Author Topic: Wind Generators available in U.K DIY stores  (Read 3773 times)

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
Wind Generators available in U.K DIY stores
« on: September 29, 2006, 12:48:33 PM »

A major U.K DIY chain store B&Q are 'replying to customer demand' and supplying a 1Kw wind generator for roof mounting. £1498 ($2,796 U.S.D)

http://tinyurl.com/k7bho

More details on the generature here.

http://www.windsave.com/

My fears are that people will be misold or forced to buy through clever marketing, and playing on fears of global warming and rising fuel prices.

I think I am correct in saying that roof mounted wind generators are not the best.

Even Hugh Piggot's website states: 'Rooftop wind turbines are a load of nonsense'

I would like to put a precautionary warning on my website, stating the truth of such installations, such as vibrations to structures, and the true power that could be achieved at lower heights and in built up areas.

My 100w generator only produces 20% power at best in my urban location!!

Any help and advice welcomed.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 12:48:33 PM by (unknown) »

Marco

Re: Wind Generators available in U.K DIY stores
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 08:20:39 AM »
I contacted windsave to ask if they would sell 'Just the box' as no other product exists like it. They said No!

Point is that although claims about the power available are grossly overstated, especially in urban areas, the magic box that goes with it is a great idea.:

no need to mess with the fuse box, grid tied permission etc.. - just plug it in and go!

How many turbine builders out there would forgo batteries and/or the complexities of being grid tied if all you had to do was plug the turbine into the box and plug the box into the wall - no permissions required - just use like an appliance.?

More to the point - what is the Box? - I have posted this question before and no-one could answer it! (no mumblings about grid tied inverters! Yes of course this is an integral part of the electronics, but what else is in there?!!)

Marco.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:20:39 AM by Marco »

Countryboy

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:02:36 AM »

1. 75 meter blade diameter
  2. Kw @ 12.5 m/s windspeed

I smell a rat.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 11:02:36 AM by Countryboy »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 11:08:14 AM »
I think the grid tie inverter has a reasonable attempt at mppt.

What they claim is possible. I would like to see figures to prove it.

They are far from honest about their other claims so the rat might be a bit smelly.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 11:08:14 AM by Flux »

Marco

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 11:17:03 AM »
There are no rats there - the power curve seems close to betz limit which is

conceivably possible, given that these moulded blades will be aerodynamically optimised using computer modelling.

However the rats are in the AIR here as many sites including

roof tops can suffer horribly from local turbulance, especially

if it is in a built up area. See Hugh pigots analysis/investigation into average

urban wind speed at a selected city site:

http://www.scoraigwind.com/citywinds/index.htm

The company is genuine, and i'm sure in a good area with low turbulence

and open aspect these 6ft turbines would do wonderfully (and benefit from

a higher tower height).

Marco.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 11:17:03 AM by Marco »

gotwind2

• ben[at]gotwind.org
    • Gotwind - The Renewable Energy Resource
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:20:38 AM »
Do you think I will get screwed by either windsave or B&Q for publishing this?

http://www.gotwind.org/index.htm

Or is it freedom of speech? - I can easily take it down.

The image isn't mine so I suppose that is copyrighted, and can be changed.

Thanks

Ben

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 11:20:38 AM by gotwind2 »

fungus

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 02:24:12 PM »
I also agree that their turbine's power claims are unrealistic. "Up to" is a very large insurance for them. I also find it ironic that in a DIY store they will be selling wind turbines that MUST-MUST be installed by "accredited installers" and they will not sell any part of it alone so they could even be put on a high tower for non-turbulant air.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 02:24:12 PM by fungus »

CG

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 03:11:15 AM »
The Windsave is a use-it-or-lose-it system; if you are not drawing power when the turbine is generating power the electricity being generated will be dumped on the grid for free (Q23 in Windsave's FAQs). And because the grid is used as a dump, in the event of a power cut (the time when you most would want your own generating system) the turbine is closed down for safety reasons.

As I pointed out in my posting of this turbine a while back, this is not net metering. In fact net metering is the last thing Windsave is interested in. I would also like to point out that one of their employees is an ex energy minister from this Labour government and could have used his position of power to advance and simplify net metering in the UK but did not.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 03:11:15 AM by CG »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 03:32:51 AM »
Depends on what type of meter you have. If you are lucky enough to have an older induction meter it will run backwards if you don't use power.

If you are unlucky and have a modern electronic thing then it will not count back, then it becomes only an energy saver and if you use nothing then it feeds the grid free as you say.

I wondered how they could pull off a scam like this without a politician being involved, at least you have answered that point.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 03:32:51 AM by Flux »

Marco

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 05:13:21 AM »
Scam or not i have heard no-one deny the usefulness of the Box they sell with their system. I would love something like that!!

Fair point that your house does not always draw power --- But you could make it!

charge batterires or heat water.....anything while you are out and not using power.

Marco.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 05:13:21 AM by Marco »

fungus

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 05:27:51 AM »
Well I would like the generator itself and the kit as long as I could put it on a high tower. Windsave have to have their wind generators installed and mounted by "trained professionals" and they will not sell any part of it alone or even the whole thing without it being installed by so called "accredited installers".
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 05:27:51 AM by fungus »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 06:23:04 AM »
Wouldn't we all like the box. You are not likely to get one at a reasonable price until someone can see a way of recovering the cost of the approvals that it needs.

Your best chance at present is the WindyBoy from SMA, but it is not exactly cheap.

Windsave's box is probably a fair part of the cost of their system and it will be designed to match their alternator. I see no chance of them selling it on its own.

I really can't see anyone going to the trouble of obtaining the necessary approval for a grid tie inverter and then sell it to someone who may kill it or cause trouble with and then have to stand the hassle of sorting the mess out.

They will either design the whole system or sell for approved turbines that they know it will work with.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 06:23:04 AM by Flux »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 05:49:32 AM »
You would have to know what your doing to install on a roof of a new structure and a master to install on an old structure . What's the point of a wind device that takes alittle off the electric bill and cost you a big chuck to fix a roof problem in a couple of years . So just numbers wise 2k to get it probably 300 to 1000 to get it up the return can be good only in strong weather . You have to go back to batts and low voltage  to really take advantage of an urban install . Charge all day use it up in the evening . The only thing that gives this unit a mark on the plus side is the electric  

heating in strong winter conditions . Set in on a pole though close to the house and guy to the house and take you chances .
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 05:49:32 AM by tecker »

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 05:56:26 AM »
A general rule of thumb is that any time you get suites smilling in public about technology the general public is over a barrel and is taking one for the team.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 05:56:26 AM by tecker »

CG

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 02:51:48 AM »
Flux

It is elegal in the UK to run meters back, no matter what kind you have. You must have two meters, one in and one out. Our politicans here have not got around to debating the legal aspects of winding the meter back. Brian Wilson, the ex energy minister who now works for Windsave, did nothing to change this while he was in power. Renewable energy is used by politicos here to get the green lobby vote, and that is all they are interested in.

After I made my posting on Saturday I bought a copy of the London Times. In the finacial section there was a report on micro generation including roof top wind turbines, it was not favourable to their use. The truth is coming out now about the drawbacks of this type of wind turbine, through boards like this one and sites like Hugh Piggott's. I hope between us we can save some poor devils from wasting their money.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 02:51:48 AM by CG »