Author Topic: Windmill advice  (Read 1141 times)

VW cat

Windmill advice
« on: December 23, 2004, 09:26:42 AM »
I'm a new member and reached a point in my windmill construction where I need some advice, especially electrical. I have built a tower about 36'high that pivots at a 23' platform. Below this are 4- 3"x 6" pieces of rectangular tubing attached to a base of 3/8"plate 8'x 8'. On the 30" platform is a 1 1/2"shaft on bearings which goes through a pipe 7" x 3/8" x 14'. A cable allows counterweighing the pipe to make it balance with whatever is on top. I suspect someone will want a pic of this to see what I'm trying to describe. I have been given 3 motors that are 6"x6"x10" and are Allen Bradley I think.I was told they are permanent magnet, would produce 1KW each and produce 3 phase power at pins 1,2,&3.These are used for variable speed drives that can home.I was hoping to heat water with this since a control system would be difficult for me to figure out. So my question's are: 1)are one of these motors practical to use? 2)can I tie 2 together somehow? 3) do I need a transmission like off a Rabbit car? 4)should I pursue a larger generator for such a big tower? 5)Will a blade made of 1"x 4" boards glued together, shown in a recent thread, work or should I carve my own. I'm concerned here about  a blade flying off......I can light a 100watt bulb with one of these by spinning the shaft with vice grips. Thanks in advance.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 09:26:42 AM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: Windmill advice
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 04:39:02 AM »
  Sounds like you have a really sturdy tower....maybe even a stand alone if it has a solid concrete base.

One step at a time here, you're taking too many/big bites. Let's start with the motor/s, you need a way to turn them over at low rpm and test what each lead is producing and how to hook them up....which someone/s on the board will tell you.

This should be your only concern right now.

Actually a lot more detail is needed about the motor/s they should have maybe a nameplate that gives some of their specifications?? Are they stepper motors?? Brushless??

If indeed you can heat water with one of these I would, after I determined if one of them could produce useable power at about 350 rpm...given that you have a prop and wind to spin it this fast, secondly hook it up to a small gas engine that could turn it at this speed. Then heat up some water.

Have Fun while you're doing it, work safely...wishing you a lot of luck and sucess!

( :>) Norm    

« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 04:39:02 AM by Norm »

VW cat

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 09:12:04 AM »
I have the info off the servo motor: Max speed 3200; max cont output power 2.44 kw; max rms amps 6.09; max cont stall torque 10.4/92; Cat # 1326AB-B515E-21, part #1553232, series C. Thanks for the advice Norm, I'm pretty green on this stuff.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 09:12:04 AM by VW cat »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 05:47:55 PM »
  Okay I'm pretty green myself.. on these motors anyway, so it's like the blind leading the blind and until someone comes along that knows all about these motors maybe you can figure out if this is a brushless motor or not I'll dare to assume you can take one of them far enough apart to see if it has brushes or not...from your description about the leads it sounds like it is brushless.

In the meantime while you are waiting for answers do a google search on how servo motors work as variable speed drives.

Gotta go now reaching my wife's limit of patience.

Later...

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 05:47:55 PM by Norm »