Author Topic: Wind Generator Dump Load.  (Read 1328 times)

arcandspark

Wind Generator Dump Load.
« on: February 16, 2005, 06:34:30 PM »
I am just about finished with a proto type dump load I made using peltier thermocouple devices. These little items are just what the doctor ordered. My alternative energy systems usually are installed in a shed or seperate room. This area gets very hot in the summer time and very cold in the winter time. These peltier devices can provide cold air for cooling in the summer and hot air for heating in the winter. I can use the dump energy for the wind generators and solar panels to power the peltier devices and provide cooling and heating where needed. During the summer time the energy shed is hot and I try to keep the temp below 90 degrees the peltier units can provide freezing temperatures on their cold side and their hot side can get above 120 degrees easily. Has anyone else done any experimenting with these Peltier Thermocouple deivices Today you see them on e-bay where they are bing used for keeping the CUP chips in computers from over heating. They use about 12 volts at 20 amps for full cooling effect so two in series handles my 24 volt system, I then place a few strings of these two in seires together with heat sinks on both side. One side has a fan blowing on it to move the air into the shed, the other side has a liquid heat exchanger that removes the energy to the outside through a small readiator. My thought is, most diversion loads can only provide heat, like load resistors and water heater elements. These can provide cooling which can be very useful in the summer time. Just thinking out loud.

arcandspark

« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 06:34:30 PM by (unknown) »

nvmike

Re: Wind Generator Dump Load.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 01:35:50 PM »
Sounds interesting, I will look on ebay for them.  Thanks
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 01:35:50 PM by (unknown) »

pyrocasto

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 04:50:55 PM »
The main thing about it is the power. If I have a 800 watt generator, it's gonna take quite a few of these puppies to get the job done. You might want to offer a bigger wattage deal as well. I'll probably be purchasing the 350watts units chips they sell.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 04:50:55 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 08:33:14 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, just don't freeze your batteries durring a summer tornado thunder storm or huricane :)

Since I plan to have my bank under ground temps won't be much problem.  I had been thinking on these though myself for extra cooling for a freezer or frig as a dump load.

Freezer will run normal on 120Ac all the time and when the dump load kicks in it just gets extra cold durring that time so it won't kick on as soon from the AC. Same for a frig as long as I don't freeze the milk and eggs durring a storm :)

Pipe the heat outside durring the summer. I figure this would be an extra unit near the batteries, not in the house, so wireing the DC would not be too bad. I often keep the freezer in an out building anyway, not in the house, then carry in a large box of frozen foods as needed to the house frig to fill it.

Currantly not using a freezer, who can afford food???

Actually I will be filling it again soon.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:33:14 AM by (unknown) »