Author Topic: tapping the grid  (Read 1787 times)

zingaro

tapping the grid
« on: November 02, 2004, 06:19:12 PM »
Ive  often wondered if you was to place a coil in the vacinty of a large transformer station if you could generate some usable electricity? If it was possible and you owned the land adjacent to said station could you bury a larger appliance to really get a jolt? Legal?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 06:19:12 PM by (unknown) »

Electric Ed

Re: tapping the grid
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 06:50:15 PM »
If it could be done, don't you think we would be doing it?  :-)

EE

« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 06:50:15 PM by (unknown) »

zingaro

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 06:57:02 PM »
Actually i wanted info and directions to the PUBLIC outlet
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 06:57:02 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 10:17:36 PM »
Ive  often wondered if you was to place a coil in the vacinty of a large transformer station if you could generate some usable electricity? If it was possible and you owned the land adjacent to said station could you bury a larger appliance to really get a jolt? Legal?

Being near the substation isn't particularly useful.  The fields in the transformer are really IN the transformer.

Being under or next to a high-tension line, on the other hand, makes it easy to pick off a significant amount of power.  The energy flows in the fields AROUND the wires, not THROUGH the wires.  And those fields don't fall off all THAT fast, so a significant amount ends up flowing through the space outside their right-of-way.

You ARE lifting the power company's power.  But at least one judge has ruled that if they can't keep it inside their wires that's their tough luck.  B-)  Your mileage may vary depending on your state and your judge, of course.

There was a discussion on this a few months back.  Basic idea is to string a line parallel to the power line and just outside their right-of-way easement (so there's no issue of violating their right-of-way).  Think a half-turn transformer or a radio transmission line directional coupler.  (Look it up in the Radio Amateur's Handbook.)

LOTS of caveats about how not to get electricuted while doing this and about putting serious surge protection on your system so the power company can't set your place on fire by doing a bit of swtiching that dumps some big spikes into your system.  Story aobut how they were alleged to have done this deliberately, a half-century back, to a farmer who built such a system (after they ran a line over his farm but still wanted big bucks to string him a feed).

Note that even if they don't deliberately try to fry you a little switching can produce amazing crud on transmission lines and things coupled to them.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 10:17:36 PM by (unknown) »

zingaro

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 03:48:18 AM »
NOW thats some good readin` any links to articles on or a phone # of that farmer?

Now how about if the power company has an easment on YOUR property. So instead of stringin up a line make that line rotate in the field, farmers of course! thanks for the comment...z
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 03:48:18 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 04:29:33 PM »
NOW thats some good readin` any links to articles on or a phone # of that farmer?

Sorry.  It was an aside thrown out by a professor when I was in Electrical Engineering school back in the late '60s.

Here's a link to the discussion on this board.  Read the whole thing as I made a couple separate postings that, along with those of others, covers the major issues.

(By the way:  Another thread near that date did a deep examination of collecting usable amounts of atmospheric electricity using a longwire.  Excluding the couple hundred watt-minutes to be had during an electrical storm (assuming you're not HIT by the lightning of course) there were plausable-sounding claims that enough power could be collected to charge batteries over a week or so using a relaxation-oscilator downconverter composed of a high-voltage "doorknob" capacitor, a sparkplug, an automotive spark coil, and a diode, if you have an adequate high longwire in an electrically active region.)

Now how about if the power company has an easment on YOUR property. So instead of stringin up a line make that line rotate in the field, farmers of course! thanks for the comment...z

The farmer's situation was exactly that.

Why rotate the wires?  The field around an AC line is already rotating.  (And in a DC field it's the force you use to push the wires around that generates your power.)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 04:29:33 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 11:30:16 AM »
About 20 years ago, I had a 100' extension cord with a fluorscent trouble lamp plugged into it.  It was 'tossed' in the car. Drove under hi-tension lines and the thing lit up! Did that every time for a few days. Moved the light and cord to use it for work.

Tried many times to make it work again. Never did.  I figure it was how the cord was arranged.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 11:30:16 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

tcrenshaw

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 09:35:18 AM »
My father told me stories of when he was in high school they would take fluorescent lights and stick one end into the ground under high tension lines during storms, and they would light up pretty bright. It appears that power is leaking all over the place. The problem is an economical way to tap into it and enough of it to make reasonalb use a reality.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 09:35:18 AM by (unknown) »