Author Topic: multiple power sources  (Read 1804 times)

w9kh

multiple power sources
« on: May 08, 2008, 03:10:08 AM »
#1 - Yes, I googled the board and didn't find what I was looking for....

I am working my way up, so I am trying to do so in steps (translated-I can't afford to buy everything at once).  I am going to pick up 1 or 2 agm batteries to start with.  I would like to put up a VAWT on the roof of my house eventually.  In the meantime, to experiment and learn, I wanted to charge/maintain the batteries with a 50a power supply and use the inverter from a Smart-Ups.

I understand that a wind generator would need to have a load on it to keep it from overspinning, and a solar array could simply be opened.  If I were to have a wind generator and a solar panel, would I need to have 2 charge controllers wired in parallel or could I feed both power sources to one charge controller?  Of course, if I were using the power supply (or solar panels) I would not want it to shunt to a load when the batteries are full, I would want it to open and I would want it to shunt if using a wind generator.

Hopefully you can understand my ramblings.

Thank You,

Kevin

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:10:08 AM by (unknown) »

Capt Slog

Re: multiple power sources
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:48:24 AM »
Solar and wind turbine into one controller is what I'm doing.  

It works and nothing's letting out the magic smoke so I have to assume that it's right. I have a blocking diode from the solar and the windturbine is coming from a rectifier. (ie diodes).

Not sure about the shunting bit, but I think you only shunt the excess, so it doesn't matter whether you are using some of the power or not.  

Have fun.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:48:24 AM by (unknown) »

PaulJ

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 05:36:17 AM »
  " Of course, if I were using the power supply (or solar panels) I would not want it to shunt to a load when the batteries are full, I would want it to open and I would want it to shunt if using a wind generator."

There's actually no reason NOT to shunt solar panels in a wind/solar hybrid system, provided the shunt and controller can handle the maximum combined output. Some charge controllers can series and shunt regulate simultaneously.

The easiest solution when adding a grid/backup generator charger to the mix is to have it internally regulated to a slightly lower voltage than the wind/solar charge controller.

Paul.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 05:36:17 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

uh..... WAIT!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 05:48:46 AM »
"I would like to put up a VAWT on the roof of my house eventually."

You should wait until a successful design is developed. Even then is is not a good idea to mount a power-producing turbine to a roof.

Ron

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 05:48:46 AM by (unknown) »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

snowcrow

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 05:53:28 AM »
 Hi Kevin, If you're looking to keep it cheap for the time being, this is what I'd do.

First, Bag the idea of using the 50 amp power supply, unless you are going to buy a 60 amp charge controller to properly charge the batteries.  This link will help you with the battery aspect of your project.

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_battery.html

Next, figure out what the maximum output of your wind and solar to select a big enough controller. Keep in mind that the wind turbine MUST be connected DIRECTLY to the batteries (through rectifier diodes, of course), and the controller MUST be a DIVERSION of DUMP LOAD type controller. That in mind, you might as well connect the solar panels the same way, and use just one controller. This setup allows you to use the excess power to heating hot water in the future, or other such tasks, instead of letting that power go to waste, while your saving money for more batteries }:)!!

If you starter system is 120 watts or less, and you are into building your own Dump Load Controller, Ghurd offers a great little kit! (link below)

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/8/24/172521/889

If you want to get something larger, to leave room for expanding your system, I recommend using a Xantrex C-Series Controller.  If you planning to go 48v in the future, get the C-40. (link below)

http://stores.mavericksolar.com/-strse-Xantrex-cln-Solar-Charge-Controllers/Categories.bok

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 05:53:28 AM by (unknown) »

Sparky01

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:04:28 AM »
Yes you can use one controler.  

The problem usually arises (depending on your voltage) when 60-80A charge controlers are the max you can buy off the shelf. Then combining 2 or more power generating devices (solar,wind,hydro,gen set) it does not take long to need more than a 60-80A diversion load.

I originaly started with one C-60, and once I was at the controlers limit I had to adda second.  MPPT controller for just my solar and used the C-60 for the wind turbine.

If you have 2 controlers (you will if you are running low voltage) it gets a little tricky because you should set one controlers voltage set points a little different than the other. This is done to get the batteries properly charged and equalized.

I hope this helped a little

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 06:04:28 AM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: uh..... WAIT!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 09:39:02 AM »
Yes

the first problem would be finding a VAWT that works

and if you put it on your roof

your second problem would be sleeping

followed by the third problem, all the nails working themselfs out of the woodwork of your house
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:39:02 AM by (unknown) »

w9kh

Re: uh..... WAIT!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 09:02:25 AM »
Really!  From what information I have gathered, very few people were doing it, but a few were.  My problem is a small yard and overhead utilities.  My yard is only 33 feet wide with the driveway going all the way to the back.  Yes, I am kinda in suburbia hell, but mostly 1 story houses.  Around here, unimproved farmland goes for over $50K/acre, so my hopes of a house in a field in this area are slim to none.

I was hoping to do a mix of wind/solar for obvious reasons, but it looks like solar on the roof may be my only option.

I guess I will have to visit more of the wind boards to try to find out what others are doing.

Thanks for saving me a flying roof!

Kevin

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 09:02:25 AM by (unknown) »