Author Topic: Quick boost converter question  (Read 860 times)

Sparky01

Quick boost converter question
« on: June 26, 2007, 07:13:42 PM »
Good day all,

Are there any off the shelf versions of DC-DC converters that will work with a 12V, 10' DanB type mill.

Example: http://www.datel.com/data/power/bwr15-20wa-series.pdf

I have been following Flux's Diary's with great interest,Also Flux I mentioned a while ago about using an autotransformer (variac?) on the AC side with a speed sensor scince I have the componants in my stash of stuff, so is this a viable alternative?

I have not persued using a DC-DC converter to build scince I am an electrician and not a circuit builder. I uasualy can follow along but do not recognize the componants and such. Is there anyone at any point that may sell a kit with instructions? Or am I rushing things?  

Thanks for all the help in this amazing group

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 07:13:42 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Quick boost converter question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 02:10:53 PM »
commercial boost converters normally have voltage feedback and this makes it difficult to use them as I would want to. If you have to go inside and mess about with the signals to the pwm then you are probably into more difficult territory than building your own unless you are lucky to have the commercial circuit diagram.

That little thing you linked to would not really be suitable.

Someone here is playing with a Zahn converter, maybe you could find the details, it seems to have some promise.

You could manage something with a variac but it becomes messy with 3 phase and you need to seriously think about the frequency limitations. A tracking scheme would have to be very slow to obtain a reasonable brush life.

Flux

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 02:10:53 PM by (unknown) »