Author Topic: Led Light bulb  (Read 859 times)

(unknown)

Led Light bulb
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:11:06 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone could go threw the basics of an A-line led light bulb with me.. and maybe how to construct one myself. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:11:06 PM by (unknown) »

vawtman

Re: Led Light bulb
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:45:24 PM »
Hi Bored

I could upload a pic of a led c9 bulb guts.Those are cool bulbs.They almost match the lumens of their counterpart with no detectable heat.

Seems theres 4 led,s in it.Used in christmas decor.

Not sure what A-line is.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 03:45:24 PM by (unknown) »

richhagen

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:06:38 PM »
By A-line light bulb, I assume you are referring to a legacy style incandescent bulb running off of 120VAC in the U.S., and similar 240VAC versions other places.  I have built a 120 VAC led bulb in the past, but did not have good results with it.  I wired about 44 LED's in series with a resistance in series to limit current from a rectified 120VAC source.  This is not a good way to go.  First, with the exception of the latest LED's out there, it is less efficient than a comparable flourescent, say a circle line 22 Watt, or even a compact flourescent.  Second, when LED's fail, they can fail to short which can increase current through the remaining LED's in a string.  The more LED's in series, the more likely this is to be a problem.  I think only one of five strings survived about a year of operation in the one I built.  

If I were to build one now, I would look for the most efficient switching power supply to bring the mains voltage down to a voltage suitable to drive 1 to 3 LED's that would fit in the package that I was trying to put together.  Then I would either use a dedicated LED driver chip to power a string of 3 LED's or build one of Commanda's LED driver circuits that use a FET as a variable resistance element.  You can read about my endeavors with Amanda's Circuit here, which also has links back to her set of posts on the subject:

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/10/12/182256/43

My prototype has thus far proven to be reliable and reasonably efficient.  It may be possible to get an off the shelf switching power supply that limits the current out which would further increase efficiency and eliminate the need for a separate driver circuit for one string of LED's or a small equalizing resistor for multiple strings.

Rich

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 05:06:38 PM by (unknown) »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 05:07:12 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 07:50:19 PM »
yayayayayayyayayayayyayayayayy XD thanks everyone for all the information. It has been overwhelmingly helpful. I'm still a noob at all of this but at least now I have something more to soak my brain into. And when I create my first electricity device I'll be sure to post tons of pictures. (PS to the admin(s) thanks for making a kick ass website I dig it very much)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:50:19 PM by (unknown) »