Author Topic: Where there's a wheel there's a way  (Read 2151 times)

CG

Where there's a wheel there's a way
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:19:27 AM »
Just in case you may have missed this. It is the first application of this storage system to wind power.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=123367&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1136466&highlig

ht=

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 09:19:27 AM by (unknown) »

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
Re: Where there's a wheel there's a way
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »
There's some RE 'SPAM' for you. For the last seven years Enercon could has made a vacuum sealed flywheel make-up power unit for any grid or stand-alone power generation system using easily repairable subsystems. (http://www.enercon.de/en/_home.htm)

"In the year 2000 ENERCON decided to develop an energy storage system specially

suited to compensate wind power fluctuations... ...Rated power 200 kW with total Energy storage capacity 5 kWh... ...The ENERCON flywheel comes in a standard 20ft sea container convenient to transport and ready for connection to the grid..."

(Photos borrwed from ENERCON web site)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:12:08 PM by DanG »

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »
Hi CG

With help on IRC i now understand where your going with this.Thanks Dang and Ross

Kinda like the thoughts i have for the wheel to help keep the turbine spinning during lulls and keep from spinnin like crazy during gusts.Can't wait to see how it reacts.

Mark

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:06:34 PM by vawtman »

CG

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 02:52:14 AM »
vawtman,

I have kept an eye on Beaconpower for a couple of years now, I think it is one of the more interesting things coming out of the US in regards to storage. There doesn't seem to be much reporting of it there, though, and here in the UK it isn't mentioned at all. But if if works it could do us all a favour, as leveling out the grid is quite important, and working on the priciple of "a penny saved is a penny earned" we could cut our use of fossil fuels.

They also have smaller flywheels, which might be useful for off-grid storage, but I think they would be very expensive.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:52:14 AM by CG »