Author Topic: Disturbing video gasland  (Read 10543 times)

willib

• SuperHero Member
Disturbing video gasland
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:36:43 AM »
My heart goes out to all the people injured by Natural gas drilling around the world.
I used to be  in favor of using natural gas ,But i had no idea of how they got it out of the ground.
In a nutshell they dump thousands of gallons of very toxic crap into the ground , unleash explosives to fracture the rock ,since liquid does not compress..
Its insanity . That we would willingly do this to ourselves .

http://sundance.bside.com/2010/films/gasland_sundance2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZe1AeH0Qz8
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)

willib

• SuperHero Member
Re: Disturbing video gasland
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
In the second video , the youtube one , the guy lights his tap water on fire.

mbk

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:04:34 AM »
   When i was younger still in school i had a friend that his well water was like that the tap water would burn but there wasnt any drilling going on in the area except for water wells.also my dads well wouldnt supply enough water so he had another one drilled and they hit gas it scared the water drillers pretty bad they thought thy was gonna blow them selves up before they got the rig shut down .I guess that area had alot of gas or something.

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:05:33 PM »
"Disturbing video gasland"

Gasland  a documentary was/is on HBO this evening,  and we're watching it for the first time.
This film is more alarming than the evening news coverage of the Gulf oil spill. 
People need to watch this film and start asking questions.  Then go after Dick Cheny, Bush... Halburton and the rest.

Why isn't our news networks covering this?

awwww crap!  I can't believe this!

ax7
Mark

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »
"Disturbing video gasland"

Gasland  a documentary was/is on HBO this evening,  and we're watching it for the first time.
This film is more alarming than the evening news coverage of the Gulf oil spill. 
People need to watch this film and start asking questions.  Then go after Dick Cheny, Bush... Halburton and the rest.

Why isn't our news networks covering this?

awwww crap!  I can't believe this!

ax7
Mark
I Know !!
It is sooo messed up.
and all those chemicals are showing up in the water wells .
Its heartbreaking !
watch out Delaware River Valley
This is coming to a theater near YOU.
and it could threaten the whole NYC and surrounding area water supply .

Volvo farmer

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
I live in the gas patch.  They are out here re-working and fracing wells all the time.  We have had zero problems with our well water and the gas company pays to test our well every year at their expense. We didn't ask for this either, they just do it.

I'm not saying that energy companies might not be practicing poor stewardship of the earth in pursuit of profit. However the companies I have dealt with out here have been pretty good to us surface rights owners. I can point to about a mile of good road, four cattle guards and a couple nice gates, all installed at my request and for my benefit by energy companies.

I'm sure that in some areas, drilling for natural gas and fracing have caused problems, but it ain't universally so.  Before you believe everything you see on HBO, maybe go and talk with some folks who live in the gas patch.
Less bark, more wag.

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »
Vf remember a movie called Erin Brockovich?
The one where PG&E poisoned thousands of wells .
They tested their wells for free also, And Paid for doctor visits , With PG&E doctors of course.
just sayin..

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
I agree with VF.

For a short time back in the early 80s, I lived at 41 15' 3.0" N, 80 43' 49.4" W.
The well water was just just short of being almost Diesel fuel.  Not usable for drinking, cooking, bathing, washing dishes, or leaving the bathroom door open (not kidding)...  I expect the EPA would not allow it to be flushed down the crapper to a septic system (again, not kidding).
If a glass of water was allowed to sit for a day, the globules(?) of oil were too large to be lifted out with a small red spoon the size that McDs formerly used for coffee but customers re-purposed for other things (it was the very early 80s).

It is, and was at the time, in the middle of housing developments covering huge areas.
That house was the only one with any water well issues, as far as I knew, or the people I knew where aware of, and people in a housing development know a lot of stuff about a lot of people.

A bad water well is not necessarily due to gas/oil wells or fracing.

