Author Topic: You think you have blade problems  (Read 3330 times)

Perry1

You think you have blade problems
« on: July 13, 2009, 04:42:02 AM »
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum. I have been reading for a while and I think it is great. I am amazed at the inginuity and technical knowledge that I see demonstrated here. My story might be different than most. I work as a development engineer for one of those big guy companies working in wind. The first turbine I built puts out 1.5 megawatts and I am now working my way up to a 100 watt Ametek 30V model :)  Actually I bought the book and I am working on a 10 footer now. No real need for the power or living off grid. I just think they are great machines and can drink a 6 pack and watch them run for hours.

Thought some of you might be interested in seeing what I have to deal with when a blade needs some work during my 'day job'

Perry

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:42:02 AM by (unknown) »

boB

• boB
Re: You think you have blade problems
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:15:16 PM »
I think it's great to get another perspective on all of this !

Ironically, on a recent engineering road trip from one small wind installation to another, I got "stuck" behind a truck carrying a large blade !

Welcome !

boB

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:15:16 PM by boB »

boB

• boB
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:16:17 PM »
Here's what I got stuck behind...

boB

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:16:17 PM by boB »

halfcrazy

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:12:47 AM »
Can we use that turbine to charge our battery's? I think boB can build me a controller.

Seriously though that staging going around the blade is way cool.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:12:47 AM by halfcrazy »

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:16:18 AM »
Hahaha Do you think they'd notice if one just 'came up missing'? LMAO
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:16:18 AM by Madscientist267 »
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »
Welcome to the board Perry.

Nice pictures... what's the max wind speed they allow for working off that scaffolding?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:23:47 AM by zap »

zap

• There's an app for that
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:25:06 AM »
One???

Just think what the counter-weights would need to be. :)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:25:06 AM by zap »

SDSUMetalHead

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:03:35 AM »
Perry,

What company do you work with? Also what location do you work in? I am a Mechanical Engineering student that will be graduating in December and since this is an area I am very interested in I would like to find out about all of the companies that make up this field of interest.

Thank you,

Garet Miller

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:03:35 AM by SDSUMetalHead »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 08:39:43 AM »
Wow fun job!

Is that a visual inspection, or are you brining some fancy ultrasonic or x-ray inspection equipment up there with you?  Or are you just scraping the bugs off?  :-)

I've wondered for a while if there are maintenance requirements that must be met on those machines to keep them "certified for use" - like it is in the aircraft world.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:39:43 AM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Madscientist267

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »
Its cool to see these things up close... I stay curious about just how big they can actually get and still stand upright. :)

Also - I think somebody's been 'spying' on the board here or something...

In the article in the below link about a 7+ MW version, it mentions that there is no tranny like the smaller versions have. Interesting...

http://www.metaefficient.com/news/new-record-worlds-largest-wind-turbine-7-megawatts.html

One thing I don't really get about the design... somewhere in there it mentions 12 RPM peak - so why the red 'prop' stripes? Something tells me nobody is going to incorrectly estimate a unit of this size in the "is it rotating" department. Hmmm...

Either way, looks like a fun job to have. I'm sure it comes with a unique set of challenges to say the very least...

Steve

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:39:01 AM by Madscientist267 »

Perry1

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 01:46:44 AM »
Thank you all for the comments. I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

This particular turbine is a 1.5 mW unit installed in Texas. I took the pic's just today. We are preparring to replace a blade. Lightning can be a bitch. This is one of our shorter ones with a hub height of 65 meters. Using the platorm for some stuff I can't really discuss. You know how it goes. Wind was at a steady 8 m/s but we saw some gusts up to 10.

Plenty of maintenence to perform on these things. Not so much for certifications but to keep them running. Our key metric is availability. Keep em running to make the money. The crews at the farm do all that. I just visit the sites when we need to prototype something new.

Wind farms in the US are among the best in the world. Usually at least 100 turbines and as many as 250.

Here's a few more pic's from the platform.

Perry

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:46:44 AM by Perry1 »

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »
Nice pictures. Thank you for these. I have sometimes seen those big blades on the road in India, very seldom in Finland. They used to produce them a lot not so far from the place, where I'm living. But the production has maybe shifted already somewhere else. Who made the blades you are working with?

What about the gearboxes of those machines? The second biggest factory in the world making gearboxes for wind turbines is 30 km from my living place (Moventas, in Jyvaskyla, Finland). At least it used to be the second biggest, but nowadays, when the owners have changed I don't know if they have shifted the production somewhere in a cheaper location like in U.S. or in China...

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:06:22 AM by hvirtane »

ruddycrazy

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 03:45:46 AM »
Excellent pic's Perry,

I did notice in one of my gearbox repair books are some schematics of several different wind turbine gearboxs. I suppose if I left all the details of the box off the pictures so all the pic's would be a split view of a gearbox I shouldn't be doing any harm. When I'm back on deck next week I'll bring my book home and scan those pic's.

Cheers Bryan

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:45:46 AM by ruddycrazy »

Madscientist267

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »
Pretty sweet... hadn't thought about the lightning aspect of it, but I guess a wind farm with mills that size on it are more or less a storm orgy waiting to happen for anything passing by with a significant charge on it, eh?

What's the biggest problem with lightning? I'm guessing blade damage... maybe fused bearings?

I figure the electrical parts are more or less safe; I'm sure there's plenty of continuity to the ground in one of those just through the main bearing, right?

Steve

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:10:35 AM by Madscientist267 »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 12:26:20 PM »
Great pictures Perry, and if you run into snags with your own projects, you gotta know by now everybody here is keen to help.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:26:20 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Perry1

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 08:41:22 AM »
Ha! storm orgy. That's about it. Realize that these things are put up in the windiest stormiest places we can find. Our feet routinely sees 10-20 lightning strikes a day. Mostly the grounding system handles them and the turbine continues to operate right through it. Mostly. I still see lots of damage ranging anywhere from dime size entrance and exit holes to 10000 pound chunks of the blades being blown completely off. That's a major issue. Talk about being off balance.

Perry

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:41:22 AM by Perry1 »