Author Topic: Yet another version of Ghurd's Dump Load Controller  (Read 4017 times)

independent

Yet another version of Ghurd's Dump Load Controller
« on: May 04, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »
I bought this kit from Ghurd. He now sells them from his site at http://ghurd.info. It was inexpensive, a well thought out design and I had a lot of fun building it.

I wanted to try and build a micro power installation which could power a light, or a laptop, or a small stereo, or two of the above. I had the stereo going last night with the small 7Ah battery (a $5 dump shop find with a switch and small halogen bulb). Roughly calculating from voltage it was at 12.64v so it only used up around 15% of it's capacity powering my 10w marantz amp for a few hours at moderate levels. I've thought about using sub c nicads or even the extravagance of using some a123 cells but they are too expensive. An SLA doesn't quite have the guts to power my small laptop directly properly as the backlight flickers, so I've yet to figure that one out. This is although I've worked out I can run the lappy on about 7w if I undervolt the cpu and have the brightness on lowest setting. It's a thinkpad X31. I've also got a couple of 12v power tool batteries I want to charge with this setup. I've got the bits for it just need to make the connectors for it. I've also been experimenting with high efficiency LED lighting. I made some for my camper (RV for US people) and I got real brightness from 6w of actual usage. Much bright than a fluoro of that wattage. So, that may be the next project after the power tool solar adapter :-)

I learnt alot from building this kit . I learned that on the power transistor that the order of the pins with the thing facing you are the gate, the drain and the source. It took awhile to figure that one out (even though it shows it is so on the instruction schematic). Otherwise, smooth sailing. It's not really a kit for absolute beginners though, mainly because it can be configured in so many different ways and because of such the instructions are to the point but could be a bit terse if you aren't used to that sort of thing. For the setup I have it on there is no dump load, only a Schottky diode and the power transistor. It shorts out the panel when the specified voltage comes up on the battery. The panel I have only puts out a maximum 1.4A so that's the reason it doesn't need a dump load and I'm not worried about saving that excess energy.

As others who have built this kit have said, it's really satisfying to see the dump light go on and then flash as the battery is supplied and then kept at the right voltage.

Because the kit is so miniature I tried to get it all to fit in a box as small as possible. A real bonus was that it worked first time which was great because by the time I got it all in the box if I needed to troubleshoot I wouldn't have been able to without much swearing, calling-of-names and gnashing-of-teeth.

Overall, I think this is the best thing I've ever made and really happy with the outcome. Thanks so much Ghurd. If you want to use these photos on your site, let me know and I'll send you some bigger versions than the ones here.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 04:13:11 AM by (unknown) »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Ghurd's Dump Load Controller kit GDLC
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 07:15:54 AM »
   Because the kit is so miniature I tried

to get it all to fit in a box as small as

possible.

I've seen control boxes that are built on a

small platform and the box is the cover that

fits over it.

....But I'm sure that in hindsight you've

thought of that way too.

Just wanted to point that out to other newbes

that might be contemplaating the same thing.

No offence intended.

Also ...

The panel I have only puts out a maximum

1.4A so that's the reason it doesn't need a dump

load and I'm not worried about saving that

excess energy.

I'm not good at electronics, just wanted to

toss this in...would it be possible to put

another GDLC hooked to another set of batteries?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:15:54 AM by (unknown) »

independent

Re: Ghurd's Dump Load Controller kit GDLC
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »
I'm not good at electronics, just wanted to

toss this in...would it be possible to put

another GDLC hooked to another set of batteries?

If you mean, hook up another dump load controller and battery to the dump load of this controller, and tap off that--yes you can. He's mentioned this before on his site and this site.

Actually, I do something similar but without the extra dump load controller. Just tap off this battery to charge another set of batteries, this time charging the Maha c401fs which has individual aa and aaa cell charging. It works really well and is alot simpler than using the dump excess. If you were actually charging another, separate battery with different capacity than the first, then the dump load controller on the excess of another is the way forward. If it's the same type of battery and capacity, obviously you can charge them in parallel. The reason I can tap off the battery is that the maha charger is just an appliance connected to the battery as opposed to another battery connected to it--if you catch my drift.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 02:44:47 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Yet another version of GDLC
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 07:15:17 PM »
I am very pleased with uses this little circuit is receiving!

G-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:15:17 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Ghurd's Dump Load Controller kit GDLC
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »
The dumping extra power to a second, or even third, set of batteries is Bruce's idea.

Sometimes I wonder if I completely understand how he does it, but it works!

G-
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 02:45:18 PM by (unknown) »

john2008

Yet another version of Ghurd's
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 12:48:56 AM »
What is the Capacitor value of C1 which is next to the W502I(pot)?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:48:56 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Yet another version of Ghurd's
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 01:05:16 AM »
It is not critical.  0.1 to 47uF is perfectly functional in a reasonably proportioned system.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 01:05:16 AM by (unknown) »

john2008

Re: Yet another version of Ghurd's
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 08:10:52 PM »
thx
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 08:10:52 PM by (unknown) »

john2008

Ghurd's Dump Load Controller
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 11:52:37 AM »
would you please send me some bigger versions than the ones here to dodododo2000@hotmail.com? esp. photoes around "irfz4n". May I use this controller for a 12v 100A battery? Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 11:52:37 AM by (unknown) »