Author Topic: 40ft scafold pole tripod with tilt up mast  (Read 8317 times)

satmanuk

40ft scafold pole tripod with tilt up mast
« on: January 14, 2007, 10:06:24 PM »
not seen much info on scafolding being used to construct tripod towers, so thought i would build one for my 10ft turbine with a center tuilt up mast specifically designed to be raised and lowered by a single person (me : -)

the total tower height is just over 40ft, the tripod section is 31ft, with the centre mast extending a further 9 ish ft above the tripod.

each of the 3 legs are buried 5 & 1/2 foot deep with 1/3 of a ton of concrete in each hole. the holes are about 2 foot round give or take a foot here and there : -) eah leg also has a reinforcing bar attached, and the lower part of the first latice goes in each hole... thats why theres 3 poles in each hole, we also filed the holed with steel mesh and scrap

3 cross sections and one lattice piece need to be removed when raising and lowering the centre mast. the mast is hinged with 2 scafold swivel joints at about 6ft above ground level, all joints are scafolding joints, so its easy to remove pieces of the tower when ever its needed.

about 5-6ft down from the turbine head are some guy attachments, they werent really needed, but added just in case, just below the guys the mast is doubled up with another scafold pole (this was an addition to stop some vibrations), the main 5mm winch cable and backup rope also attach at this point.

during the preperation we supported the turbine head with an old barrel

although the tower was specifically designed to be operated by a single person, i had some help over just to make sure for the first few raisings... my m8 gary tentively puts his head under a ton of mast and turbine.. he's brave

so far so good

nearly half way up

even more... wont be long now : -)

getting there....

nearly.. at this point there is no more load on the winch, the tower is takinjg all the strain... there is a receiving clamp ready for the mast.

raising the mast only took about 2 minutes, mainly due to the gearing on the winch... it was slowwwwwwwww.... we then secured the mast to the tripod in its clamps.... there are 3 clamps each located on cross setions of the tower

we are working at about 30ft, i made steps up one of the tower legs, so its wasnt too much trouble, its pretty stable up there even in high winds. a bit scary sometimes though...

all up and done, the total time it took including replacing the side sections of tower we had to remove so the mast can be raised was only about 15 minutes.

found some household mains board brass blocks, which came in handy for wiring the 25mm welding cable that comes down the mast, to the 18mm cable that runs to the batter room (only about 5 feet away)

all that was left now was to wire it into the NCHC mercury switch controller

the battery room is an old animal shed attached to the end of my workshop, the previous residents run the place as a farm, so it came in handy, they also left an old chest freezer here, which made a perfect box for the batteries, water tight, and insulated from the cold weather.

the battries are 4x 200amp hour dynasty ups batteries.. wired in series and paralell for 24v... we run a large ups at work for the servers, and replace them every 4 or 5 years, they had only ever been used twice in power outages, but i expect the ups units regular discharge testing of the batteries over 5 years has probably killed 1/2 of their life span, but they were free so who cares : -) good job, these things are like $200 each + shipping

the dump load is another old thing the previous resident left round, its an old heating brick, what he used it for god knows, but had to shorten the length a little to get the right resistance. its only tempoarary until my imersion element arives

last but not least,, the dog enjoyed himself today, lots of activity : -)

the turbine is just sitting above the conifer tree tops, but they are creating a little turbulence in the air, so they will be trimmed down a little next weekend, also need to paint the whole tower yet(green), but so far so good, there is no noticable wind outside at the moment, but at 40ft its spining nicely and charging the bank with a few amps.

also here is my 200W solar aray, with a tracker, its currently disconnected today while we moved the batteries to the new room next to the turbine.

as an over all conclusion, if i did another tower i would probably buy a pre made one, the scafolding and joints were free, (used about 70 joints) so not complaining, but it was a lot of work, building the turbine only took a few weeks in total, but building the tower took far longer and much more effort (and out in the cold weather), its certainly stronger, my neighbour, whos a building structural engineer site forman, rekons it wil never fall over... only time will tell i spose..

regards

satmanuk

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 10:06:24 PM by (unknown) »

satmanuk

Re: 40ft scafold pole tripod with tilt up mast
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »
more on the controller...

the charge controller is a direct divert contactor, it diverts the turbine directly to the dump load without connecting the battery to the dump load, they aren't cheap, but cheaper than buying two trace C60's to do the same job... the switches are mercury filled, so no burnt out relays here : -)

unfortunately there is no manual control on the charger to energise the divert relay, which would have been nice, it would have reduce the need for a seperate manual divert contactor for testing or emergency diverts.

satman

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:22:31 PM by satmanuk »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »
Nice article, very informative and some good pictures too.

What is the output of the wind gen?

How big are your solar panels? They look massive from the picture.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:43:24 PM by AbyssUnderground »

satmanuk

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 04:11:34 PM »

i will post some more detailed closeup pics of the tower & jpints et in a few days, its dark outside now : -)

the genny is one designed from hughs 10ft instructions, so 1000w in good winds i spose... its producing about 150W now, and i cant even feel a breeze outside.. i'm at ground level though.

the solar panels over all size is about 2 square meters, they are mounted on an old Horizon to Horizon satelite dish mount, designed to hold a 3M dish, so should take the load ok

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:11:34 PM by satmanuk »

cdog

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
Great job!