Under the WTF heading, I own something like 1% of 1% of 1% of 1/10th of 1% of a newly drilled gas well.
They decided to "postpone turning it on" until wholesale prices went higher.
Supply and Demand.
G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

12AX7

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 11:32:41 PM »
Hello!

I don't always believe everything I see or hear, whether it's on TV, on-line, the radio, newspapers or word by mouth.

Do I believe everything shown in this film?   Maybe not everything, but if 1/10th is true, it's enough to scare the heck out of me.  I do NOT live in "gasland" and to my knowledge there are no gas or oil wells in my state (Wisconsin) but being a human, with grand kids I have to say "WTF!!!".
Fracturing is one thing, but mixing in over 400 nasty chemicals into the water and then injecting it into the drilled wells one has to believe that that water (millions of gallons) will find it's way into the local water systems, and then into our lives.

Google "fracturing chemicals" or "Hydraulic Fracturing Chemicals" and read what they mixing into the water that they inject into the wells.

http://www.endocrinedisruption.com/files/ProductsandChemicalsUsedinFracturing2-16-09.pdf

http://www.earthworksaction.org/FracingDetails.cfm

http://www.propublica.org/feature/epa-chemicals-found-in-wyo.-drinking-water-might-be-from-fracking-825

Just the first few that popped up.

If you feel that that water is safe to drink,  feel free!  but take note that when offered that same water to the gas/oil companies CEOs they said "no thank you"

Also take note that filters or reverse osmosis are not capable of removing 100% of these chemicals.

ax7
Mark

tanner0441

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 02:23:54 PM »
Hi

It is not only gas that corporate greed is rife in..  Read the book by Bill Bryson The Fluoride Deception. The lawyers who changed sides from defending people to defending the corporations.  Or the book by Jannet Star Hull Sweet Poison, about Aspartame and artificial sweeteners. She lists and names seven US senators that now work for the NutraSweet Co..

In the UK Tony Blair and his cronies exempted the water companies from prosecution in fluoride law suits.

I for one don't believe anything that anyone with CEO in their job description, or MPs or senators depending which side of the pond you live.

Brian

12AX7

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 07:12:53 PM »
Hello...

Read on another site where someone's well went bad, after 50+ years of Xtal clean water.   Thirty some miles away a company has put in (just a few months ago) a natural gas well.
An on site gas company employee told the home owners  "you shouldn't complain, you had fifty years of free water"

ax7
Mark

12AX7

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 03:18:03 PM »

12AX7

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 03:20:02 PM »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
A good article thanks for posting it 12AX7.
I said it before and i will say it again , i hope that New York City seriously considers the implications of fracking , because they now enjoy some of the cleanest water in the country , that may soon change though.

12AX7

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 07:58:34 PM »
Hello Willib

I'm surprised by the few numbers responding to this thread,  maybe it's the title? 

Maybe something like..   the "Gas companies on their way to poison you"

Or..   "Gas companies to end your blood line"

or..   "Start hoarding your Water NOW!"

I think if enough people would be paying attention here they'd move BP and their problems to the back pages!

ax7
Mark

12AX7

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 06:46:09 PM »
Hello!

Well,  the gas companies aren't giving up.    http://washingtonindependent.com/91950/waxman-markey-investigate-hydraulic-fracturing

...........  "The bill also includes an exemption “to keep proprietary information from being publicly disclosed,” the summary says. Industry has long argued that the specific chemical mixture it uses in the practice is proprietary."

ax7
Mark

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 07:54:15 PM »
This happened earlier today..

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10206/1075294-455.stm

If the would just use water in their fracking , there would be so much less pollution .

Maybe if they were forced to use stainless steel well casing They wouldnt have to use all that poisonous garbage to prevent the casing from rusting..

12AX7

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »
more "cough" good news!

anyone for a good Texas cheeseburger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq9-ATmG8Ao&feature=player_embedded#!

ax7
Mark

tecker

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 05:45:55 AM »
 These companies are trash the gas making is an easy  product to make above ground . They will go bankrupt trying to clean up the mess . Good riddance.

