Author Topic: Why dosen't this Work?!  (Read 1222 times)

(unknown)

Why dosen't this Work?!
« on: March 09, 2005, 01:14:29 PM »
Hello,

I just made a "Hamster type" generator. I used a 13 inch metal container and attached it to ball bearings. Then I took 1/2" by 1/4" neodynium magnets and put them around the circle (Radial generator). I then wound a coil out of 18 gauge wire, and made the inner hole the size of the magnet. There were around 50 turns or wire here. I set up the coil to my multimeter, but as I turned it, I saw NO voltage coming from the generator..... What is wrong? I then tried a Store-brought coil, and this put out 2 volts when turned by hand. So why dosen't MY coil work? I even have a steel nut in the middle, to act as the center.... Tell me what you think,

Patrick~

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 01:14:29 PM by (unknown) »

deerslayer660

Re: Why dosen't this Work?!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 06:53:36 AM »
 did you use mag wire?  was it usedwire?  just a guess but i think your coil is shorting out i had a simler prob using used wire george
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 06:53:36 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:25:26 AM »
There could be a few reasons...

firstly - I presume your measuring for AC voltage

secondly...  this is not a very optimized alternator, at least not the way we built ours.  To get even a couple volts from ours, we had to use two coils in series, each coil has 400 windings of #30 gage wire.  So... for the speed your running at, you should probalby be using lots thinner wire, and lots more windings.  The hole in the coil should be about the size of a magnet, and the outer diameter should be about the same as the distance from teh center of one magnet to the center of its neighbor.  The coil should be wound as thin a possible, as the flux drops off rapidly as you get away from the magnets.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:25:26 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

DBGenerator

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 08:33:39 AM »
A 1/2" magnet isn't strong enough to push electrons through a piece of 18 guage wire.  Well, maybe if you had it set up exactly right and ran the magnet past the coil really fast.   Try some 26 to 30 AWG.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:33:39 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 08:41:02 AM »
Are the magnets NSNS... ?

G-
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:41:02 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

(unknown)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 06:12:53 AM »
I'm using grade 40 neodymium magnets. I thought that generators produced AC current...? That's what I'm measuring for.... Anyway, you all really think that by making the coil with thinner wire, I'll be able to get some voltage out of it? Thanks for your replys,

Patrick~

« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 06:12:53 AM by (unknown) »