Just have one question, and I am new at this so here goes. According to my simple math why wouldnt a single c-60 do the job? Any other benefits of the controller you used over a trace or morningstar would also be very helpfull, thanks,

Cdog.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:02:00 PM by cdog »

Don Cackleberrycreations

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 06:10:41 PM »
I like the tripod design  I do how ever have one question  a Ive been working on a simular design . Why didnt you make a telescoping central mast . It could be raised in much the same manner as a sheetrock jack  and locked into position . It would allow you to gain around 25 more ft
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 06:10:41 PM by Don Cackleberrycreations »

dudevato

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 08:51:46 PM »
Great reading, I enjoyed it and all the pics. I think your batteries are sealed so I don't know if this applies to you but maybe you are wanting the freezer to be vented to release 'fumes'  That has got to be the perfect place for batteries. Thanks for all the effort taking those pics!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 08:51:46 PM by dudevato »

richhagen

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 11:34:45 PM »
Nice article, interesting tower, and good resourcefulness.  I realize its only temporary, but will the heat from the diversion element damage the wiring and contacts?  How are the, well they look like Unisolar US-64's doing.  Things look to be a slight bit different in terms of plants and building styles than around where I am at (Chicago).  What part of the World are you in?  Anyway, it is a great post and a good read.  Thanks and hope your mill brings you many kilowatt hours.  Rich
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:34:45 PM by richhagen »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

coldspot

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 12:22:16 AM »
Super Nice post very good info about the build and set-up!

Hum,....  Freezer, very nice, would need a small venting system. Thanks, now I got to go find me one, lol! (with six, 6 V deep cycles, three 12 V marine/rv deep cycles and 50 Edison cells I might want more than just one, Hum,......)

Glad to finally see another "FlexCharger" out there!

I only have the NC25A-12 less any divert switchs, but, I'm only into it about $45. so far.

Heck the shunt kit I just got and am about done with was $30

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:22:16 AM by coldspot »
$0.02

satmanuk

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 01:58:44 AM »
@ don ....simple answer,,, the safolding was salvaged from my next door neighbour at no cost, preusmably telescoping would require different diameter poles for the sliding, all the scafolding was 2inch... i did consider such an idea, but the materials werent available... also since each tripod leg is 2 meters apart at ground level (for load reasons) the turbine could not be lowered telecopically down a center fixed mast with the blade on, well not without removing nearly all the cross members and supports

satman

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:58:44 AM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 02:13:49 AM »
when you have wind and solar charging the same bank afaik the trace series can only run in one mode at a time, so to get the advanced charging functions and divert, you would need two trace units to replicate the flexcharges ability to switch the wind turbine into the dumpload rather than just siphon aditional power away from the battery, i also believe dump load selection is critical on battery health when you have a controller that siphons away from the bank to divert...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 02:13:49 AM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 03:38:25 AM »
the freezer isnt vented yet.. the batt's are sealed maintenance free, designed to be enclosed in an air-tight room, wouldnt want your server room blowing up when theres a little spark : -)

i will be adding some more batt's later, so will probably add a vent at that time...

my missus took the pics, so she deserves the thanks.

satman

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:38:25 AM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 03:46:42 AM »
i'm in the UK, in the fenlands... several hundred sqare miles of land was drained here with wind power for farming a few hundred years ago... so plenty of reliable wind around..

yes they are uni-solar panels, they aren't that old so still kicking out watts above their rated power, but slowly dropping off,,, just like the manual said.. sniffle : -(
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:46:42 AM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 03:51:03 AM »
the flexcharge are nice controllers, the 24V 60 amp comes in at around 300 US$, but i like the direct divert feature instead of dumping from the batteries and the turbine at the same time....

satman

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:51:03 AM by satmanuk »

fungus

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 08:53:19 AM »
Looks pretty nice! Good to see your mill up and running and some pics of the panels too :-)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 08:53:19 AM by fungus »

satmanuk

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 01:12:10 PM »
more pics of the rest of the system...

more work on the main board... not much left to do now, the Steca PR2020 will be used for the solar input when they are moved... but for now its just being used as charge meter.

the battery bank is 20 Meters away from the house, so 24V is transported by 16 Sqmm cable(didnt need to be that heavy but minimises the losses) incase your wondering the bulk of the cable i used is 16 SQmm earthing cable (yellow & green) the main reason was price, its an identical grade of cable to the normal coloured stuff (brown, Black, Red etc), even checked with the manufacturer but its 20% cheaper !!!! weird....

the little box here is a DC-DC inverter located at the house, to drop the 24V to 12V

it doesnt photo very well cos of the glossy label.

here is one of my distribution boxes with a relay board, all the loads on the 12V system are controlled automatically.

