm
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:33:58 AM »
random,

Depends on your objectives.

Insulating whole structure will cost more then insulating battery box.

With battery on the ground, insulate battery box and jointing flat area (3ft, frost area), should keep your battery above freezing. 1 inch foam. If battery box outside then thicker insulation may be needed.

A lot will depend on how much heat your battery produces. Once insulated then venting is important to keep it cool when hot etc. many things to consider.

With freestanding battery, heat may be needed. Normally charging / discharging warms up the battery.

Seal it up too tight during a charge/discharge battery may very well over heat.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:33:58 AM by scottsAI »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 10:12:53 AM »
I don't know how many batteries you have? I don't have many and I keep mine in a Ice Chest.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:12:53 AM by wooferhound »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 05:28:03 PM »
Woof - that reminds me of the Russian comic who said if he wanted to keep something from freezing he would put it in the refrigerator, because "Is only thing in apartment that doesn't get cold."

Indoors away from sleeping quarters is probably a safe place, too.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:28:03 PM by dnix71 »

WineGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:27:46 PM »
I was thinking about the same problem: moving the batteries from the cabin to the shed.

One thought I had was to use an old refrigerator for the battery box, but connect up a solar collector and two air tubes to the outside of the shed. During day the natural convection should heat the batteries. The thermal mass of the batteries and the insulation of the refrigerator should keep them "warmer" at night.

You will have to remove the tube or the panel during warm weather so the batteries do not overheat.

Just a thought.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:27:46 PM by WineGuy »