12AX7

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 12:44:09 AM »
Just wanted to give this thread a kick,  cause it's still going on!

for anyone that cares,  Gasland is on face book.

ax7

12AX7

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 02:25:28 AM »

12AX7

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
Looks like the EPA is going to get into the act.

From NPR.     EPA Connects 'Fracking' To Water Contamination

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/08/143386908/epa-connects-fracking-with-water-contamination

niall2

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
hi 12ax7

the fracking companies have arrived here (or at least the exploratory ones first )  ...these companies say because the shale is close to ground level they wont have to use so many chemicals ......good PR for now  ...but thats not to say the big oil companies wont follow suit when they buy the rights.....

gas company tv adds go on and on about this new clean energy  ...when the real truth is anything but...

early days yet here and oddly Gasland happened to be discussed a little on a radio station tonight......

and when these companies finally leave after 5 years to go somewhere else what do they leave behind ? 

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:54:34 PM by niall2 »

taylorp035

• Stressed spelled backwards is Desserts
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »
I rented Gasland on Netflix.  I highly recommend it, especially for people who live in the Marcellus(sp?) shale region.  People in my region pretty much kicked the drillers out with several large public uprisings..... putting drilling rigs next to grape farms, right on the lake wasn't the smartest idea....

12AX7

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 09:19:17 PM »
It really surprise me at the number of people who aren't aware of frackin, and what it means to everyone's long term health.

The very first episode of the new NBC news show "Rock Center" had a clip about all the jobs available in ND (new gas/oil drilling),  at the very end Harry Smith quickly added "all this thanks to fracking"   They must have received a number of complaints because the next show they said that fracking used mostly water "and small amounts of chemicals"   Never really mentioned all the problems associated with fracking.

I too recommend that everyone watch the movie Gasland.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 07:39:38 AM »
Frackin around here for NG, right now.
Caused a few earthquakes!
NE OH.
G-

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »
Makes me sick.

Is there THAT damn much money to be made in the remaining oil that they can't suck it out of a solar panel plant?

With all this talk about "solar pays for itself in 15 years"... I mean really, what is the deal with this?

If this is the case, there's PLENTY of money to be made with RE. P L E N T Y ! ! !

Just straight up blind greed? Ignorance? What?

I'm listening...

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2011, 07:01:52 PM »

Madscientist267

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 01:37:13 AM »
Wonder if they're doing this kind of thing around my way...

Might be a plausible cause for that first 5 and some change pointer in just shy of a century we experienced a few months ago.  ???

Anybody know right off? (I'm too tired at the moment to look it up)

Steve

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 09:49:03 AM »
methane is such a good clean fuel.
only one carbon for every four hydrogen.
it's all around us as a result of normal organic decomposition.
it's a gift to be harnessed with out harm to our selves or our children.
this drilling and fracking is unnecessary

is it wrong to send these dirty frackers on for judgment?

happy new year all
(except those dirty frackers)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:01:42 AM by electrondady1 »

Madscientist267

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2012, 12:20:25 PM »
I think that a lot of close, hard looks need to be taken at the entire "fossil" industry, and this whole fracking thing is an excellent place to start. Offshore drilling, being a really strong second (and a hard call to not put it first on the list).

Not sure what the earth does with it when it all builds up in excess, but I doubt it resembles what mankind has done with it.

I'm convinced we absolutely could do completely and totally without earth-borne oil (and it's associated gasses and what not) as an energy source at this point, and save the stuff for things like lubricants, plastics, and so on.

Trick is, can the powers that be get "overthrown" so that it is no longer such a cash cow... ? And if so, how to do it...

Steve

12AX7

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »
Sadly, yet another example of corporations behaving badly. We really need to reign them in.

Just my opinion, of course.

Tom