Author Topic: controlling solar and batteries  (Read 864 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
controlling solar and batteries
« on: April 22, 2006, 03:31:11 PM »
I would like to put a solar panel and a hydro charging system together for the same set of batteries 12v (two banks)two battereis min one four in the other. in the morning the creek runs enough to use the alt. but later in the day it slows to much to run when the water is being diverted for irrigation.  the guy below me has the rights to use the water  from around 10 am until 6 pm for his orchard.  So I am putting in a solar panel for the 5 hrs of good sunlight. Trojon 105 batteries 2500 watt inverter.  I need some help in getting a automatic switch from when the alt stops producing and the solar panel can be ativated I am not there during the day. What will I need is to protect each system?  I have thought of a timer and two relays one on one off. 12v system
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 03:31:11 PM by (unknown) »
MntMnROY 13

Nando

Re: controling solar and batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »
You are not supplying enough information to assist you properly.

Once you give good detailed info, one can tell you if you need protection or just diode isolation without any timers and a source active when is operational and if both working, both feeding power to the bank.

Do you have a turbine and a generator and if so, define the head, from intake to turbine, and the water volume the hydro works with, also the power generated.

Your information, though quite limited, seems to indicate that you really need change in thought to attain the best system.

A charge controller may be needed as the best arrangement for you to keep the battery full in your absence -- even charging the batteries when you are not there.

If the irrigation ditch dries is because the user is up and above you, taking the water and not below you.

Nando

« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 09:57:28 AM by (unknown) »