here is one of the input control boxes, this box takes input triggers from devices like PIR's

heres one of the PIR's

heres the heart of the system, my Ocelot, its a serial programable ladder logic controler, with IR input/output, RElay input/output , X10 etc etc

each room has coresponding programmed code in the controller for ocupancy functions, motion activated lights, and manual load control etc etc, this type of system ensures lights dont get left on acidentally and drain precious energy... its also lazy, very rarely touch a light switch these days...

one of my 12V steca compact flourecent lamps... whats the point of generating low voltage RE, then inverting it to mains voltage... run everything on 12V : -)

enjoy .... satman

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:12:10 PM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 01:22:04 PM »
yeh,, the system is coming together nicely, need more batteries though, theres a bit of a breeze tonight, and the mill has charged the batteries in about an hour, i'm also using about 250 - 300W in the house at the mo, and the controller is still diverting to the dump load, the battery room is now warmer than the house : -)

satman

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:22:04 PM by satmanuk »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Very cool I'm impressed .And I was just bad mouthing IT guys I take it all back.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:35:47 PM by tecker »

cdog

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 05:47:16 PM »
Thanks for your response it was very helpfull. However, as you likely know, the more you learn the more you hope to learn. I was thinking that one could have many diffrent sources charging the battery and a trace or morningstar would divert only enough power to the dump load to keep from overcharging the batteries. Also by doing this the batteries in theory would not be cycled and kept at a good float charge? I am in no way arguing with you, just hungry for info. This is only what I have read and I have no firsthand experience at all. I have not purchased a controller yet so any info from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated!

Great looking post, and thanks again,

Cdog.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:47:16 PM by cdog »

Jimmer

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »
Great post!! Like the pictures and your reuse of existing materials.

Might want to move you diversion load to the house and warm it up a bit or possibly an air duct to move some warm air over.

Like to hear and see more on your turbine.  

Great job!!

Jimmer

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:20:49 PM by Jimmer »

satmanuk

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 01:15:35 PM »
more work on the main board...

had this 45amp breaker laying around, so thought it would go nicely as a shutdwon breaker, but me thinks it needs modifying first : -)

its a double pole breaker, but both poles are broken or closed at the same time, this certainly wont do, so out comes the drill, these breakers have anoying factory riveted fixings, we do really live in a throw away society these days... but a few seconds of careful drilling, and the case is open...

ive only opened one of the breakers(its a double unit), the rocker switch needs reversing, so when one breaker is open the other is closed.

a few carefully placed dabs of super glue holds the breaker unit back together.

the breaker has a little metal cover that clips over the rocker switch ends, to ensure both switches are flipped together, this will still be useful to prevent acidental short's on the battery bank. so it was put back after i was finished.

on one side both breaker starts are wired to the + in from the turbine (at the top)

one breaker output goes to the charge controller, and the other loops back to ground. (at the bottom) the earth block in the breaker housing made a nice ground block.

a word of caution, i would NOT want to brake (short) the turbine at high RPM with this breaker, the contacts would probably burn out, so in emergencies i would stall the turbine on low resistance divert load specifically for braking before closing the breaker brake switch.

now with some fuses added etc, the board looks like this

also if your interested the schematic of the system has evolved to this

enjoy

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:15:35 PM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 01:25:19 PM »
yeh.. some IT guys are lazy gits... but i like to be inventive with my spare time... and its allways fun to find ways to beat the system : -)

satman

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:25:19 PM by satmanuk »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 01:28:14 PM »
It's nice to see a high quality 12V CFL!

Just curious.  Did you "learn your lesson", or start with that kind?

G-
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:28:14 PM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

satmanuk

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 01:30:57 PM »
afaik some of the advanced charging functions (PWM etc) of those controllers need the controller to be able to disconnect and reconnect the charging source from the batteries, especially with solar... when the trace series etc are in divert mode, the switching capability of the controller is used to connect and disconnect the dump load, therefore the charging source has to be diretly connected to the battery.. there are several websites with this described, even some sites that sell the trace series etc say if you want to do this this and this, you will need to buy two of the units.

hope this help... also if someone knows different feel free to correct me.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:30:57 PM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 01:53:51 PM »
FYI, ive been adding aditional pictures at the top of the thread....
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:53:51 PM by satmanuk »

satmanuk

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »
i had a few LED samples, and a sample cold cathode lamp... but didnt buy them,, blagged them.... i never bothered with incandecent, just went straight for the 12V CFL's, ordered a box of 10 of them.

satty

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:49:41 PM by satmanuk »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 06:09:23 PM »
 Looks like your on top of that Basic input output system . I like the tower I 'm doing somthing similar with 2"emt the tilt is a little different . The guys are a big clutter . I 'm hoping to consolidate with a large mill and solar .I can't get rid of the jewell that keeps my boxes up . Good stuff
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:09:23 PM by tecker »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 12:22:26 PM »
Love the bit of "reverse engineering" on the breaker.  Something to bear in mind when a cheap transfer switch is needed!  Great photos and what a well-organized layout.  Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 12:22:26 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca