Author Topic: Charging Problems Trace Inverter  (Read 3953 times)

(unknown)

Charging Problems Trace Inverter
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
Hello,

I have a Trace Legend Series 1 Inverter/Charger L1412SB that has decided to stay stuck on the 3 stage charging circuit.  It get past the Bulk stage ok but get stuck on the Absorption stage which is supposed to be 2 hours.  It seems to maintain a 10 to 20 amp charge rate and never quits.  It is starting to cook my 4 6-volt batteries (12 votls total).  It inverts fine but I have to kill the AC power to it so it won't over charge my batteries.  Batteries are good as tested w/ hydrometer as well as voltmeter.

Repair places say its too costly to fix because they want to just change the main board and not the components ($700).  Some places have suggested disabling the charging circuit but also say that may kill the AC transfer switch portion as well.  I don't have a wiring diagram but do have the owners manual that suggests a charge circuit breaker.  Can I disable the charing circuit somehow so I can still it as an inverter and then get a remote charger.  I have not tried to turn off the charge circuit breaker (if I even can) yet.  

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:03:42 PM by (unknown) »

hydrosun

Re: Charging Problems Trace Inverter
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »
the simplest workaround would be to have a voltaged controlled relay to shut off the AC power in when the battery voltage gets high enough. Basically recreating an external battery charging circuit. Not perfect but cheaper than repairing the inverter.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:21:16 AM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

Re: Charging Problems Trace Inverter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »
Thanks for the info Chris, sounds like a cool device.  I can get these at my local electronics store?  The voltage is adjustable on it?  When is a good voltage to cut the power?  14?  14.6? less then 14? When it gets stuck, it's putting in about 14.6 volts.  My inverter settings are Bulk voltage is 14.7 and float voltage is 13.3 for my vented batteries.  Thanks for the help?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:54:55 AM by (unknown) »