Author Topic: 1-Wire Anemometer  (Read 4602 times)

calchuck

1-Wire Anemometer
« on: June 16, 2007, 02:54:25 AM »
Some time ago I purchased a 1-Wire anemometer by AAG Electronics. I was able to assemble the unit with no problem but found the adaptor that came with the unit didn't fit any of the ports on my computer. I then purchased a USB adaptor. I have been trying to download the software from their web site and have had very little luck. I have sent their Support Department several e-mails and they don't answer. I have called their phone number and a message says to contact them with an e-mail, dosen't work. I am not a computer person and am wondering if there is anyone out there that has one of these and can guid me thru getting the software or does anyone know how to get through to them? Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 02:54:25 AM by (unknown) »

jimovonz

Re: 1-Wire Anemometer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »
These are good value units - I have two complete weatherstation setups based on 1-wire devices. The USB adaptor can be tricky to setup, give me the details of the problem you are having and I'll do my best to help. I remember that there is a specific driver version required for the USB adaptor. I'll look it up when I get home...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:59:20 PM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:01:11 PM »
Send them an e-mail stating that you want to return it as their software for USB doesn't work and that you know of others on this forum that are waiting to see how it works for you....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:01:11 PM by (unknown) »

jimovonz

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:36:39 PM »
I use the version 4.0 drivers found here

What software have you got? I use weather display and had live weather data on the net here until this happened...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 10:36:39 PM by (unknown) »

calchuck

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 09:00:50 AM »
I thank you very much for the information you supplied. With this I was able to get into many other sources that are not available from their web site. I think at this point I have downloaded everything I can find from all sources at least twice. It would appear that there is a problem with the software created between Microsoft and Sun Microsystems. They tell you to de-select some things but don't say where to go to do it, or how. At this point I think I have done all I can do to make this machine work and have failed. It would be so simple if they would enclude a cd with their equipment but I guess for the Texas people, that concept would be pressing the envelope. I am sure there must be some way to get it to work but as is, This one of the most unfriendly devices I have encountered. I would strongly recomend everyone to look elsewhere for a weather station.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:00:50 AM by (unknown) »

jimovonz

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 12:39:16 PM »
calchuck, Don't give up just yet! The whole 1-wire network thing can be a bit of a pain to setup, but that isn't the fault of AAG. Thats like blaming your browser software when you have a faulty internet connection (though they would do themselves a favour by including drivers/installation details). I think you'll be more than happy with the weather station once its up and running.

How far have you got with the installation?

Did you install the drivers I linked to?

Does your machine pickup the DS9490 and report that it is successfully installed?

Can you run the 1-wire viewer?

Can you see the attached devices?

Does your software see the weatherstation?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 12:39:16 PM by (unknown) »

calchuck

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
  I am not sure if the drivers are loaded or not. When I go to Start and the list of programs, I find 1-wire Drivers listed. When I point on it 4 things come up. 1-wire API for. net.txt, Default 1-wire net, One Wire Viewer.htm, Readme.htm.

Double clicking on the One Wire Viewer.htm, a window comes up and there you can install the One Wire Viewer. After installing that I get the Viewer which lists four devices under a bracket named Device List. The Devices listed are: DS2450, DS1920, DS1990A and DS2423. At the bottom it lists these 4 devices under DS9490 USB1. The USB adapror number is DS9490R.

So, it would appear to me that the computer sees the USB connector and the Weather Station because it is able to list the differant components in it. When I unplug the connector the computer says it can't find the USB port.

At some point thru all this I saw something that said Microsoft no longer supports something called java from Sun and that you have to de-select it when loading. I don't know what they are talking about, don't know where you go to de-select it and don't know what to de-slect.

I sure thank you for your help. I'm not sure if I've answered all your questions or not. If not I will try again, CHUCK  

