Author Topic: Which rectifiers?  (Read 1334 times)

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Which rectifiers?
« on: August 03, 2009, 01:34:09 AM »
Ok, remember I'm a fabricator not an electrician so I need the "For Dummies" version,

I'm shopping for rectifiers, I'm building the 17' 48v battery charging version, is there any advantage in getting higher amperage rectifiers? Say 50amp?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:34:09 AM by (unknown) »
I aint skeerd of nuthin.......Holy Crap! What was that!!!!!
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
Re: Which rectifiers?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
Nuther question, is there any way to get this board to send email notifications of responses to threads?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:37:06 PM by fabricator »
11 Miles east of Lake Michigan, Ottawa County, Robinson township, (home of the defacto residential wind ban) Michigan, USA.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:24:38 AM »
Play safe with the rectifier.

The common 35A bridges are single phase and it is a bit of a guess what their rating is when connected 3 phase as done here with 3 bridges.

As single phase units they are virtually incapable of the 35A, it is a resistive or inductive load rating and can only be obtained with a monster heat sink. Even the connectors are on the limit at 35A.

If you can find them 3 phase bridges are more convenient but the decent industrial ones tend to be expensive although they often crop up surplus on ebay and similar places. I would look for something of 50A minimum for a block 3 phase bridge. Voltage rating is not normally an issue, the industrial ones will always be over 400v .

In many ways I prefer to build bridges from individual diodes, it is more work and involves more metalwork but that should be no problem to you. If you find individual diodes of 40A plus rating and 400v plus you will find it easiest to use 3 anode stud and 3 cathode stud. You need two insulated heat sinks and the 3 like diodes go on one sink and the sink is the dc connection. The ac connection is the link between the diode tails or tabs.

These units seem to need a lot less heatsinking than the common single phase bridges.

If cost is a factor the cheapest option seems to be individual press fit diodes. These are pressed into holes in the heat sinks which can be thick aluminium sheet. They are very cheap compared to screw mount diodes and are often found in low cost welders. They need careful fitting and work best in punched holes, the fit is a bit critical but you should manage that although I wouldn't recommend them to someone with limited metal working experience.

Flux

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:24:38 AM by Flux »

FishbonzWV

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:05:52 AM »
Hi Fab,

I have a couple 3 phase I could sell.

It's 100A, 1000 PIV between legs. Also heat sinks.

How's $20 for the Rect, $5 for the sink, plus shipping.

I would post pics but it's time to go to work.

Bonz
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:05:52 AM by FishbonzWV »
"Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion"
H.F.Fisher 1925-2007

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 04:34:38 AM »
Thank you gentelmen, I have several industrial surplus palces locally, one specializes in electronics, he has a whole tub full of rectifiers, until now I had no idea what a 3 phase bridge was, he sells them for 5 bux each, now the only problem is most a lot of these have 5 lugs and they don't look like the square rectifiers in the Dans book, so I'm probably going to need some hand holding to get them hooked up right. :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 04:34:38 AM by fabricator »

Airstream

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »
Five lugs are an indication they are 3-Phase bridges. Obtain the specs online by googling the part numbers and you may be set to go...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:22:02 AM by Airstream »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 09:38:22 AM »
Most of my 3-ph bridges have markings showing the + and -.

The other 3 are the inputs.

G-
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:38:22 AM by ghurd »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

fabricator

• SuperHero Member
  • My smoke got out again
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:37:05 PM »
Now see, that's why I love this place, you guys rock.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 05:37:05 PM by fabricator »