Author Topic: Zephyrus Induction Wind Generator  (Read 3987 times)

Bigwheel

Zephyrus Induction Wind Generator
« on: April 18, 2007, 08:30:19 PM »
I picked up a copy of the construction manual and blue print for one of these up wind turbines.  The research I've done, concludes it's a close clone of the Enertech 1500/1800 turbine.  I felt that it would be a nice compliment to the hybrid system I'm working on.  Hate to spend the money on components and have it come up short on it's performance specs.  I'm pushing for a batteryless system and thought this would be the best choice/challenge than buying one.  The fab end of the project would be a walk in the park for me, BUT the electrical end is going to be the challenge.  I feel there may be a few items left out of the manual. Best ask the experts here for input.  Question,  The unit calls out for a parker hannifin hydro brake,  where to find one is up for discussion.  I'm woundering if I can use an electromagnetic brake on this unit.  Or is there some bigger purpose of using a hydraulic brake.  Suppose the unit is running near the critical max speed, do these units come to a hault or slow down slowly.  Which one works the best and lasts the longest??  I anyone would like more info on this unit, just ask.  I'll be more than happy to share the info.  Lords knows I gotten alot of info from everyone on the boards.  Thanks again for your input and views.  

Chad

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:30:19 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: Zephyrus Induction Wind Generator
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 02:52:37 PM »
Chad,

I've never seen a 'Zephyrus Induction Wind Generator' or a set of plans. I've never seen its' parents. I doubt many here have. Without a LOT more information I feel there are few here who could help.

Good Luck,

Ron

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 02:52:37 PM by wdyasq »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Bigwheel

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 03:05:01 PM »
Hi again,

I came across these plans online somehow.  Take a look at:www.prismz.com/windpower/

They show some of the specs on the homepage.  Take a look and let me know what you think.

Voltage output:115v

max line voltage:135v

min voltage @ machine:110v

max current generated:26amps

start up:8mph

shut down:45mph

survival speed:100mph

rotor dia.:13 feet

recomended tower height:60+ feet

Hope this helps

chad

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 03:05:01 PM by Bigwheel »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 03:34:33 PM »
Chad;

Well, I checked that site and, near as I can tell, you buy and you hope its worthwhile. I would say forget paying for an untested design and follow one of the many many plans available here.

Besides, no utility is ever going to let you hook that up grid tie without lots of paperwork the diy guy does not have. That seems to be what they are hinting at since the voltage is too high for the average battery system.

Save your money and put some effort into reading and you don't need to pay for a pile of paper that likely contains information that can be had free. All it really is is an offer to sell you a pile of paper. I did not see any real info or photos of some that are built and in use.

Its your money but I say run and clasp your wallet tightly.

The rip off artists are out in force in the RE field and you need to think long and hard before dumping cash into a pile of unproven designs that may require tools and skills you will likely not have.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 03:34:33 PM by TomW »

thyristor

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 04:21:34 PM »
I fully agree! Rather take time, use your money wisely and start building your own!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 04:21:34 PM by thyristor »

thefinis

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:37:40 AM »
http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2006/7/2/8853/36057

Pretty good thread on induction/grid tie. It may not answer your questions but is still a good read if you are wanting to go that direction.

The brake system you mention was probably used instead of electric braking because of the chance of loss of braking/electricity in storms, power outages or during work on turbine.

Finis

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:37:40 AM by thefinis »

thefinis

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:16:43 AM »
I did a search and could only find Zephyrus wind generator plans or order forms or this discussion with google. Their price estimate for construction seems way off for a 60 ft tower and a 2 kw generator. The best wind induction generator setup with working units including customer units(few but some out there) I have seen is the Breezy 5.5 It has been discussed here several times so a quick search of the site should turn up some threads.

Good luck

Finis

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:16:43 AM by thefinis »

Bigwheel

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 04:17:53 PM »
Blade making pics.  Sorry to the board about the large picture size.  Just found your new policy on this.  If any one would like the pics just send me an email and I will forward them on to ya.  Have yet to figure out how to get them smaller.

Chad

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 04:17:53 PM by Bigwheel »

neilho

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 06:00:14 AM »
The Zephyrus is just a copy of the Enertech 1800, from the looks of the webpage.

Quote:

Question,  The unit calls out for a parker hannifin hydro brake,  where to find one is up for discussion.  I'm woundering if I can use an electromagnetic brake on this unit.  Or is there some bigger purpose of using a hydraulic brake.  Suppose the unit is running near the critical max speed, do these units come to a hault or slow down slowly.  Which on(e works the best and lasts the longest??

End quote

The Parker Hannifin brake, as used, is now obsolete (meaning expensive) and not well supported by Parker.

Enertech started out with the 1500. It originally had an off the shelf electromechanical brake, (A Reliance 15 ft-lb) and they then went to a hydraulic brake, which was then retrofitted to most 1500s and continued as the 1800. The problem with the electromechanical brake was that it would sometimes not stop the machine in a highwind shutdown or a utility outage during hi winds. Prolonged overspeed= catastrophe= bad for business. Increasing the torque rating of the brake just resulted in a larger torque spike on normal shutdown and wrecked the gearboxes. Hence the hydraulic brake. It's a gearpump circulating fluid in an open loop during normal run. On shutdown (loss of power) a solenoid valve closes the loop and the pump pumps against a pressure relief valve, which is adjustable for stopping power and length of stop. Very reliable soft stops so long as the system doesn't leak.

You can certainly get an electromagnetic disc brake that will bolt onto the generator. If you do, go with a minimum 20 ft-lbs rating, cross your fingers in hi winds and plan to replace the gearbox every few years. Stearns and Ding's Dynamics are a couple sources. There are probably others.  

1800s aren't too expensive- probably way cheaper than trying to build your own, especially if you can get a tower with it.

So far as the electrical end, it's also pretty simple in concept. The anemometer sends a signal to the control board and when the wind average gets hi enough (usually 13mph), the machine is switched on.When the average wind drops to some preset value (usually 9mph) the machine turns off. There is also a hiwind shutdown (usually 40mph) for overspeed protection. (I have a few of these boards...)

There is some resistance at the utility level to having one of these on their line, but there have been 1000-1500 small Enertechs and quite a few other brands connected since 1980 or so. There aren't any significant interconnect problems. The federal PURPA act of 1978 mandates interconnects, but utilities can make it a miserable haul if they like. Check your state's utility regulations and also to see if it has net metering.

Neil

« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 06:00:14 AM by neilho »