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 04:39:27 PM by (unknown) »

jimovonz

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »
Chuck, It seems as though you are almost there! Your adaptor is working fine and the devices are visible on the 1-wire network. The USB device dissapearing when there is nothing connected is normal. You still haven't told me what software you are trying to use to capture the weather data. This is obviously where you are comming unstuck. Some software doesn't support the USB adaptor.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:04:30 PM by (unknown) »

calchuck

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 08:15:32 PM »
  As I understand it from the web site, the "One Wire Viewer" is the software that lets you read the wind speed and other info. I appreciate that there are other software out there that might work with this equipment but, at this point, I am reluctant to send another $100 after a device that I can't make work with their free software. Maybe this is not the software you are talking about. Going to their web site is the only place I know to find software to work. Thanx, CHUCK
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 08:15:32 PM by (unknown) »

jimovonz

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 08:42:40 PM »
There are many devices that operate on a 1-wire network, the AAG weather station is but one of them. 1-wire was developed by Dallas Semiconductor (Maxim) and not by AAG. One is dependant on the other and entirely separate. The 1-wire viewer is a piece of software by Maxim that interrogates the attached 1-wire network and displays raw device info. There is no way you can get your weather data from the 1-wire viewer software. You will get raw count values from the anemometer, state values from each of the eight direction sensors, and temperature from the temp sensor. In order to make sense from these you need software designed to use the 1-wire weather station and interprest the raw data. AAG offer some free software to do this that apparently you have missed. You can download it here Install that and see how you go.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 08:42:40 PM by (unknown) »

calchuck

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 06:21:23 AM »
  Thank you. Yes I have been here several times before and still the same results. A file appears named weather_ENG_V5[1]. When I double click on this several files appear. The first among them is named _INST32I. When I double click on it I get a window that says Windows dosen't recognize the oragin of the file and won't load it. It asks if you want to conduct a serch for the origin and when you do, it says it can't find it. CHUCK
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 06:21:23 AM by (unknown) »

jimovonz

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 01:45:26 PM »
The INST32I(.EX) file is a compressed file that the installer uses. The file you want to run is SETUP.EXE. There are 4 files with the name 'SETUP' each with a different extension so if you have file extensions turned off (windows default), you'll have to be able to recognise the executable icon (or just try each in turn!)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:45:26 PM by (unknown) »

alancorey

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 03:00:19 PM »
calchuck:

Windows takes itself too seriously.  Turn off that silly extension hiding - it's dangerous.  You can click on image.jpg.exe and get yourself a nice virus thinking you're going to see a picture.

1-wire is a good thing.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:00:19 PM by (unknown) »

calchuck

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 08:30:54 PM »
  I think we are beyond by computer knowledge. I opened the zipped file and this what was in it: INST 32I   (EX_File)

SETUP      (LIB File)

SETUP.DELL (Setup Launcher Resource)

SETUP      (Setup Launcher (Setup.EXE))

SETUP      (Internet Communication Settings)

ISDEL      (InstallShield Deleter)

SETUP.1    (1 File)

SETUP.PKG  (Pkg File)

I tryed the fourth one (Setup Launcher  Setup.EXE) and it says it failed and that the parameter is incorrect. I'm afraid I don't know what "turning off the extensions is" or how to do it. Thanks, CHUCK

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 08:30:54 PM by (unknown) »

jimovonz

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 09:08:36 PM »
Chuck, if your default association for zip files is not the standard windows handler then the setup program may not be able to find the files it needs. Try extracting all the files to a temporary folder before running setup.exe. If you can't manage this, let me know and I'll make a self extracting file and upload it for you.

This weather station is probably not quite so ideal for those who haven't spent much time on a computer before. I'm sure if you persevere, we'll get it going!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:08:36 PM by (unknown) »

calchuck

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 06:39:09 AM »
  Sure friendly isn't it. I think I am probably in the average percentile of people who own computers and would like to have a operating weather station. To say AAG is not responsible is like saying Ford Motor company would not be responsible if they produced cars with no steering wheel. If they sell it, they should make it work.

In opening some of these files a worning came up saying I was about to change the way my computer worked. Before I trash a $2000 computer, I will trash this $100 piece of crap.

I very much appreciate all your help. I live out in the desert in Southwestern Arizona and the climate here is very harsh. I was hoping to get a better read on the weather where I live instead of the "Chamber of Commerce" weather you see on TV. Maybe I can find something from Radio Shack or somewhere that I can actually make work. You are the best, CHUCK
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 06:39:09 AM by (unknown) »

valterra

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 08:44:06 AM »
If you are worried about that "warning" about your computer being changed, and you don't know the difference between "opening" a zipped file and "extracting" one, then AAG certainly cannot be held responsible.  And you are definitely NOT as competent on the computer.

I agree that stuff should work.  But they can't make EVERYTHING idiot-proof.  I was happy to find out that their software was free!  Yay!  

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:44:06 AM by (unknown) »