Author Topic: which type of battery for my wind turbine?  (Read 2766 times)

oligo

which type of battery for my wind turbine?
« on: November 20, 2009, 07:25:52 PM »
hi,

i have a 12v wind turbine but have no battery. can i know which type battery will be suitable and amph?

base on the turbine power curve, it's suppose to charge 12amp at wind speed 16m/s.

i've ask the supplier who import the product from china. he told me to connect to any battery.

my question here is what capacity to get?

if i connect a small battery, wont my turbine overcharge it?

will prefer cheaper battery.

thanks

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:25:52 PM by (unknown) »

kurt

• website
Re: which type of battery for my wind turbine?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 07:50:22 PM »
my car is blue what size tires does it take???

how about a little more information how big diameter is this turbine is it a vawt or a hawt??  how many watts does the person that sold it to you say it is rated for?? did this turbine come with a controller box?? what kind of things do you expect to power off this battery??

btw this is what a hawt looks like does your turbine look sorta like this or is it a vertical type??  

these are all things that we need to know

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 07:50:22 PM by kurt »

Rover

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:43:46 PM »
Do you have a link to a site with the turbine?, the name and model of turbine?

Can you describe where you live?$, what kind of wind have at your location?

Tell us why you bought the turbine and what you want it to do for you.

Answer these and Kurts questions, and someone may be able to help you

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:43:46 PM by Rover »
Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

oligo

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 09:23:32 PM »
sorry for lack of info.

here is the link to the turbine

http://www.macro-wind.com/MW200.htm

i just want to measure the power from the turbine.

the turbine rated 150W rotor dia 0.9m

i have the controller that maintain the voltage.

right noe i'm need a cheap battery. but not sure about the size.

the suppplier recommend lead acid but quite exp from what i found on yuasa battery web.

wonder if car batteries will be suitable? then i can ask the car repair shop.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:23:32 PM by oligo »

kurt

• website
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:41:22 PM »
if all you want to do is messure the output of the mill just use a one cheep car battery or two in parallel just be sure they are halfway good ones.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:41:22 PM by kurt »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 12:33:54 AM »
Just to try it, a car battery will be fine.

Unless you live in a very windy area you won't get much out of it on normal days. If you a are taking a reasonable load you will not over charge it except during a gale.

A car battery may give you reasonable service for small loads for some time and should let you find out if you have enough wind to make this a viable project.

If you have enough wind and it looks promising then perhaps you could consider a marine type battery of about 100Ah but there is little point in buying an expensive battery only to find that you can't keep it charged.

Such a small machine will only average a few watts on most days. The 16m/s wind will be rare and you may never see its claimed 12A.

This may work better if backed up with a solar panel to help in the windless days.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:33:54 AM by Flux »

snake

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 10:32:49 PM »
hi friends,i was just passing through this post and a question came in my mind about batteries

whats the difference  between deep cycle batteries, vrla batteries and sla batteries about their uses

i have heard evaryone talking about deep cycle batteries for solar and wind but what if you use a vrla or sla for solar and wind applications?

thanks

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:32:49 PM by snake »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »
Batteries are designed for many types of duty. The common car starter battery needs to produce very high currents for a short time and is not cycled deeply. It has many thin plates with lots of electrolyte contact to give very low resistance. The thin plates shed their active material easily and fall to bits after a few deep cycles.

Old type stationary batteries has a few very thick plates and could stand 20 years of deep discharge cycles. They were heavy, costly and needed lots of maintenance but given that they were excellent.

Most batteries now are of the car type with thin plates or a compromise with thicker plates and longer cycle life. Marine type batteries are not much more than better car batteries and will usually work well enough as starter batteries and stand a few more discharge cycles.

The next step up is semi traction types with thicker plates, these wont work well as starter batteries but suit golf carts ans small electric vehicles. they are good for RE.

All these are lead acid and the difference between flooded, gel and AGM is mainly in the type of electrolyte. There are also differences in plate grid hardening materials.

Wet ( flooded) tend to have Antimony as the alloy. these have many good properties but are prone to self discharge. You can get calcium flooded cells and these are usually classed as low maintenance as they tend to use less water.

For conditions where they need to be true low maintenance the electrolyte is restricted and either contained in a gel or it is absorbed in glass mat (AGM).

As these forms can't be topped up they are invariably Calcium based so that they can operate with less need for equalisation.

AGM and gel are clean to deal with and can be used in equipment such as UPS and are a perfect choice for unattended use.

Where you can give some attention Flooded have some advantages, particularly in completing the final charge quickly and they are less fussy about over charging.

Gel and VRLA ( AGM) have better properties with regard to self discharge.

In general the flooded cell will be considerably cheaper but sealed versions have a long life if treated correctly, They cost more but you get some of your money back.

I would suggest you use sealed varieties if you are away from them for any long time and you want them more as back up than cyclic use and be prepared to spend money on clever controllers.

If you want them to work hard, can top them up regularly, equalise them occasionally and don't want to spend a fortune on controllers the flooded cells are your best bet.

For small solar installations the low self discharge of sealed cells gives them some merit but more panel may cost less when used with a flooded battery.

All have their place and all have their problems.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:57:50 PM by Flux »

oligo

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 11:38:12 PM »
so does it mattter if i connect to a smaller battery capacity < 10amph? what about the chemical type? bcos the supplier suggest 50amph lead acid but it's too expensive.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:38:12 PM by oligo »